Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 01-17-2007, 05:48 PM   #21

NRC had an Argosy at the PRI show a couple of years ago.

rjbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:29 PM   #22

Hey! Does anyone have pics of that COE conversion! Several people told me about that COE conversion but I did not see it! Dave

Racing4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:32 PM   #23

Dr. Fun, Dr. Fun,

I was recently on another RV Forum. I notice the many of the same member names which appear on this site. As I pointed out on that site an open discussion helps customer locate good conversion companies. At the same time when someone on the site pushes one company or bashes another I question the reason why.

Since joining this site I have noticed many of the members seem to push one conversion company or another. From my past RV research I question any blogger over selling one company or another. In reviewing this site I see several other members have notice the same issue. My question is always what do they have to benefit from over selling one conversion or another?

You seem to be a big fan of Transport Design. You state you had a coach built by this company. Did you see a COE being completed while your conversion was in the shop? I do not find any photos on their site of a CEO conversion.

The reason for my question stems from a review of your posting on this site. You appear to know more then the average RV customer. You answer the question as if you build or sale the units in question. You are way too eager to funnel sales leads to Steve at Transport Design! Are you the marketing agent for Steve at Transport Design? Or do you just believe the company can design and complete the project? Why do you believe this company can complete the project?

Respectfully Submitted!
Old 01-19-2007, 08:16 PM   #24

Whenever a person buys a certain brand of anything (especially expensive things) feel they have made a choice to go with the best they can afford. I looked at the pics Dr Fun posted and they did a nice job. I think Transport Designs has come a long way. There were a couple of little things I would question but IMO he got a nice conversion.

Some conversions......
There are some conversions on here that I would seriously question and point out many questionable ways of doing things......just look at the pics and use common sense. How do the interior sheets not wrap when there are no nailers for the edge of the sheets? Lp tanks put in without a vented door or open to ground so the vapors can escape. Putting water and sewage tanks in then doing the sheeting......how do you ever service the tanks when they can't fit through the doors. 5.5 kw generator will run two roof airs......but not much else, too small why do it? Insulation compressed to studs has relatively no r-value.Square entrance and compartment doors went out 5 years ago, radius corners look nicer and cost the same, slam latches are required. New conversions with a crappy 3 piece shower surround. How are the basements heated? Square corners on coach are oudated and just plain shitty looking. How are the floors insulated? One horizontal 2x3 tube running lengthwise for the floor and a 2x2 running length wise for the roof is not enough to keep the twist out, not to mention securing the sheeting. No diagonal bracing of any kind.Undercoating is not a proper rustproffing for bare steel.Just some general obserations for you.

Randy
rjbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:18 PM   #25

Quote:
You seem to be a big fan of Transport Design. You state you had a coach built by this company. Did you see a COE being completed while your conversion was in the shop? I do not find any photos on their site of a CEO conversion.

The reason for my question stems from a review of your posting on this site. You appear to know more then the average RV customer. You answer the question as if you build or sale the units in question. You are way too eager to funnel sales leads to Steve at Transport Design! Are you the marketing agent for Steve at Transport Design? Or do you just believe the company can design and complete the project? Why do you believe this company can complete the project?
Respectfully replying...

Thanks for the compliment about knowing more than the average customer. My knowledge is only from years of reading and comparing products.

I am not a marketeer or sales rep of any kind -- just a satisfied customer. FWIW, I believe that some of Transport Designs' products are sold through or marketed by Cowboy Cadillac.

I specifically stated in my earlier posting that I did not know if Transport Designs had done a COE conversion before. I do know that they have done many, one-off, highly custom rigs and that the team has the skills necessary to design and build a COE conversion.

I'm no more eager to funnel sales through Transport Designs than a satisfied customer of Showhauler or Toolset or any other conversion company would be. It's no different that the Windows/Linux/Apple preferences in computer operating systems or the Ford/GM/DC preferences in cars and trucks. If you find a company and product that you like, you tend to recommend that product to others. If you are treated badly, you tend to dissuade others from that product.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing4fun:
Hey! Does anyone have pics of that COE conversion! Several people told me about that COE conversion but I did not see it! Dave
I'm not exactly sure which pictures you're looking for but this thread has a few pics and some links to other COE rigs:

Warpath posting in this forum
Old 01-21-2007, 01:53 PM   #27

"My Two Cents "

I am not Bashing Dr. Fun or any person who has spent the time to travel to "EACH" manufacture. It appears Dr. Fun is part of the sales team by his comments. Not giving advice on the other of quality builders he travel to visit or investigated before selecting the company in question. He also offers way to much advice which would only be know by a manufature or member of a sales group. That is what I see. Maybe I am wrong. It would not be the first time. LOL.

I have traveled to the Renegade plant. They have a nice product but it was not what we wanted. But I will not point out the reason why. That would be unfair to the manufacture. I also travel to NRC, Showhauler and the Wild side plant. Each had a great product line. I have met many of the dealers whom sell Renegade and Showhauler and other so called custom conversions. Most everyone I have met appear to be people using the internet to make a living. That is why I support sites like this.

On any Rv Truck Conversion Web Site one common theme appears to be the middle man issue. Renegade, Showhauler and other conversion lines are sold via Dealerships. AKA better known as Middle Men? Most of these middle men sell conversions and or trailer for several companies. All of these middle men make a profit. Without the retail middle men Renegade and Showhauler could not turn out the large numbers of conversion. The small conversion companies also use middle man. So ask yourself why are these guys bashing one conversion or the other? Everyone manufacture a product for customers who like their coach.

For the guys looking for information on Rv Truck Conversions and manufactures, please discount comment positive or negative response about one conversion or another. Every plant I visited had positive marketing and sales points. Why would anyone on a message board push one manufacture so hard if they were not selling the unit or building the unit? Ask yourself why?

When I sold my heavy equipment and construction business I walked into an RV dealership to explore the new truck style motor homes. The sales person did not know of my back ground and started in on the canned sales pitch you speak off which he learned at manufactures meetings. It was far from truthful. But as it has been pointed out for most companies the truth would hurt sales.

About this same time the internet was coming of age. I started reading forms like this. In these forums I found the same issue except this time it is a dealer or sales person posing as helpful blogger. Now anytime a blogger attempts to influence the reader, guess who I call. Yes, the company they are degrading. I am learning very quickly while surfing the internet that many of the people tossing their two cents in on these topics do so on several RV truck hauler sites.

In most cases the companies they are bashing have been the most educational and informative. So I believe the education process is what most manufacture are afraid of. Why?

When the reader finds anyone knocking or spinning anything stop. Contact the vender directly to find out more about that company. This holds true for the company Dr. Fun is promoting. Never take anything at face value. That is what I see. When anyone is looking for a new or used RV only believe a small fraction of what you read on the internet or in trade magazines that generate their profit from RV dealers or RV Manufactures advertising. Remember it's all about the company and the warranty.

These sites are great place to locate new vendor. In my 40 years of dealing with the RV business on a personal level. I have learned when anyone attempts to steer me in one direction or the other they have a personal motive.

Most quality RV is only as good as their warranty. I have owned everything from cheesy travel trailer to Prevost bus conversions. If the dealership tells you the Trailer or Motorhome has less then a three year bumper to bumper warranty run off the lot as fast as you can! Do not fall for the extended warranty B/S.

A quality conversion will have a long warranty. Don't fall for the "it's as good as a Prevost for half of the price". You can't get quality on a beer budget. If you are on a beer budget look for a quality unit that is 3 or 4 years old but remains under factory warranty.

If you are planning to spend $50,000 or $250,000 on a conversion go see all of these manufactures. To close, my advice is to do your own research. Consider a few short vacations to visit the manufactures and ask for a list of customer who have purchased their conversion. It appears to me to be the only way to get the information you need.

If you read my bloggs you will see I was taken for a $200,000.00 dollar ride. I found the builder listed on a web site like this. I traveled to the shop and bam! Before I know it my money was gone! I will admit I was not the brightest bulb in the room. I do not blame the internet. I have purchased many nice products since my loss. I blame the retail RV Dealer AKA middle man who directed me to the builder and the builder himself. The dealer collected his profit and refused to return my deposit. The manufacture filed numbers with the IRS. The internet site I found the ad was not at falt I was for believing the bloggs. Lesson learned.

That is why I question anyone pushing one company too hard. Like Dr. Fun. Again he may be a happy customer but he would appear to me to work for the company in question. If I am incorrect I apologize.

This has been a very positive exchange of Ideas. Thank You Mr. Bill for the Truck Conversion format.

Respectfully Submitted,
Dave
Old 01-30-2007, 09:00 PM   #28

Hey Dave-
Has it possibly occured to you that the reason Dr Fun pushes Transport Designs so much is that he REALLY LIKES IT? I do the same for various products to friends of mine but I DO NOT work for or professionally promote the companies making these products. If Dr Fun says he does NOT work for or sell Transport Designs products, why the heck would he lie about it? Lighten up, already!

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote