Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-03-2008, 07:59 AM   #1

Anyone out there ever re-engine a older Gmc 7000 1986 (8.2 Detroit, 5+2) with more H.P. and Torque.
I like the older trucks, I have a nice 86 toter, payed for, and nice for pulling my 26' tag.
Any imput ? I've looked at the 8.3 Cummins, allison Auto. Like the M11 also. thank you....Monte

mg oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:54 PM   #2

....engine is worth more than the truck....economics are a looser BUT if it makes you happy and you can do the work-have at it!....gas to diesel is a b-atch of problems-but it can be done! Diesel to diesel is much easier but if labor is free and you got the tools it is all yours to do....I wouldn't bother myself as the market is tanked and anyone with cash is king!....you can name your price now for what you want and they will bend over!....geofkaye

geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:31 PM   #3

Thank you geofkaye, I live in the northwest and have been shopping around as of late. You are right, cash is king right now. Alot of the shop have good used equipment for sale. I still looking for the right comb, I'm not big diesel savy on the big stuff, but kind'a fun learning the stuff. I have the tools, place to do it in. Like the 8.3 Cummins, just have to jump on go. My old Boiler is kind'a fun to have, lots of work, but overall in very good shape. Thank you for your imput...Monte
Old 10-08-2008, 10:30 PM   #4

Been there where your at.
M-11 Is the best way to go if your really needing that much torque & HP. M-11 has a little more more variance on HP settings than a 8.3. The 8.3 is a better design for Industrial use than truck applications.
Your limiting factor is the rear end and trans and maybe even the front axle rating/brakes of your GMC.
Best to find a wrecked donor truck, swap the undercarriage, engine,trans and have all the brackets-hangers-widgets available for re-use in the conversion. Problem is the 7000 is a light GVWR unit in comparrison to your conversion desires application, so a lot of modifications would be needed. But, King of the hill when complete!
Good luck!
HotRodKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:39 AM   #5

Thank You HotRodKW for the imput. As geofkaye said, cash is king right now, there's lots of Stuff out there. The donor truck is the best way to go, all the little widgets are time saver. Been to several salvage yard as of late, lots there. Thank you again....Monte