Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-20-2003, 03:34 PM   #1

I am now considering sending my FLD120 to get a box put on it. Probably a 16ft with the fifth wheel hitch behind it. I am looking for a company that can do a nice job at a reasonable cost. I was told that Powerhouse has the best prices but I don't know about the quality. I called them and they said they already have completed 64 trucks and they could complete mine in 5 weeks for $32,000.00. They want an additional $2,000.00 for a diesel generator. I am also considering Beck's Marine but they take about two months. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert
Old 03-20-2003, 04:10 PM   #2

Robert -

I really do not know much about Powerhouse other than what I have seen on their website. If you do not already know, I would ask how the coach is constructed. What type of structure, what is the spacing 16" oc or ?, what is the shell material?, how is it fastened?, what type of warranty? Also ask about the interior construction, cabinets, walls, insulation, ect.

I know the 5 weeks & $32,000 is enticing, but I am telling you if they use traditional motorhome building techniques, cheap interior structure, fake wood materials, luan, crappy draws, ect. you will be miserable very quickly. (I am not saying they do, but if) Find out as much as you can on the build process (if you know please let us know), it will save you years of aggravation. Bottom line if you don't walk away feeling like the rig is built like a brick shit house, walk away!!

I spoke with Nathan Beck from Becks Marine a few weeks ago and he had some very interesting things to say about the industry and the manufacturers currently building conversions. I can say he definitely is a straight shooter. And I know that the Legend is top of the line when it comes to construction.

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com

Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 05:18 PM   #3

Re: Powerhouse Conversions-
In previous conversations w/ both Doug Alder and the other Doug (forgot his last name), I was told they use a "premanufactured coach" to build their units. I asked them who are the better coach builders, and they answered that Forest River was one they preferred. In looking over their floorplans, I can recognize some of Forest River's trailer plans. In fact in Powerhouse's latest model the coach is turned backward so the door, instead of being in the right-rear on the trailer, ends up just behind the driver's door on their conversion. I don't think I need to tell anyone about typical modern trailer construction. Do you want this on YOUR truck/RV? I know I don't.
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 05:21 PM   #4

Warpath is the only guy I know of who actually had a motorhome constructed from a clean sheet of paper on a class 8 truck chassis. He learned a few lessons along the way. His knowledge and experience concerning that type conversion is second to none among readers and posters on this forum.

Bill personally visited several coach builders prior selecting a company to build his coach. He followed the construction process from start to finish. The fact that he is pleased with the end result tells you he made a wise choice.

onezman
onezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 06:10 PM   #5

Gary -

You confirmed my thoughts. I could see the small bins which remained above the lower bins they add. Anyway, a Powerhouse coach may last many years with no problems, but I can send you to my iRV2.com site and let you read horror story after horror story about brand new tt's, 5th wheels, motorhomes that are literally falling apart after only a short period of time. The problem is, these manufacturers have to cut corners to lighten up the RV for the chassis they put these on. And now customers want super slides which even add more weight. The steel structures are sparse, the luan backed gel coat fiberglass exterior used is way to thin to hold up to the flexing these structures go through. And the interior cabinets, draws, walls, ect are just plain cheap and do not hold up to even minimal use. And if that thing has a rubber roof (a lot of the traditional rv mfg'ers use rubber roofs) runnnn! I am not sure what rocket scientist thought putting a rubber roof on a vehicle that runs at speeds of 60 - 70 mph encounters low hanging branches, and is a maintenance nightmare should have had his head examined.

So far 2600 miles on my rig and I still can not find one darn thing that needs repaired, or a tweak, or tightened, or nothing.

Robert, I don't want to sound like I am saying you need or have to buy a Show Hauler to have a good conversion. I just want you to be sure to check every possible structural component and to be aware if it is short of say Show Hauler's construction, what the potential problems maybe.

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 06:37 PM   #6

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think the only alternative to what ShowHauler and those with similar products do, is have one of the "super sleeper" companies like Double Eagle or ICT build an extra-large sleeper. I myself do not want a large coach body (16-18ft.), so this might work for me as these sleepers are built for serious road-burning, and are very efficient with space and utility. Just my .02!
P.S. Larry, if your reading this, I'm toying with the idea of putting a large sleeper behind the sleeper-cab of a Volvo 610, and using the Volvo sleeper for seating space, with LARGE windows put in the sleeper sidewalls. Wheelbase will be extended as needed, with one axle removed. Waddayathink?

[This message was edited by Gary Atsma on March 20, 2003 at 09:45 PM.]
Old 03-20-2003, 06:51 PM   #7

I would go with a big sleeper if the unit was not a primary residence. My first sleeper was a DE, and it was very well built; far better insulated than anything I had afterwards. I have not been able to find ICT's website for a while - it disappeared and seems to have not been moved or replaced.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:26 PM   #8

Location: https://community.webshots.com/photo/93826746/94091929JnrVfF

My apology for getting off topic -- but .. Robert brought up a diesel generator for 2 grand.

I'm in the market -- As you fellows are traveling around -- I'm interested .. Here's a link to my research to date:

http://community.webshots.com/album/47421720vXokAd

I'm looking for a multi cylinder prime power rated at least 6KW in a sound enclosure -- If you run across something interesting -- drop me a note ......

Thanks .....

OLDphoneman
phoneman@harborside.com
OLDphoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 07:57 PM   #9

Actually it's good you posted about this- A Diesel genset is the ONLY way to go in a Diesel-powered RV/truck! The problem is finding one with the right power at a good price. What have you seen that looks right for the price?
Old 03-20-2003, 08:01 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug: I have not been able to find ICT's website for a while - it disappeared and seems to have not been moved or replaced.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Doug- They are still around, but are re-hashing the ol' website. In fact they just put the old one back up, I guess until the new one is ready. They are still around and doing great according to Tom Roose, one of their design engineers.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:52 PM   #11

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gary Atsma:

P.S. Larry, if your reading this, I'm toying with the idea of putting a large sleeper behind the sleeper-cab of a Volvo 610, and using the Volvo sleeper for seating space, with LARGE windows put in the sleeper sidewalls. Wheelbase will be extended as needed, with one axle removed. Waddayathink?

-----------------------------
Gary,

First, I would look for a Volvo with about a 230" wheelbase. That way you would not need to stretch the frame. Simply drop out the front axle, install a carrier bearing and have a second driveshaft of the proper length manufactured.

There could be two problems.

1. The Volvo (or any) integral air ride sleeper would be difficult to mate to a second sleeper. Theoretically, you could create an air ride system for the second sleeper so as to have it move in concert with the Volvo sleeper. I wouldn't want to try to do that though.

Alternatively, a large thick rubber boot could be attached between the two, leaving maybe two inches clearance between them. This would allow the Volvo sleeper to continue to move independenly. The second sleeper, then could be attached to the frame in a fixed position.

2. It appears that part of the frame for the bed is molded into the sleeper itself. (I have not checked this closely). Even if it is, I believe the bed frame could be removed without too much difficulty. Windows could be installed on both sides of the sleeper.

Larry
onezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 04:55 PM   #12

Excellent ideas Larry! The only hitch is, I have seen hardly any(like next to none) 610's with that long a wheelbase, though that would be the way to go. A 230"WB w/the front axle dropped would then be a 256"WB; close to ideal for what I want. Most of the 610's I've seen have a 209-215"WB, which might be workable anyway.
How important is it to keep the cab air-ride? I would think that with air seats and rear air suspension, the ride should still be OK, though admittedly not quite as good as with the cab air susp.
Regardless, the Volvo 610 looks like one NICE truck, and there are a lot of good ones available at decent(mid-20G's on up) prices. That, plus if one watches the bucks going in the coach, a nice RV can be had for a very reasonable price. I read these forums every day. Keep the ideas flowing! Thanks! Gary
Old 10-09-2003, 01:14 PM   #13

I saw a Powerhouse at the local Volvo dealer today. It was in for "normal" service per the mechanic. I think it was one of their demo units since it had their web site painted on the back and had Utah plates. Didn't look close enough to tell if it was dealer tags. Only saw the outside. Man that thing was BIG. From the outside the only thing I didn't like was the way the 610's fairings mated with the coach part.

Gene

'96' Dodge 3500, 5-speed, 3.54 LSD, Ext. Cab, 205,000 plus miles, K&N RE-0880 air filter, Jannety heat shield, TST #10 plate slid forward 1/8", AFC spring kit, 16 cm exhaust housing, Jardine 4" exhaust w/5" stainless steel tip, South Bend Clutch, SPA digital EGT and boost gauge, relay controlled back-up alarm and rear facing halogen tractor flood lights, air horns, bed liner, Tonnou cover, Geno's manual trans. filter, brite box. Dyno run 1-27-02; 375.6 hp and 798.3 ft. lb. torque at the rear wheels.
GSchlegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 07:42 PM   #14

Dang and I was going to go talk to the guys at Powerhouse. I see all these posts are now a few years old, does anyone have any newer information? i.e. Have they improved? I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever find a Class 8 conversonn builder who passes muster and who will build what I want. Am I ginna have to be my own project manager and just take it from place to place to egt what I want and where I want it? damn!
Chevy57PkUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:49 PM   #15

....ask around for Bill Elburn....I don't know if he is still watching the chicken coop[being moderator] but he does coaches rather well- if given a chance.....then there is Randy Butler up in MN that does real inovative stuff at ButllerMotorCoach and cousre there is WILDSIDE....they are really out there-most of their stuff is for racers though....but after things calm down they will build you what you want at a reasonable price....geofkaye....If I needed one right now I'd call Randy Butler and kick his ass to get it done.....FYI
Old 02-22-2006, 05:18 AM   #16

Butler's website is no longer valid. Did they go out of business?

Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:32 AM   #17

Wick - Can you tell me, on the coach pictured in the link you posted, was the coach box built on the frame or was a prebuilt box used?
Old 02-22-2006, 12:07 PM   #18

The coach pictured is mine and the frame was streched then the box added by Show Hauler. there are plenty of pictures of the process on this site under my name.
Wick
Old 02-22-2006, 03:25 PM   #19

Thanks for the pic url, I noticed this time that thee were more available to view then I noticed at first glance. What is the over all bumper to bumper length and how much of that is behind the cockpit area? What is the roof fabrication material?
Old 02-23-2006, 05:14 AM   #20

The overall length is 46.5 ft. The box itself is a 30ft box. The roof is actually something I have not had the chance to get on and inspect. It is 1 piece aluminum I believe. Maybe time to get up there and take a walk around. I am still getting all the personalized stuff done on the coach and need to hurry first big trip is in 2 weeks

Wick