Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community > HDT / MDT RV Haulers > Larry Zeigler
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 01-18-2004, 09:16 PM   #1
cjc

In addition to carrying capabilties regarding whether to have a single rear axle or dual rear axle another thing to consider is how long the back end will be on the coach. Some of these conversions are just too damn long behind the rear axle and the back end drags over high driveways or unusually crowned streets. Also, nobody mentioned the tremendously improved braking power that is available with a dual axle conversion. I flat tow either a Dodge 1500 pickup (5550 lbs.) or a Ford F-350 pickup (9200 lbs.). Since I originally had Showhauler build my conversion with a single axle and recently added a retractable tag axle, I can tell you from experience that the additional breaking power from that extra axle is a God-send. Of course there are breaking systems available for the towed vehicle. That is probably the right thing to do, but I haven't found it to be necessary now that I have the tag axle.

cjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 08:47 PM   #2

cjk,

I don't know what engine, chassis combination you have on your Showhauler, but a Jake Brake is a terrific option to have.

onezman

http://onezman.tripod.com/yourrvhaulercom

onezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:11 PM   #3

Here in Ohio your "toad" must have a combined working brake system if flat towing...careful-if your luck should go bad and you have to come through Ohio....there are several ways of gettig round this one-a dolley or trailer or a stinger on your towing vehicle. There is a towing system that is air activated that jambs the brake pedal on your toad when applying the brakes on your tow vehicle but I don't recall the name of the product.....geof
geof is offline   Reply With Quote