Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-14-2017, 05:27 PM   #21

Trailer getting painted over the next few days. The rear is done and half of one side. Using rattle cams again. Sure you can pick it apart but it ain't a Ferrari and at 70 mph you won't be able to tell.
I figured I better get as much done on the outside before the fall and winter months when I can complete the inside. Goal remains to have his finished by next spring
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Ttnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:33 PM   #22

Rear view of trailer with Windows in place
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 07-23-2017, 05:19 PM   #23

Not 100% sure but I know in Oregon I have seen a lot of "Commercial" trucks (Still with 3 axles.) hauling horse trailers with living quarters and have "Not for Hire" instead of GVW stickers and they drive right past the scales. I know talking with scale master at local state weigh station, he said he doesn't particularly like having vehicles pull in to get weighed that aren't company freight hauling vehicles. I asked him because my service truck by the letter of the law was over 26,000 lbs. and air brakes and should get weighed. He asked me to not stop as it slows things down for him at the scale worrying about the company freight trucks that regularly are doing illegal things or equipment that is unsafe. I look at that as a general understanding of what his job really is... Not "policing" honest RV people. Just make sure your vehicle is in safe operating condition and not overweight on any axle and doesn't look like a freight hauler and you should be fine.
ChiefMechanicMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:28 PM   #24

Started the Pallet Wall in the living room
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 02-11-2018, 05:59 PM   #25

Default Wow

I'm looking to do something like this, but more like the concept of a "Tiny House" for all year living (winterized++) that I could cross Canada or the US if I ever wanted (If I ever get a truck to haul it too). I'm in the design phase and trying to squeeze the max out of a 53' air suspension dry van. There aren't a lot on YouTube and other sites on such big trailer conversions. If you ever do a video tour and post it on YouTube, please add like in this post. I'm guessing many would love to see the finished product (or the construction phase).
Attached Thumbnails
53_plan.jpg   53_3D.jpg  
lucrobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:23 PM   #26

I have been plugging along but not finished yet. I have 1500 other projects around the farm that keep me busy but I have been back at the past few weeks. Keep in mind I also have the truck that I rebuilding as well. I will post some new photos this week
Old 02-11-2018, 10:21 PM   #27

Love it. The black paint makes the windows invisible and much more stealthy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
technomadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:50 AM   #28

I think that is going to be a very cool setup. I am sort of catching up here. I had just remarked that I was curious why there were not more dry van conversions.
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:41 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucrobi View Post
I'm looking to do something like this, but more like the concept of a "Tiny House" for all year living (winterized++) that I could cross Canada or the US if I ever wanted (If I ever get a truck to haul it too). I'm in the design phase and trying to squeeze the max out of a 53' air suspension dry van. There aren't a lot on YouTube and other sites on such big trailer conversions. If you ever do a video tour and post it on YouTube, please add like in this post. I'm guessing many would love to see the finished product (or the construction phase).
I'm looking to do the same thing. I haven't really found many dry van conversions on the internet either. The conversion I'd like to do won't be able to happen for a few years yet, but I plan to document the whole thing when it's time.
danbru1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:42 PM   #30

There are already some things I would do differently and it by no means is perfect but the great part is that I am building it.
Pallet walls are 80% complete and I have decided that I am not going to cut and RV door. Instead I am going to build a screen door on the side inside the existing door and have another entrance through the rear of the trailer. Creates some issues but makes it a lot easier than cutting about door. If I put a enclosed awning off of the side I should be ok. Truck is gutted and now starting to put it back together, I am doing all of the interior myself as well. Got the dual stacks mounted on the rig!!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 02-25-2018, 05:43 PM   #31

Interior of trailer looking at what will be the kitchen. The bathroom is behind the kitchen
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 02-25-2018, 05:44 PM   #32

The truck....
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-17-2018, 08:55 PM   #33

Almost two years now and still working on this project. I will have to get some updated photos but have the interior completed and all of the electrical wire done, I chose to run all of the wire internal to the trailer (exterior to the walls). Next few weeks I will start to tackle the plumbing. There has been 50 different ideas I have thought of as I have built this thing. If you wanted to you could put hundreds of thousands of $ into one of these. I like the challenge of completing this thing with as little out of pocket $ as possible and will be into this for under $10K total when finished, and that includes the tractor.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:48 AM   #34

10k...great job! Looking forward to seeing some updated pictures.
danbru1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:13 PM   #35

What a great find a mayflower! Where did you find one of these so cheap? I need one so I can haul all the clothes my wife likes to bring along!

Sam
2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #36

Default Update

Running low on time to get this trailer conversion completed. I gotta have it going in about 60 days if we are going to use it this year and there still is a lot to do on the trailer. The interior lights needs completed and all of the plumbing needs done.
The truck is not even half way put back together either. All of the ceiling and side panels need installed, the floor needs installed, and the seats need installed. The engines runs and I know it will move but I really don't know what I have or don't have on the truck.
So, I decided to pull the trigger and buy the truck I always wanted.....2007 Peterbuilt 379EXHD. Here she is...…

I bring home in about two weeks. It was traded in by an O/O the morning I bought it so it still has to go through the shop/. This will expedite the process of getting this on the road for sure. Not really sure what I am going to do yet with the old Volvo but for now she will put in the barn.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3791.jpg  
Old 03-10-2019, 05:29 PM   #37

Liking it all, best part was spray paint...did the same with a vehicle that showed rust....kept spray cans in trunk..worked great...maybe not worry about getting it all done before you use it...just camp in it till done?
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:58 AM   #38

Mmmmh, I like the Pete.

Still dreaming about that 1949-1955 "needle nose" Kenworth, they can be found cheap, but bringing them over here in Europe is expensive.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:53 PM   #39

75% done!
Interior just needs the toilet and holding tanks. Electric is done and to my suprise it worked the first time!
Trailer has sat for so long that brakes won’t release. I worked on it for several hours today and got the front axle to spin but not the back. Any luck I will have it rolling tomorrow and we plan on taking it camping for the weekend.
Here are some updated photos
Attached Thumbnails
4E9B3660-EE10-4DD2-A065-13D04C285BDA.jpg   BC19D7B4-D598-48A8-A43C-213B44CA781F.jpg   377833BB-4513-443D-8505-D83414F69213.jpg  
Old 06-03-2019, 09:19 PM   #40

A few hours of swinging a large hammer and the brakes finally freed up on the trailer so we will be camping this weekend in her. She is ready to go and I am ready as well.
Attached Thumbnails
E3206998-CC84-46B0-B571-494FCD7B437A.jpg