Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-01-2005, 01:31 PM   #1

I remember reading in an earlier post that you were looking for a powerful horn for your truck.

Mr Rogers says we're all special and have special needs...And Mr Roberts is a nice, well mannered man right?

Well, look no further. Your dreams can come true.

Video shows a person who installed a water ferry horn on his vehicle and drives around in crowded areas giving the local folks a blast of it.

Looks like it scares the hell out of them.

http://www.filecabi.net/v/file/ferryhorny/wmv

http://www.hornblasters.com

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 02:06 PM   #2

You know as much fun as it sounds, the guy is asking for a ticket. I once had to go to court - and luckily won - for honking without emergency, or whatever that exact paragraph is called in Los Angeles.

Walter

WalliK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 02:09 PM   #3

I just posted it for entertainment.

So we all have had our warning. Let's act like responsible, mature adults now. No premature or unnecessary blasting of your horns.

Not only will he get a ticket, but possibly a lawsuit if somebody got hurt because the horn scared them and they jumped and fell or whatever.

People, please use your horns responsibly.

This unit does look interesting. It's the most expensive and maybe the loudest?

http://www.hornblasters.com/products...=1&item=NAK5LA

Here's how the hornblasters.com site and his interest in horns all got started:

"I remember when I was 8 years old my father took me on an outing once to the Train Exhibit in Greenfield Village Museum in Detroit Michigan.

We spent the day there looking at these larger then life trains, they made me feel like a dwarf. Without prior warning, the conductor blew the horn and the sound felt as though it pushed me back 3 feet. It was such an Earth Thundering experience that I havent forgotten how it affected me to this day.

I saved my money cutting lawns and washing windows for years, and when the time finally came that I was old enough to drive, my father offered to help me purchase a car. I declinded and explained that I wanted a truck. And when I finally did get that truck the first thing I wanted to do was add a set of Train Horns to it like the ones I heard years ago in Michigan. After extensive research and testing, I found a manufacturer for the horns that met my standards. I've had them on my truck for some time now, and everywhere I go people ask me about them. Some years later I started Hornblasters Inc. We are the authority in 12volt locomotive train horn kits for your Car, Truck, SUV, Boat, or R.V. All of our products are made from the Highest quality materials available and will provide you with years of good useage."

Read some of the customers testamonials:

http://www.hornblasters.com/letters.php
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:24 PM   #4

Oh, it was for entertainment only, I though you referred to a new style of "right of way" and "merging" lol

Well, in my case it did not help that cops who were on the szene assumed I honked at them cause they detoured traffic...

Walter
Old 10-01-2005, 02:27 PM   #5

Actually just checked the link you provided and read the following:

"The 5 aluminum bells can be easily reversed allowing you to project sound in both directions."

So it IS a safety devise. How you think tailgaters will react when they get the message? lol, they will fall back at least half a mile.

Walter
Old 10-01-2005, 02:41 PM   #6

Those train horns must be seriously loud.

I scare easy from noises that I'm not expecting so I understand the concept.

Let's see who will be the first member to purchase and install a set.

I haven't found anything about decibel levels at certain distances. Just found this: Over 140db @100 PSI on one of their units. Doesn't mention distance from horn.

Anyone know about sound?
Old 10-01-2005, 02:45 PM   #7

I'm thinking of pulling up next to the kids with the boom boxes in their cars, that I dislike so much, and give them a few blasts of the horns...sounds fair right?

Noise for noise, right?

But I might get shot in the process so maybe I won't do it, but it sounds like proper revenge.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:49 PM   #8

Dont know anything about sound, but Dollar bills...
$ 2,400 of them is a lot.
But then again, no money is too much for a safety devise, right?
Old 10-01-2005, 02:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by WalliK:
Dont know anything about sound, but Dollar bills...
$ 2,400 of them is a lot.
But then again, no money is too much for a safety devise, right?
That's right. A few blasts of a horn to prevent an accident from occuring but causing another accident because of the loud noise...The judge/jury would look in our favor right?

Maybe we can pull our resources together and buy as a team for 10-20-30% off.

Let's see, 30% off of $2400 then becomes $1800. Much more affordable.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by BravestDog:
Those train horns must be seriously loud.
I haven't found anything about decibel levels at certain distances. Just found this: Over 140db @100 PSI on one of their units. Doesn't mention distance from horn.
They do mention it can be heard for miles and I don't doubt it:
Quote:
Now you can "Lay on it" Everything you need to be heard for miles. For the Utterly Insane, we now bring you this.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:23 PM   #11

......$2400.00.....I got hooked up for about $150....call GOAirHorns they are listed in the Links section of this site and have them hook you up with a reasonable sounding device.....geofkaye
Old 11-17-2009, 10:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by BravestDog:
I remember reading in an earlier post that you were looking for a powerful horn for your truck.

Mr Rogers says we're all special and have special needs...And Mr Roberts is a nice, well mannered man right?

Well, look no further. Your dreams can come true.

Video shows a person who installed a water ferry horn on his vehicle and drives around in crowded areas giving the local folks a blast of it.

Looks like it scares the hell out of them.

http://www.filecabi.net/v/file/ferryhorny/wmv

http://www.hornblasters.com
www.trainhornsnow.com
Train Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:01 PM   #13

Those look like some great train horn kits. What about something for a truck conversion that already has an air system built in? I tried to search around your site and only found complete units with compressors and tanks. I would think the horns themselves would be the least expensive part. I bought my 4 trumpet train horn on ebay for I think about $100. It's pretty loud but I'm sure not as loud as your stuff. I like the sound of a train horn but I had 26" and 29" Hadley's on my previous rig and loved the yacht sound too.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:09 PM   #14

...I've changed over time....I use only electronic horns now....140db is off a fire truck and a cop car is about 130 some......cheaper/tunable/selective and very reasonable $$$$ ....try GALL'S POLICE EQUIPMENT on the 'net.....I have done a lot of business with them and they are a no b*llsh*t operation......order on a credit card and it is in your mailbox etc in 3 days......very few companies can do that today!....geofkaye and the RIVERCITY GIRLZ......
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:10 AM   #15

Oh no, Geof. There's just nothing like the sound of a true air horn. It's like electric organs at church. They kind of sound like a real pipe organ, but not really. It's not quite as bad as playing pinball on a computer compared to a real pinball machine tho. That's just freekin' crazy there.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob86ZZ4:
It's not quite as bad as playing pinball on a computer compared to a real pinball machine tho. That's just freekin' crazy there.
The tilt never works
Old 11-21-2009, 12:26 AM   #17

....at almost 65 years old...I'm not really sure what I'm hearing when I hear a toot...might me me! Anyway in this market the margins are so small that one has to look at all alternatives If the customer wants air horns and is willing to spend the extra dollars.....a small Gall's unite is around $300 retail...air horns will be double that and the labor is 3 times whereas install of a electronic unite is an hour at the most....finding the soldering iron takes the most time...everything else is plug and play.....geofkaye and the Rivercity Girlz wiring another SUPER INSULATED HOUSE this weekend.....{CAUSES ME TO SAY THE ''F'' WORD A LOT]
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:43 AM   #18

Oh no, I don't know where you're buying those gold plated titanium diaphram horns. I got my Hadley's at a truck parts store for $50 each. I put those on my 32' Allegro gasser so it had no air supply system. So, I bought a very nice 12v air compressor on ebay from one of those places down south that puts air bags on old Chebbies to drop em down for cruizin. That cost me $129. A 7 gallon air tank from Walmart for about $25. The 12v air solonoid cost me $30 at Catco. Some air tubing was about .12/foot. Wire the solonoid to the original horn wire. Plumb the tank to the compressor and solonoid and horns. Voillah. I also put a piece of rubber air hose with a quick disconnect in. Then I kept a piece of 50' rubber air hose in the storage bin. There, I'm all set to properly inflate the tires, fill the bike tires, and I have a nice supply of compressed air to stoke the bonfire with at the camp site. No more hands and knees blowing my lungs out to get it going.

Now, my t/c is a Freightliner FL112. It came with a stinky little single air horn on it. I went on ebay and bought the train horns for about $59 (got a blemish unit). It even came with a 12v solonoid that I didn't need since the stock horn already had a lanyard valve on the truck. Unscrew the stock horn. Bolt on the new ones. PResto! Get outa my way, a train is comin'! Yeehaw.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #19

If anyone is wanting to trade something for a set of train horns, I have a three horn set. I got them from a buddy who works for CSX in exchange for rebuilding his transmission. They are stupid loud at 90 PSI.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #20

I never had the urge, but a lot of truckers have train horns. You can buy authentic Leslie and Nathan Air Chime horns the same as on locomotives on ebay or from the manufacturers for around $700.00 a set more or less. The Leslie 5 bell horn, I forget the model #, is the loudest and has a really good sound. Very historical train horn and there are lots of them around for sale. It always aggravated me when idiots would blow those things around truckstops when I was trying to sleep.