Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 08-13-2014, 07:37 PM   #1

Default Another Interior Wall question

I did some searching the past few days, but haven't found anything that I am looking for. I am new to the forum, so I apologize if I missed the obvious answer.

I bought a HDT 2 years ago, and use it to haul my 30' flatbed and 2 4wd vehicles when we go wheeling and camping. It has a 60" condo and is cozy for my wife, son and I, but works fine for now.
I just purchased a 53' dry van that I am planning on walling off the front 20 feet. I am using the back 30-ish feet for a garage to haul the vehicles, and building a camper into the front 20'. I have spent a lot of time at RV dealers looking at, and measuring, and I currently have my lay-out drawn on the walls/floor of the trailer with masking tape.

Before I start building, I need to make sure I have enough room for the vehicles, and that my lay-out will work with them inside, so I am still in the planning stage.
That being said, I am thinking since this trailer is an aluminum boxed Wabash trailer (53'L x102W" x108"H), that the walls were never intended to hold any weight, but rather to keep the weather out. I am planning on putting the basic amenities in it (stove, fridge, shower, toilet, sink, microwave) and a double bed placed over a couch (think bunk bed, but lower bunk is a couch in a cave). I am also planning on shelving/cabinets that will be hanging from the walls, some from floor to ceiling.

I am not "planning" on using the trailer during the winter months, but anything is possible (it snows in July here sometimes), so I want to insulate it. I have read up on a few builds on what to look for when it is time.
My big question is, can I just build a wood framework inside the box, and tie it into the existing aluminum walls? My thought are to put down a sub-floor, then build the 4 walls out of 2x? , as well as the ceiling. Then I plan to insulate it using insulation board, then sheeting the inside with a skin of some kind (plywood, beadboard, mobile home wall stuff, etc).

I think the wood framing would work better because it will be easier to brace and mount things to. I was originally thinking 2x4's, or maybe 2x2's, but some of the builds I have looked at here are using 1x2's and ply wood. I want lightweight, but I also want something that will hold up to the weight of the cabinets. I am looking for something rigid enough that it holds the LQ compartment together, but flexible enough that road vibrations don't tear it apart.

Does anyone see why this wouldn't work?

maveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:04 PM   #2

Maveric,

Sorry for the late response.

I am planning on building a similar project, only with a 20-21 foot garage. Although this will be a new project, I have done similar projects before and can tell you that you have a great platform to build on.

As to your question, the short answer is, Yes...

One thing you might consider, would be using metal studs with plywood for your interior walls. You can bond the studs to the exterior and then cover the plywood with whatever finish material you want for the interior and mount cabinets, etc anywhere on the walls without needing to worry about finding a stud to mount to.

Are you planning any slides, or keeping it simple?

John

VegasFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:26 PM   #3

I am planning on keeping it simple. I am looking to build a simple camper that can haul my toys. I don't spend weeks at a time camping now, but I want something that I can make a trip to the desert for a week, and still be comfortable. My biggest reason for going this route is that I wanted big brakes to stop the weight of the load, and since I already camp for the weekend in my truck (Freightliner with 70" condo sleeper), this would allow me to haul the same loads, but with a lot more room...and a heater, and cooking, and a shower, and...
maveric is offline   Reply With Quote