Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 05-24-2009, 09:00 PM   #1

I WANT TO START A FORUM SPOT ON Y'ALL IDEAS FOR A NEW MOTORHOME-SINCE Y'ALL HAVE ALL THE EXPERIENCE OF OWNING/BUILDING ONE....I THOUGHT I WOULD ASK FOR YOUR IDEAS, OPINIONS AND SUGGESTIONS: FIRST IDEA- A SLIDER ON EACH SIDE OF THE BOX-NEAR THE FRONT OF THE COACH WITH OPPOSING SLIDES TO OPEN UP THE LIVING SPACE SOME MORE-COUCHES[6-8"] LONG ON BOTH SIDES....ALSO TO BE ABLE TO CLOSE IT UP AND HAVE SPACE TO LIVE [VERY CLOSE] SHOULD THE CAMPING SPACE BE NOT WIDE ENOUGH OR RESTRICTED BECAUSE OF SOME OTHER REASON....EACH SLIDE BE HYDRAULICLY OPERATED AND WITH A PNEUMATIC SEAL WHEN FULLY OPENED...I HATE BUGS-ENERGY WASTE-DRAFTS-LEAKS ETC...SO THE SEAL WILL BE A BLOW-UP RUBBER INNER-TUBE THING ALONG ALL 4 SIDES OF THE SLIDERS. I WANT THE SIDE ENTRANCE DOOR TO BE INTO THE KITCHEN AREA-MIDSHIPS WITH/THEN A BATHROOM AND THEN A WIDE BEDROOM TOWARD THE REAR -WITH OUT-ANY SLIDES/WITH THE BED RUNNING LENGTH WISE/HEADBOARD TO THE REAR...SORT ALIKE A CENTER BED IN AN AMBULANCE-VERY EASY TO MOVE AROUND[LOTS OF CABINET SPACE/UNDER BED SPACE AND MAKES THE BED ETC WITH EASY ACCESS ALSO CABINETS/STORAGE.....ANY IDEAS THAT I SHOULD INCORPORATE?...."INCINOLATE TOILET" SO NO BLACK WATER TANK! FRONT TO REAR IS LIVING AREA W/OPPOSING SLIDES BEHIND THE CAB. THE KITCHEN IS/ARE MIDSHIPS. NEXT IS A BATHROOM BEHIND THE KITCHEN-AND BEFORE THE BEDROOM-THE LAST IS THE BEDROOM WITH A CENTER BED.....ANY IDEAS YOU'D LIKE AT ADD FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE?...COMMENTS, [THAT WILL NOT HURT MY FEELINGS] ALSO PLEASE ASK YOUR WIFE/GIRLFRIEND-MOTHER-IN-LAW AND ANY OTHER PERSON THAT WANTS TO GIVE AN OPINION ON THIS MOTORHOME THAT MIGHT JUST GET BUILT......PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AND CHANGE OUT THE PLAN SO FAR...I'D APPRECIATE YOUR CANDOR AND OF COURSE IF Y'ALL ADD SOME BACKGROUND INFO IT IS APPRECIATED ......geofkaye

geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:40 AM   #2

OK now my head hurts, all those caps ;-)

I like the mid ship entrance into the galley, it just makes sense, considering most of the time you go in during the day will be for food or drink.
The head should also be located close to the entrance, another reason everyone goes in and out a lot.
I will be doing two slide outs at the front of the rig operated off a central mechanism that opens both using the truck air supply, at least that is the plan.

I will post more as my plans evolve.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:36 PM   #3

....THE caps are so i don't have to wear my glasses while I type at nite....i will wear my glasses [if and when i find them somewhere around here in the mess called my office....here! they are in the bathroom doing what- i have no idea].....anyway.....the issue that you were alluding to is the exact issue that i was concerned about as all the traffic in and out is crapper use and/or food.....elimination of the back and forth through the living areas was developed to minimized disturbing those that are asleep aka a "nooner" around here......[why do people get hungry when i'm taking the nap?...i do not disturb them!]....also the use of sliding/pocket doors instead of swing doors that take a lot of room...one can build a sliding door for the same amount as a swing door now-and it works!....the other issue is plumbing and a gray water holding tank[though i do not use one in my trailer-i just dump on the ground or where ever...one could have a diverter valve and a tank also]
Old 05-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #4

....THE caps are so i don't have to wear my glasses while I type at nite....i will wear my glasses [if and when i find them-somewhere around here in the mess called my office....here! they are in the bathroom doing what- i have no idea].....anyway.....the issue that you were alluding to is the exact issue that i was concerned about as all the traffic in and out is crapper use and/or food prep.....elimination of the back and forth through the living areas was developed to minimized disturbing those that are asleep aka a "nooner" around here......[why do people get hungry when i'm taking the nap?...i do not disturb them!]....also the use of sliding/pocket doors instead of swing doors that take a lot of room...one can build a sliding door for the same amount as a swing door now-and it works!....the other issue is plumbing and a gray water holding tank[though i do not use one in my trailer-i just dump on the ground or where ever...[I suppose one could have a diverter valve and a tank also-"i suppose"] water supply excreta is not a problem nor venting if you use forced air or a standing vent to the roof...and there are a lot of chemicals that eliminate odor in the gray water tank now...one being just odorless bleach-available at any Kroger's....toilet is a Incinolet so there isn't any hook-ups-flushing-discharge of sewage etc. or draining and the issue of disease is completely eliminated....geofkaye
Old 05-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #5

....huummmm....i also stutter so it seems....sorry about the double post...too many buttons for me .....geofkaye
Old 05-25-2009, 05:19 PM   #6

The only thing I wonder about having two opposing slides is the walkway when they're both in. Does it leave enough room to walk around and visit with people between the cab and living areas? Also, running them both off the tractor air supply doesn't sound too bad. But, are you talking about running them both in and out at the same time? I'd want to be able to do each one independent. In case you're parked on a city street you can't run out the traffic side one.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:48 PM   #7

....MY MEASUREMENTS [OOPS FORGOT ABOUT CAPS] allow for some walkway-certainly not enough for 2 people to pass one another but enough for walking and sitting at the same time....and surely enough for kids and/or the mother-in-law.....a isle that is <20 inches is expected...with 2 couches that fold down to 2 "full sized" beds which in the RV business is 42" each-not 55" as in the home style beds.......we have to consider all the various sizes of beds when building a MH now that the manufactures have screwed with the standard measurements.....the worst case scenario is that the "folders" will not work and need to be redone to fit the existing area....which is time consuming but not that hard to re-due...there about a hundred different sizes of folders available....very few are comfortable though to sleep on though in my opinion.......BTW I don't want air to run the slides-I prefer hydraulic as they never seem to have problems and do not bind up like the leed screw type...i have never seen a pneumatic unite to move slides yet.....