Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-31-2008, 04:05 PM   #1

The Tidewater Recreational Vehicle Show will be held at the Virginia Beach Convention Center 1/16/09 (12p-8p), 1/17/09 (10a-8p) and 1/18/09 (11a-5p). Admission is $8.00.

dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:55 AM   #2

Will this be a good show for conversions?

Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:09 AM   #3

Not sure, first one I've been to since I became interested in building one. I'm sure they'll have some "high end" models. I'm going to check out the market and get ideas on how the manufacturers build them (and custom if any are present), pricing, and what options are available. I figure industry shows like this are a treasure trove of free ideas in my quest to design my "dream" rig :-)
Old 01-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #4

I visited the Tidewater RV Show Friday evening. I looked at all the rigs but especially focused on the 5vers and Class A's. They had all of the major manufacturers from dealers around the region. The most expensive rig was a Class A at approx $275,000. I was paying close attention to the quality and construction of the units and comparing differences. I found that, no matter what the cost range, all of the construction, especially on interior walls, seemed "weak" (thats the best term I can think of at the moment). This included the expensive units. The interior walls flexed when you pushed against them, the doors were cheap and the fit poor on all the units, and the countertops that looked like expensive marble were, upon closer inspection, cheap laminate that wasn't even as tough as the Lowe's laminate counters in my kitchen. Also didn't like the layout of the units for functionality for daily living.
Conclusion: For the price they are asking on even a lower priced 5th wheel (approx $35,000) I can custom build a rugged, high end unit for the same price or less. Unless you are spending a million for one of the high end coaches you simply can't get a quality built rig from the average manufacturers. I have always been skilled mechanically (nuclear welder, carpenter, medical device development/repair, mechanic) so I have no doubt I can build a solid rig at a reasonable price that would rival a million dollar unit. The production line units just aren't built to handle full time living or long term life span. They might do for some, but if I'm going to put the money into a rig its going to be something built tough to my quality and functionality standards.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:00 PM   #5

dgorila1 are you in the hampton rds area im in va beach looking for someone to build a shell
varedknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:38 AM   #6

Yes, but I don't have the tools, facilities, or time right now to start a project. Wish I did because I'd be starting on my own rig :-) I'm in the planning stages right now.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:03 PM   #7

Hi, If your interested I build the heavy construction part of the conversion. I dont prefer to the insides, Just my own. You can contact me at 678-859-8917 Name is Warren Thanks.

racerdude95 is offline   Reply With Quote