Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #1

I am researching what it takes to convert a tractor to a motor home in Michigan. So far I have found the definition in the statute but nothing further. Statute as follow:

MCL Sec. 257.32a "Motor home" defined.
Sec. 32a. "Motor home" means a motor vehicle constructed or altered to provide living quarters, including permanently installed cooking and sleeping facilities, and is used for recreation, camping or other noncommercial use.

I noted the lack of any requirement for bathroom facilities, probably due to the law being written in 1949 (Public Act 300 of 1949). I was wondering if anyone has the Michigan Secretary of State's definition of what constitutes a 'Motor home".

Old 03-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #2

.....YOU MIGHT TRY BECK'S MARINE FOR ADVICE...THEY HANDLE SHOWHAULER AND MAYBE A FEW OTHERS....I'M IN OHIO AND THERE ARE DIFFERENT REQUIREMENTS....GEOFKAYE AND THE RIVERCITY GIRLS

geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:29 PM   #3

I just searched around a bunch on Michigan's dmv site. Couldn't find it either. That's crappy. MN is much easier to navigate. I'd stop at a DMV office and ask them. Where you renew your license tabs. I bet they might be able to find the statute.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:18 AM   #4

Just going by what arcaguy says, I think if your conversion is within the definition of that statute, it should fly, IF that statute is all Michigan has on the subject. But hey, I live in California, where how one takes a dump is regulated....
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #5

i built one in mn and all i had to do, was get the truck inspected to make sure it wasn't built out of stolen parts, had all receits from parts,materials the inspector quickly looked over them and that was it. rv title granted, barly looked inside at all .
turboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #6

I would recommend carrying a copy of the statute and any regulations you find the truck. You never know when you'll need to prove what the law is.
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #7

I am also in Michigan and purchased my 1993 International Eagle from a dealership used. They added a microwave and a porta toilet, had it documented and the title was changed from Tractor to Motor home.

Also look at 257.312e(12) as that is also Michigan Traffic Law that documents the excemption of a CDL A license.

rphillips370 is offline   Reply With Quote