Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-30-2002, 02:46 PM   #1

I am new to this Class 8 idea for RV's but I love the concept. I have been lurking for sometime and have a few questions for anyone who cares to answer them.

1. Why did you choose Volve's over other truck brands?

2. Most newer class 8's I've seen are powered by N-14 cummins with 370/435 horsepower, how do these compare to say a M11 on fuel milage and such? Also, why do these have 3 more litres then M11's but are rated for less power?

3. How much taller is say a 770 volve then a 610?
I really like the bigger sleeper's of 770's, T2000's and Century's but if it's going to limit RV parks then maybe I'll reconsider. For comparision, How tall is your Alfa Gold?

4. Since the AirRide's compensate for the load on them, is removing an axle nessary? Will it affect turning radius all that much?

5. Is an AutoShift transmission the same as a standard except for the computer shifting or are the built like automobile-type auto's?

6. Is it ok to tow say a Race car trailer behind a Class 8 registered as a motorhome?

Maybe my questions weren't so general after all. Sorry for the long winded post [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img] Just trying to get a handle on these new forms of RVing.

Keep the shiny side up

challenger818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 06:43 PM   #2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by challenger818:
I am new to this Class 8 idea for RV's but I love the concept. I have been lurking for sometime and have a few questions for anyone who cares to answer them.

1. Why did you choose Volve's over other truck brands?

I spend a good number of years looking at various brands of trucks. In my opinion, Volvo makes the most innovative comfortable, quiet and safest trucks on the market. The 610 raised roof sleeper with no roof faring, slopes upward aerodynamically to about 10' 10" tall at the back of the sleeper. Roughly the same height as the typical travel trailer.

The stand up 61" sleeper is large enough to add appliances such as a refrigerator and micro. These items may be required to register the Volvo as a Motorhome.

2. Most newer class 8's I've seen are powered by N-14 cummins with 370/435 horsepower, how do these compare to say a M11 on fuel milage and such? Also, why do these have 3 more litres then M11's but are rated for less power?

M 11s have a maximum of about 410 HP. N 14s have a maximum HP of 525. Cummins manufactured both engines with up to 20 different HP and torque ratings. The 435 HP engine produces more HP and torque than an M11 and it happened to be a very popular choice.

N 14 370/435 Hp engine operates at 370 HP unless the ECM determines more HP and torque is needed. At that time, the ECM increases HP to 435 and torque to 1,550. Operations at 370 HP saves fuel when the extra HP and torque is not needed.

The N14 is a longer lasting, stronger engine than an M 11. They can also be uprated to higher HP. The N 14 towing, say 20K, should get around 10 MPG, roughly the same as an M 11.

3. How much taller is say a 770 volve then a 610?
I really like the bigger sleeper's of 770's, T2000's and Century's but if it's going to limit RV parks then maybe I'll reconsider. For comparision, How tall is your Alfa Gold?

The 770 is 13' 6" tall. My Alfa Gold is about 11' 4" tall, then the Roof AC increases the overall height to 12' 6".

I too would love to have a 770. The problem, as you mentioned, is height. I suspect a 770 would reduce the number of RV parks availiable by about 50%. Not only that, you have tree, bridge, overhang, sign, etc, problems with the height of a 770 in lots of other places.

4. Since the AirRide's compensate for the load on them, is removing an axle nessary? Will it affect turning radius all that much?

It is not necessary to remove an axle and ahorten the frame, but the capacity of the rear axle with tandems is 38 to 40K. With one axle removed the capacity is reduced to 18 or 20 K which is far more than RVers ever need.

Secondly, the longer Wheelbase of the tandem also limits the number of RV parks availiable to the driver. Thirdly, the turning radius is affected by the longer wheelbase trucks. These trucks turn very sharply, but the shorter WB units turn sharper than a pickup.

5. Is an AutoShift transmission the same as a standard except for the computer shifting or are the built like automobile-type auto's?

Autoshifts are shifted by the ECM. The driver can override the ECM and hold the transmission in any gear he chooses. Autoshifts have a clutch which is only used for stopping and starting. the rest of the time the transmission shifts like any other automatic transmission.

6. Is it ok to tow say a Race car trailer behind a Class 8 registered as a motorhome?

It is OK ss long as you are towing your own trailer and race car. You cannot tow for hire when registered as a Motorhome.

Maybe my questions weren't so general after all. Sorry for the long winded post [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img] Just trying to get a handle on these new forms of RVing.

No problem. I will be happy to try to answer any questions. If you think of any more, you can post them here, or e-mail me.

onezman
onezman@hotmail.com
onezman is offline   Reply With Quote