Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-23-2006, 07:54 AM   #21

Thanks for the 411 and good luck on your maiden voyage. You are towing a trailer? Does adding the trailer make you over 65' ?

Chevy57PkUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:10 AM   #22

Does it make me over 65ft? Just a little. I am 83ft 6 in in total length. So far no problems on the length......

Wick

Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:24 AM   #23

I'm glad you haven't run into many zealous State trooper types. You see so much on RV forums about length issues, especially off the interstates. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to risk it, although I can sure appreciate the benefit of having the room.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:57 PM   #24

.....If he is legal in his home state he is legal in other states-..........though I don't want to be around when he turns around.....OOOps!.....geofkaye
Old 02-26-2006, 04:19 AM   #25

Hey Wick, @ 83'6" I would not have a care in the world with the way your Rig looks!!! Hell taker to 100' if you
want. This is my take on length:

Looking Good and Clean with everything shined up.(your stuff defintly makes the grade there!!!)
Going down whatever Road you are on "HAVE THE ATTITUDE YOU OWN THE PLACE" Along with the self confidence that you do not
miss a shift or screw-up any little bit at all or look like your lost or missed a turn. When the "MAN" see's you He says to
himself "WOW WHAT A GORGEOUS RIG, MAN THAT GUY IS DOIN REAL GOOD FOR HIMSELF". His next thought is that there is someone in
there that is extremly important(And he is right everybodys important).He then shakes his head in total confusion and can't wait to tell his wife what he saw that day. Oh and it does help to have ba*l's so big you have to push them around in a wheelbarrow.By the time these chain of events have occured. Your down the road 5-10 miles. For years back when the length limit was 55' I ran the Pa. Turnpike from Valley Forge West to Morgantown three(3)time a week with a total length of 79'11". That was a long time ago but I never got stopped or ticketd for anything. In fact I stopped and helped a Pa. Trooper with a flat tire. His reply to me was Thanks alot and you got a good lookin truck. Well there's my $.04 cents for the day.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:10 AM   #26

Kaye, I have heard that said about if it is legal length in your home state that gives reciprocity in other states. Do you have some empirical evidence that this is fact? I ask as I have also seen it expressed that there is no reciprocity to thye extent that it is law.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally posted by Chevy57PkUp:
Kaye, I have heard that said about if it is legal length in your home state that gives reciprocity in other states. Do you have some empirical evidence that this is fact? I ask as I have also seen it expressed that there is no reciprocity to thye extent that it is law.
In the latest edition of my FMCA Membership Directory they have a chart that lists the different regs for each state and Canadian province. THERE IS NO RECIPROCITY FOR LENGTH OR WEIGHT only licensing (i.e. some states require a regular operator license while others like CA have a specific non-CDL Class A for MH over 40'). Therefore, be warned that you are supposed to know the regs for each state you will be tavelling in and follow their rules NOT your home state's, as far as the law is concerned.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:45 PM   #28

.....the state and federal and local highway system is three differnt things....if it is x-pressway it is what your home state says if it is a state road then you are under that states supervision...local is interesting because it is obsolete.....anyway they are looking at big trucks right now and don't have the manpower for MH's.....as per my ODOT friend-who keeps me legal.....I there were any changes here in Ohio/or Federal Level... He would call me at 11:30 AM when I get up and let me know what is going on.......
Old 02-27-2006, 10:14 AM   #29

Perhaps we need to start a new thread, maybe call it something like "Here comes the judge". And ask folks who already know they are illegal out of their home state how they have made out in different jurisdictions.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:07 PM   #30

....legality is only an issue if you are caught/ticketed and the findings of the judge or jury......you are still inoscent unless proven guilty by a jury of your peers.....I believe that is still correct at 1 AM.....geofkaye
Old 02-28-2006, 11:09 AM   #31

Kaye I have to admit I agree with you on this point. As I often tell people when I intentionally break some minor traffic law, like a U-turn, I only think of traffic laws as strongly worded suggestions, like the ones your parents made, they are intended for your benefit, however if you are willing to accept the consequences of not heeding them, well so what. And if there isn't a cop around [I always look don't you] then I'm gonna make the U-turn. Traffic fines are what you pay as a consequence and even those are very few and far between. But this whole issue of whats legal length and where and why you might get stopped about it is a little different. You could get nailed just because some cop was bored. Currently I'm thinking I am going to end up about 52 or 53 feet bumber to bumper and I seriously hope I don't run into too many troopers with a 50' tape measure especially since I'll be towing a vehicle of some sort. Speaking of which wouldn't a Unimog make a cool tow vehicle?
Old 02-28-2006, 02:51 PM   #32

I was only stating what is technically legal not what you can do if you choose do otherwise. Our Kingsley is 49'3" long which is illegal in all states except MT (where it is reg and titled in my LLC) and SD. Every other state limits MH to 42-45'. I tow our suburban behind and I am 72' which again is illegal in most states for combination vehicles...most are 65'. I have been across the Canadian/US border over 50 times with this setup and never once was questioned. I have travelled thru 15 states and never bothered. I have driven past and have been passed by all levels of Officers, even DOT, and not one gave me a second look. So in reality, it is most likely you would never be bothered but if they do decide to take a look, there is going to be some big fines to pay. I know that and operate under that knowledge.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:24 PM   #33

Is it Elburn, Bill or Bill Elburn?
I really appreciaye your input, I've been waiting for one person to tell me they've not had a problem to counter all the doom and gloom gusses who are always carrying on about "it's too long for a national park". Your remarks have gone a long way in putting some backbone back in my decision to go past 45'. Thanks!
Old 02-28-2006, 04:34 PM   #34

Just to show how little they bother you I can tell you that for the three years we drove our Monaco Pusher I never had it even registered. We left the dealer in Fla. with a temporary in the window and it stayed there for about a year before I realized that we had never even bothered to title the vehicle. Then with my first Show hauler I only decided to tag it after 14 months of driving with no tag whatsoever. My 2006 Show Hauler is tagged now but I drove it home and have only been a few close places with it but we went ahead and sent for the new tags (Montana) just last week.
The point is someone will get stopped and pay some fines....but they just do not like to bother us just yet.....maybe someday but I don't think so.

Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:09 PM   #35

We run about 65 feet with the Yukon in tow. Never had a problem
Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:34 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally posted by Elburn Bill:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chevy57PkUp:
Is it Elburn, Bill or Bill Elburn?
I really appreciaye your input, I've been waiting for one person to tell me they've not had a problem to counter all the doom and gloom gusses who are always carrying on about "it's too long for a national park". Your remarks have gone a long way in putting some backbone back in my decision to go past 45'. Thanks!
Actually Elburn is the name of the town in IL I used to live in. I now live in LaPorte, IN. I have changed all my user names to Alpaca Bill on the other forums since that is what I do...breed and raise suri alpacas. I just haven't had the chance to get Warpath to change my username here.

I have seen many coaches well over the 45' "limit" with the longest a 58' that towed a 30' trailer...in all he was 92' long. He was a big horse breeder and when he travelled he mostly went to shows and auctions/sales and typically stayed there for 2-4 weeks at a time. He also had full length awnings on both sides so once deployed he cast a shadow on the earth almost 30' wide by 44' long!!! Most of you have probably seen a pic of this coach...it is the black coach with silver flames on it in the gallery. It is very impressive on the inside. I believe it is for sale up at Kingsley right now. IIRC the owner is asking $650K for it. I know he paid WAY more than that. He gets a new one every 18 months or so.

Also if you look at most of Powerhouse's coaches they are all 52' or there abouts.

Make it whatever length you want for your needs and deal with the consequences when and IF they catch up to you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 02-28-2006, 11:01 PM   #37

...Unimogs are all 4 cylinder gas or diesels....you might be able to keep the speed up to 50 in a strong tail wind on flat ground.....I have a 70's gasoline model in Radcliff, Ky- it is a POS and in the salvage yard for sale right now.....50mph is the maximum ever achieved down hill......very expensive to operate and maintain-parts are from MB...........................If I give the COPS a chance, by doing something stupid, to pull me over-I guess, I deserve what I get........................... My aim is to fade into the background and not be noticed and/or even ignored.....I use 2 professional girlz to distract sales/"information" people when I attend a RV, Truck or even Machine Gun Shows....I want the gurlz to be noticed and not I!.....I hate the limelight-someone else can take the bows for me and be the center of stage/attraction......also since I'm wealthy I have a real interest in not standing out in a crowd-or even being recognized......I don't really need trouble from the idiots out there and there seem to be a lot these days.....If conforntations happen- I always have back-up of some sort or another....my training is S.E. Asia is still alive and kicking......geofkaye
Old 03-01-2006, 04:45 PM   #38

Uhhh, Geof? Just so's ya know, some 'mogs came/come with 6-cylinder motivation, yer choice of gas(older ones) or Diesel.
Carry on......
Gary
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:36 PM   #39

Yeah Gary, you're right, I was just going to let it go, figured it didn't matter that much. I have a buddy with one, cruises right on down the freeway, in addition to fords deep streams, leaps over tall rocks with a single bound. And can be parked in a parking space when a Hummer would still be circling the block. I think it has better fuel economy as well.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:54 PM   #40

...my POS is 4 cylinder gasoline .....I'm sure of it as I did change out the battery and did spend time with it.....trying it get it to run better-filters-oil- and tire pressure- but it is still a 50mph vehicle- no matter how many nice things I say about MB....or even DC as well......geofkaye