Join Truck Conversion Today
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1

I am researching what it takes to convert a tractor to a motor home in Michigan. So far I have found the definition in the statute but nothing further. Statute as follow:

MCL Sec. 257.32a "Motor home" defined.
Sec. 32a. "Motor home" means a motor vehicle constructed or altered to provide living quarters, including permanently installed cooking and sleeping facilities, and is used for recreation, camping or other noncommercial use.

I noted the lack of any requirement for bathroom facilities, probably due to the law being written in 1949 (Public Act 300 of 1949). I was wondering if anyone has the Michigan Secretary of State's definition of what constitutes a 'Motor home".

Go Fast, Turn Left
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 625


geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
Senior Member
Bob86ZZ4's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,814

I just searched around a bunch on Michigan's dmv site. Couldn't find it either. That's crappy. MN is much easier to navigate. I'd stop at a DMV office and ask them. Where you renew your license tabs. I bet they might be able to find the statute.
'03 Freightliner FL112, 295" wheel base, with '03 United Specialties 26' living quarters, single screw, Cat C12 430 h/p 1650 torque, Eaton 10speed , 3.42 rear axle ratio
Bob86ZZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Hanford,CA,USofA
Posts: 786

Just going by what arcaguy says, I think if your conversion is within the definition of that statute, it should fly, IF that statute is all Michigan has on the subject. But hey, I live in California, where how one takes a dump is regulated....
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2

i built one in mn and all i had to do, was get the truck inspected to make sure it wasn't built out of stolen parts, had all receits from parts,materials the inspector quickly looked over them and that was it. rv title granted, barly looked inside at all .
turboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #6
Senior Member
#90-GTSC's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Grafton
Posts: 285

I would recommend carrying a copy of the statute and any regulations you find the truck. You never know when you'll need to prove what the law is.
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Jackson
Posts: 4

I am also in Michigan and purchased my 1993 International Eagle from a dealership used. They added a microwave and a porta toilet, had it documented and the title was changed from Tractor to Motor home.

Also look at 257.312e(12) as that is also Michigan Traffic Law that documents the excemption of a CDL A license.

rphillips370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.