Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 05-06-2009, 07:26 AM   #1

I'm trying to find some pictures of some slide outs on rvs or popouts as some people call them,building my own conversion and I want to see how they build these slides,just joined,what a great forum!! thanks,cameron.

cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:46 PM   #2

cameron:....I have a few but don't know how to do pix on the 'puter and my photographic skills suck!....if you get around a dealer or manufacture-you might get an idea...also the shows for dealers/by manufactures have systems already set up to see...BAL is one just off the top of my head. another thing in this economy a lot of jobbers are out of business and all their staff is on welfare.....BUT the golden nut is that a lot of their welders are working in their garage/basement and making slides [custom] with better materials and even hydraulics for heavier unites....which I might suggest to you as a good investment.....electric screw jacks have a limited life span and if they get into a bind you are skrued....and I won't even suggest a wire rope gizmo unless you mind diving down the road with a slide partly out and in and out and in and out again....what part of the world are you in and maybe I got a friend or two that can give you an hand....geofkaye

geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:50 AM   #3

I'm in southern california USA. There were a bunch of manufacturers here in the southern part of the state that have gone under since the big RV depression last year,but trying to find somebody who built slides is a chore. On the other hand,is there an online supply for cabinets,dinettes,sofas,beds,pull down beds sinks etc? Like where do all the toybox and toyhauler guys purchase all their interior items besides the special cabinets they build themselves?
cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #4

...most of the builders are belly up and eating each others first born.....go to LOWE'S and buy off the floor....make sure the cabinet will not open in transit by using 6"X2" Velcro strips to hold the doors closed....mount with sheet metal screws that are 2" long usually a #12 and use a finish washer in the inside....they will be the same price as the RV stuff and much better made with a back and glued joints. I have been finding good used kitchen stuff that is well made and refinishing the cabinet fronts-replacing interior wood[shelves] if it is stained and using shelf liners-to keep things from moving around and vibrating/chipping....the older cabinets are all wood/real plywood!!! and well made....just need to refinish the front doors and install locking devices.....I made/built a trailer with locks on all cabinet doors-I also used child protectors to keep the cabinets from being opened by "little hands".....appreciated by mom and all that have ever cleaned up cabinets opening in transit with contents all over the place.....use a keyed locking system-one key fits all-and lock all before you up stakes and head into the sunset..... as far as the RV interior stuff-I'd suggest using home type or porch furniture and just attaching it to the wall with Velcro straps when driveing...I use an E- track system in my personal trailer-which is over build but I had it on hand.....also I can change the trailer from hunting-fishing-NASCAR-beach in Fla to vacation mode in 15 minutes...change the kitchen set up and change out the freezer to a refrig-wine cooler or ice chest in 10 minutes....washer/dryer rolls in and out also-along with fans/heaters/dehumidifier/A-C unites/air cleaners/ 36" fans for beach time....the only things that are non removable are the toilet which is an INCINOLET and the Shower...everything else is portable/pluggable/pintable/cleanable/replaceable on the road/including the bed pallets/matraces can be changed out to a 7' round bed along with a stripper pole;&gt [more about that later] I have been working on a instant hot water system that will never run out of hot water-ever!....propane cylinders on the tractor and extra water tank for boon docking or races when if there isn't a hook up...at the end of the race I take a nap and shower while the traffic leaves....I drive a little later but it is safer than the crowd that might be drinking too much....geofkaye
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:31 AM   #5

Cameron...I too am building a conversion on a W900 Kenworth and want to install a slide to accomadate a 72 inch sleeper sofa. I have been unable to find any "under construction" type pictures of the slide mechanisms and installation.I did find two companies that manufacture and sell slide assy's or glide-outs as they call them. The first company advised me to have my "Engineering Dept" send them the drawings and they would see what they could do.The other company, Liftco inc was very helpfull.(liftcoinc.com) They sent me literature on all of their products. I did not realize there were that many types of slides! Depending on size,est weight,above/below the floor mounting and other factors determines which unit is the best for your application. I have spoken with the Liftco folks several times and they have always been very friendly and informative even when I was asking "dumb questions". I did go to a large RV salvage yard and found a unit that would fit my needs.It was in rough condition and did not have the drive unit for $1000. That seemed to high for one that would require a total rebuild. I crawled under,around and thru every new RV on numerous RV lots. Not very informative as you cannot see enough of the slideout assy. I have decided to buy one from Liftco once I figure out which unit will work best for me. (Assuming the price isn't way out of line as I have not priced them yet)If you find any pictures of under construction slides,post them to this site. I am sure we are not the only ones trying to do this. I am new to this website as well and it has been very helpful.They don't mind "dumb questions" either. Michael
mmmc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #6

Hey man-

NO such thing as "dumb questions"...... just watch out for the DUMB answers! (You'll usually recognize them......)
Glad to have you with us!

Gary
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:16 AM   #7

Hi Guys,
New on here, first post!

Have been looking for a site just like this as we own a 1990 (90 to 2002 shape) GMC TopKick (C7500) Cat Diesel, that we are converting the Right Hand Drive (we do that for a living here in Australia) and building a Toterhome out of it to ytow our drag race cars.
So, we bought an electric slide with motor, etc, about 3 yrs ago from a guy in California, just south of LA, for US$850, BRAND NEW!! plus about $75 to get it to our shippers in LA.
Here's his details:

Bob Rowsell
H.B. Industries,
9762 Silva Road,
El Cajon, CA. 92021. USA
Ph: 888-725-4661
or
Ph: 619-561-9048
Fax: 619-561-6803
EMail: bob@hbindustries.us

He was a nice guy to deal with, slide assembly looks great. Haven't got to build with it though.
His website (which I just tried and it crashed) has/had a bunch of photos of the slide install on a bus..

I have some I can maybe post later.
Looking for lots of info for us for this toterhome project too from some of you guys.
Cheers
Allan Reed

A.Reed is offline   Reply With Quote