Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-27-2005, 04:44 PM   #1

I just bought a new M2 and I'm in the process of making a steel flat bed for it. That way I can haul my Jeep on the bed, slide a camper box on it or hook up the trailer with both Jeeps on it and still have the camper box mounted. This plan gives me three scenarios for traveling and hauling.
My question is about mounting the bed on the truck frame. I believe I saw here where somebody was mounting their bed on the truck frame with a piece of wood (2x4?)in between the frame and bed rail acting like a spacer. The guys in my town just use a piece of rectangular steel tubing. Is the wood okay to use? Is it accepted practice? Any good reason to use it over the steel?
Thanks for the advice to a truck conversion noob! The reason I went with the M2 instead of a class 8 is because of space requirements, less money, tighter turning radius, less money, etc. Right now the M2 fit my needs better. Besides it was less than the cost of a nicely appointed F-350 dually. Much more torque also. Thanks for your help. Jimbo

Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:57 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo:
I just bought a new M2 and I'm in the process of making a steel flat bed for it. That way I can haul my Jeep on the bed, slide a camper box on it or hook up the trailer with both Jeeps on it and still have the camper box mounted. This plan gives me three scenarios for traveling and hauling.
My question is about mounting the bed on the truck frame. I believe I saw here where somebody was mounting their bed on the truck frame with a piece of wood (2x4?)in between the frame and bed rail acting like a spacer. The guys in my town just use a piece of rectangular steel tubing. Is the wood okay to use? Is it accepted practice? Any good reason to use it over the steel?
Thanks for the advice to a truck conversion noob! The reason I went with the M2 instead of a class 8 is because of space requirements, less money, tighter turning radius, less money, etc. Right now the M2 fit my needs better. Besides it was less than the cost of a nicely appointed F-350 dually. Much more torque also. Thanks for your help. Jimbo
Jimbo
yes, strips of oak (1x4" should be ok for a low profile) and U-bolts is a good way to mount a utility bed.
however if you plan to haul a camper on it i would suggest you use rubber body mounts and fabricated frame brackets. check out AV Anti-Vibration rubber mount Products
hope that helps
-in the shop: Pete "38
spooner is offline   Reply With Quote