Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-11-2015, 09:44 PM   #1

Default Custom Drivers side

I can't believe that a long haul trucker can deal with cup holder that are too small, no place to put your glasses or cell phone, pack of gum etc. Well I guess you can throw all that on the dash.... what is everyone doing? I looked on line and don't see any custom things on this?

Thanks

Sam

samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:06 PM   #2

I agree. My cab had no cup holders. I am an avid bicyclist so I took a couple water bottle holders that are normally mounted on a bicycle and I bolted them to the dash. They work great. Most often I drink water so I just keep a bicycle water bottle in there. But, when the Mrs. makes us smoothies my large plastic glasses also fit in pretty well. I don't drink coffee but I imagine a coffee tumbler would fit fine too.

Now, how about where to put the dang cell phone? I found a small mesh thing in the cell phone accessory area. I think it's made to hold a cell phone. But, it had some goofy clip kind of thing to hook it into the dash vent. I tossed that. I put a 3M Command hook thing on the dash and I hook the bag on that. When the phone is plugged into the charger I just put the phone in upside down so the cord sticks out the top. That's for Mrs' phone. I put a Ram X Grip mount on the overhead console on my side and I keep my phone on that. https://www.rammount.com/products/xgrip/un7_learn

Old 09-11-2015, 11:07 PM   #3

For my glasses (readers and sun) I have an empty Kleenex box laying on the dash and I toss them in that. Works okay. Not elegant.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:24 PM   #4

More work going on, I have cut out the cigarette lighter area out. Putting in a 10 port USB hub, it will charge my phone going down the road, or if I have my computer running I can see it. ( I already had the hub) I have put a 750 watt inverter behind all the plastic and wired up to the fuse lug marked ACC. Also below that I have two 110 plugs for what ever I might need too. I am also redoing the flat screen tv area, I'll have it swing out pointing toward the rear when not moving, but have to figure out a kool latching system for the mount. I will have tons of room up there for the satellite rec,Nomad 2 box, computer,Wireless router/repeater and some signal boosters for the wifi and cell phone.

What does everyone do if they have a in motion Sat while they drive, run the gen or have a big ass inverter? What about the boosters what kind are you guys using?
2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:33 PM   #5

I don't have an inverter in mine. I just run the generator if we need 120 volts. Gives me a good reason to exercise the generator.