Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 11-25-2017, 01:18 PM   #101

as long as it is a 3 stage intelligent charger / maintainer you'll be fine -

I just looked at the Parallax website and all they talk about is temperature compensated charging - i don't see any specs nor do i read in the documentation where they state variable charging voltage based on battery condition.

if its a constant (average is the word they use) - then imo its a trickle charger and will require monitoring of the battery fluid level or it'll boil the batteries dry.

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:03 PM   #102

I'm reasonably sure my charger is probably not smart.....however I assumed it would be since it is 2017! I could disconnect the charger and put a $30 smart maintainer in the battery compartment. I guess I don't feel too bad, the center still works good for 110v and 12v circuit protection.

neetchracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:21 PM   #103

Default Charger

Just a few days ago installed the Progressive Dynamics 9270 charger and works just as BushPilot said it would. It cycles through three charge rates and automatically goes into storage mode. Like a cat, it takes care of itself. Finally figured out that my battery banks were connected correctly with 4 starter batteries and three house batteries joined with a relay switch to disconnect the two battery banks for storage. Not knowing how it worked, I never shut the switch off. Tested the house batteries again and they were bad so now with new house batteries everything is working as it should including no shifting problems but an upcoming very long road trip will be the real test. Still trying to figure out heaters, water heating, switch panels etc. Then, Direct TV, Sat hookups, and hopefully, all done. I took a year to semi get to know my American Tradition RV but hope to cut this down to just three months!
ItalGerBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:25 PM   #104

I hear ya. I bought mine from a dude that knew nothing about it, but the price was right. Took me hours of testing before I realized there was a dash switch that activated a solenoid to turn the coach power on/off. lol.
neetchracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 05:47 PM   #105

I still have a couple of switches with unknown functions and 120v plus 12v Bass multi-switch breaker panel to figure out. In "is this broken or do I just not know how to operate it mode" with a lot of the electrical stuff. The new house batteries and "smart" charger cleared up a lot of the strange electrical problems.

ItalGerBrit is offline   Reply With Quote