Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-06-2002, 10:35 PM   #1

Generator arived at my warehouse and I picked it up with my roll-off and then stopped at Johns Spring Service....they will do the back axels changes/frame for me for cheap...like $700 cash...so that is one thing I won't have to wait on....tire question 22.5 vs 24.5 done and DOT certification they will take care of also-I am going with a 22.5-cuz of the frame hight....John just spent $80,000 of his RV hauler a IH 4700 with custom chrome goodies/ lo-pro and air chairs....boy did he get bent over! .....HA! he deserves it for all the times he raped me on truck repairs...... I think I put his son through undergraduate school.....He's worked all his life on over-the-road trucks and never though of using a class 8 with your modifications.....Larry do you know of any Volvo tractors with a Detroit locker in the rear axel? As the power divider front driving axel can not be made to increase traction-it will burn out the electric divider.....enough for one day....keep lookin for a White one!...geof

geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 10:34 AM   #2

Geof -

Sounds like your off to a good start. When you find that truck, we want to see pictures!

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 completely refurbished chassis. Currently in production - scheduled completion 1/10/03 www.showhauler.com

Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 01:16 PM   #3

Bill- I'm hardly 'puter literate....I use a "special ed 'puter system" called WEBTV....It's like a redheded step child .....pix are out of the question/I can't even figure out EDIT.....I'll have to stop by and show it off when I get it together....'course I'm still a waitin' on Larry for a WHITE TRUCK....;> ) geof
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 04:54 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by geof:

Larry do you know of any Volvo tractors with a Detroit locker in the rear axel? As the power divider front driving axel can not be made to increase traction-it will burn out the electric divider.....enough for one day....keep lookin for a White one!...geof<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Geof,

As far as I know a Detroit locker is not availiabe from, or compatable with any tractor axle manufactured. I believe the divider is powered by air rather than electricity.

According to the three different teck guys at Eaton, it is OK to remove the rear tandem axle and run with the remaining front tandem in the locked position. I have done a conversion in this manner with no problem.

It is more common to remove the front tandem, axle altogether, then move the rear tandem axle forward to replace it. This is more labor intensive, but makes for a better conversion IMHO.

There are several misconceptions concerning tractor drive axles floating around. According to Eaton, only one set of wheels on the rear tandem axle powers the tractor during normal operation. The front tandem axle only becomes a drive axle when the driver switches on the axle lock. Eaton recommends operating a tandem axle in the locked postion only when stuck, or under slick conditions.

Hope that helps,
onezman
onezman is offline   Reply With Quote