Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 08-12-2005, 04:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Ps.Thanks for fixing the Post......
Glad to do it! Actually I was curious to check out the site myself, and figured that was the best way for myself and others to do so. Thank you for the link!

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:16 PM   #22

Hi gang. I just received a "kit" from Donvel. It includes air bag suspension add ons for the steer axle and a set of control valves for the existing rear air bags and all the air line valves and gauges needed.. As soon as I can get to a place to do the modification I'll come back and let you know how it rides.

trowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 10:25 PM   #23

......excellent!....I'd always interested in suspension upgrades....geokaye
Old 10-07-2005, 05:57 PM   #24

Is this Donvel's own kit or are they selling the Brock's "Add a Ride" kit? Sounds like a good deal either way; I'm just curious as to whether there was another player in the front air-ride market besides Brock's.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:32 PM   #25

All I know is that the parts have a Donvel label and a patent number along with a statement that other patents are pending. I'm not familiar with Brock products. I got the valves installed on the rear and the front airbags installed except for the airlines. So far the process has been pretty straightforward except that two of the bolts in front are tough to get nuts on inside the frame. That might be different on other model trucks. The air fittings are push-on. Another couple hours to get the air lines run thru the firewall and mounting the gauges and I'll be ready to roll. It might be a few days until I can get back to it.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:13 PM   #26

I have since checked the Donvel site; it is a different product than Brock's. The Donvel setup acts more to stabilize than to soften the ride like Brock's does.
On Brock's setup the rear of the front spring is disconnected and an airspring is installed between the rear of the spring and the frame, thereby relying on the airspring to fully support the load and apparently really smoothing the ride.
The Donvel system on the other hand is installed WITHOUT disconnecting any part of the existing spring, but instead uses an airspring to help stabilize the ride rather than soften it.
Each company is attacking a different issue:
Donvel- instability
Brock's- Rough or stiff ride

I hope this helps to explain things a little. It looks like either product should do what it is designed to do.

Gary
Old 10-16-2005, 07:11 PM   #27

Here's an update. I got the parts installed. I found I need longer fingers and a wrist that bends in a few more places. The hardest part of the install is getting the nut on the bolt inside of the frame behind the exhaust on the curb side. I only had about 100 miles on the set-up when I blew one of the four airbags. The are Firestone products so I think I just happened to get a bad one... that would be typical for my luck. Anyway, the ride is definitely improved. I want to get a few more miles under my belt before making a full endorsement but first blush seems to indicate it's going to be money well spent.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:28 PM   #28

.....we used to use that air springs on the back/front of stock cars for "wedge" adjustments it was easier that way instead of cranking up/down on the frame bolt to add/subtract wedge to the passengers side.....It was a good system and some even added a adjustment valve on the inside of the cab to make things work faster....I assume things are different now....we used actual car frames unlike stock cars now....we could adjust wedge and leed with a 3/4 inch air wrench or a rachet and air chuck depending on how far things were out......then again we races on dirt....not blacktop.....geofkaye
Old 10-17-2005, 07:32 PM   #29

Here's an update on the blown airbag. I sent an email to Donvel on Sunday night about the bag. Monday morning I get a phone call from them. The bag will be replaced under warranty, no questions asked. As soon as I can stop my trip long enough to get the bag delivered I'll have it in hand. So far so good. They didn't even ask for the bad part to be returned. Maybe they will in the new shipment. It wouldn't surprise me if they did.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:03 PM   #30

....didn't Firestone have a recall on some air bags some time ago?.....I don't know where to start to look....geofkaye
Old 10-24-2005, 07:52 PM   #31

I don't know about any recalls. When I got the blown airbag off of the truck I discovered that it had contacted the exhaust and melted. A closer look during my installation would have caught the small distance. I have wrapped the exhaust with two layers of heat insulation tape so that should solve the problem. Donvel replaced the bag but requested that I return the old one. I did that with a letter of explanation about the installation. We'll see what they have to say but I don't expect to hear any more since nothing was said in their instructions about the exhaust being a problem. I now have a few hundred more miles on the Donvel system and I am pleased. I would recommend them for softening the ride. It's still a stiff suspension but the jolts are softer and don't rattle your teeth so much. It ain't a caddy after all.