Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-12-2008, 07:46 PM   #1

As my nickname would suggest, I'm in the remote broadcasting field. Personally though, I have always dreamed of building a KILLER motorcoach, but one that could serve a dual purpose, doing double duty on occasion in my particular line of business. First I was drawn towards Haulmark, having see a couple of their vehicles used by NBC for Sunday Night Football. But my luck in dealing with them has been most unimpressive...like ZERO response. Next stop was Optima...exactly the opposite of Haulmark...GREAT response. And I really like what I've seen of their construction methods (all-aluminum vs. FRP/Gelcoat). I'd love to hear any comments or thoughts on the "Optima way" vs. FRP...plus any other direction I should be looking towards. This will be a 41'. single axle garage type vehicle, not too far off the beam in any strange direction. Mainly it will have a big deak instead of a dinette, a murphy style king-size bed in a separate bedroom that folds up into a wall, revealing another desk that could be used for 3 people to broadcast from. Only about a 3' garage behind that for purposes of stacking gear. I'm also interested in hearing any thoughts about 2007 vs.2008 truck, havig read some horror stories on here from earlier in the model year. Are those problems fixed yet. Freightliner Columbia vs. MS vs. Volvo? I want maximum fuel economy (like to see 10 per gallon is possible.) Benz engines vs. ? ANYTHING else...I'm new at this...and vulnerable! Optima comes with great testimonials. Any negatives I should be aware of. I'm looking at a $250K budget...and am a serious buyer.

Many thanks to the forum in advance.

RemoteBroadcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:08 PM   #2

I toured the Optima Factory a couple of years ago and was also impressed with their product. The aluminum structure is definately a plus esp in consideration of fuel mi. Their cabinet work is also above average. I didn't like the cab roof cut-out design. Even though it provides excellent access from the cab to the motorhome living area, it destroys the structural integrity of the cab. They were (however) working on a internal brace structure that would reinforce the roof. I also liked their 100 gallon grey & black water tank setup (we dry camp alot). The down side is,...they take up 2 storage bays as they are mounted ft to back on the left side.
I ended up with a pre-emission 07 Columbia, 450 MB & 10 spd auto shift. It's not broke in yet but, gets right at 10mpg if I don't run 75 or 80. If you can find a pre-emission MB powered Freightliner, go for it! They're {supposed} to be the most fuel efficient. Anyhow, that's my 2 cents worth.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:48 AM   #3

Any chance of getting "mmmm" kicked out as a "member"? Obviously "he/she/it" is a spammer of the worst order, and ought to be banished forever. Anybody reading "its" posts can see that. We don't need this kind of garbage.
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:59 AM   #4

I just hit ignore mmmmm posts

Doc
Old 01-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #5

Hahahahahaha,, that from somebody posting links to dll removal tools? Hhhhhmmmmmmm?
Old 01-21-2011, 07:23 AM   #6

Give us a look. Home Page. Hawk Engineering Inc. We are still building coaches as many others have gone out of business.

HawkEng is offline   Reply With Quote