Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-17-2018, 02:34 AM   #1

Default 20 foot shipping container

Hi all, I'm considering using a 20 foot shipping container as a build box on a ford 9000 tractor or 2000 f/l century. I would be using it to haul an atv around and would make 8 feet of the box for the atv garage with a lift gate and the remaining 12 feet for a small living area. My question is would the shipping container be good to build or has anyone on here used a shipping container for their build. Thanks

jteemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:15 PM   #2

Great question. I look forward to answers since I have no idea.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #3

You must have read this old thread: http://www.truckconversion.net/forum...-trailer-3991/
Old 09-19-2018, 09:46 AM   #4

Default Thanks for the threads

Thanks for the threads, those was some interesting projects being talked about
Old 09-23-2018, 04:16 PM   #5

Conex come in different lengths and heights.

They come in different steel alloys and aluminum.

I could see welding brackets to your can, with matching mounts on the truck frame.

I imagine you want to weld on different doors. Windows. A porch.

A simpler approach might be to acquire a 'straight truck' with a van box or reefer engineered and factory-mounted on a MDT. A P&D truck designed for pickup-and-delivery probably comes with your lift-gate.

We live near the outskirts of Eugene, Oregon. One of my hobbies is walking through our local wrecking yards aka 'vehicle dismantlers'. My favorite is the MDT and HDT dismantler Anderson Brothers. They have boxes such as I describe. Unfortunately, after the engine quits or the front-end gets smacked, the box has zero value, so they get crushed and scrapped.

I hope you keep this thread active so we can see your progress!
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:00 PM   #6

I had thought about a straight truck, but I really like the airtight of the containers and since this would be a simple weekend vehicle it want have much or no luxury just somewhere to camp out for a few nights and I just like having a heavy duty truck that could easily climb any mountain without breaking a sweat
Old 02-04-2019, 05:35 AM   #7

I have a 2001 F/L Century with sleeper and a 24' box plus lift gate I'm converting. My use is for attending model airplane flying events so the lift gate just becomes the porch. Since the size is similar and because instead of toting ATVs I want a workshop the remaining quarters may be similar to yours. I too will follow with interest.
jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:31 PM   #8

well the quest is still on for finding the right vehicle, I would like to find a 1999 century with a 24 foot box with a lift gate and 24' box, prefer a 22' box but a 26' would be bigger that I would want and I really don't want a high cube box, and a auto shift is a must. I did manual shift for over 30 years over the road.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jteemo View Post
I had thought about a straight truck, but I really like the airtight of the containers
Airtightness of a container is bad for a living space, moisture will appear really fast inside, this is why RV have permanent ventilation.

To me, if I had to start from scratch again, I would buy a refrigerated box and pull out the fridge installation.

those boxes already are insulated with 2 (or more) inches of foam, they are really easy to work on (put windows, door, funnels, ventilation, whatever).

More expensive than a 20' container, but you'll save a lot of money and time while installing your stuff.

Meanwhile, I guess you've already seen this?

Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:21 AM   #10

I'm also considering a refrigerated box, was wondering if i could you the refer unit as a stand alone air conditioner unit.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:59 AM   #11

I had not seen these two videos. Thanks for sharing because the box on my rig (2001 Freightliner Columbia with sleeper cab, 24' box, and tag axle) is about the same size as the CONEX used in these brilliant videos.

To preclude hijacking this thread, here's a link to what's going on with Moby.
http://www.truckconversion.net/forum...823/#post48348
Attached Thumbnails
Moby.jpg  

jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote