Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-30-2017, 12:23 PM   #1

Default Haulmark Construction

As a part of my "obsession" (as my wife puts it) with having a shiny, eye catching, gleaming coach I would like to remove the oxidization from the "painted" surfaces. So my question is what is the construction of the Haulmarks "coach body"? Is it gel-coated fiberglass or is it painted fiberglass? Or is it painted aluminum?

I would like to figure out what it is so I can use the best process/chemicals for the problem. From what I have read on the net you can be more aggressive on gelcoat and get excellent results, where as using the same techniques on paint will damage it. And if you use the paint techniques, you can get the same results in the end but it will take way longer. With there being what looks/feels like a million square feet (more like a couple of hundred...) I want to be able to use my time most efficiently and effectively. I know the cab and hood are painted surfaces.

I am also NOT INTERESTED in the hack job results from using products like "Mop 'n glow" or "ZEP Floor Cleaner", in my eyes that is the kind of thing you would do to a unit that you are trying to make prettier in order to sell it quick, drawing you away from some other issues....

Old 04-30-2017, 12:59 PM   #2

if you don't see (aluminum) seams - its FRB (fiberglass resin board)...aka gel coat (usually).

How to Remove RV Gel Coat Oxidation - These 2 Simple Ways + Bonus Tip

a LIGHT cut or buffing will usually be more than enough.

I've experienced some oxidization on my basement storage doors (which are aluminum skinned) - for those i used a very light Meguiars #9 swirl remover - its always best to test an area FIRST w/ the lightest abrasive and then increase the abrasiveness if necessary.

I had more oxidization on my (fiberglass) hood (flat surfaces) and used the same #9 and a light (electrical) buffing - it looks fantastic and is very easy to keep up w/ now...

to keep things looking nice i use Wash Wax ALL (kit) when were on the road...

I have a local guy who polished my wheels (on site at our RV Storage)....

and now those are easier to keep up w/ too...

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:58 PM   #3

What was that old commercial... Ain't Cool if your chrome don't shine!! Well yours is definitely shining!!
ChiefMechanicMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:32 PM   #4

Chrome won't git'cha home
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:28 AM   #5

I had a long time customer from "Over the Pond" named Scarsella Brothers Heavy Construction. Through some cross communication his engine was not completed as promised. It was a 12V71 twin turbo Detroit Diesel out of a scraper. They were doing a major I-5 project on a tight time frame. Long story short, the foreman told him the engine was just coming off the dyno hot and was headed to the paint booth. Old man Scarsella (5' 2") looked up at him in the eye with his stubby cigar in the corner of his mouth, brown oil stained Kaki pants and shirt with Romeo slippers and his heavy eastern Europe accent and say's "Paint no pusha da plow! You put da sonofabitcha inda backa da truck so I can maka some damn money!!!
I never laughed so hard because that was the first time my foreman (Who stood 6' 10") had met Scarsella and I had been working in the field for him for years. He didn't know how to take someone so short yelling at him like that in the middle of the shop. I knew if Scarsella was not yelling he wasn't happy.
Every time I see pretty shiny vehicles I just can't help but remember "Old man Scarsella".
ChiefMechanicMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:48 PM   #6

Default zep butyl

I just use zep butyl I ordered thru walmart for less than 14.00 6 to 1 mix, and it did a pretty good job getting the road grime off, but not all of it, I would do a second wash, but the wife broke her ankle last night so it will be a day or too before I get that second try. And I will give a report.

Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by porky69 View Post
As a part of my "obsession" (as my wife puts it) with having a shiny, eye catching, gleaming coach I would like to remove the oxidization from the "painted" surfaces. So my question is what is the construction of the Haulmarks "coach body"? Is it gel-coated fiberglass or is it painted fiberglass? Or is it painted aluminum?

I would like to figure out what it is so I can use the best process/chemicals for the problem. From what I have read on the net you can be more aggressive on gelcoat and get excellent results, where as using the same techniques on paint will damage it. And if you use the paint techniques, you can get the same results in the end but it will take way longer. With there being what looks/feels like a million square feet (more like a couple of hundred...) I want to be able to use my time most efficiently and effectively. I know the cab and hood are painted surfaces.

I am also NOT INTERESTED in the hack job results from using products like "Mop 'n glow" or "ZEP Floor Cleaner", in my eyes that is the kind of thing you would do to a unit that you are trying to make prettier in order to sell it quick, drawing you away from some other issues....

2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote