Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Larry Zeigler (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f93/)
-   -   Larry, would you know the CA DMV requirements for an RV? (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f93/larry-would-you-know-ca-dmv-requirements-rv-5247/)

BravestDog 05-24-2005 01:34 PM

Larry,

I'm trying to fing the specs that DMV wants in order to convert a commercial type vehicle, in this case an E350 cutaway van into a motorhome/rv...

6/2/05 here is what I got from DMV: "Human habitation is living space which includes, but is not limited to: closets, cabinets, kitchen units or fixtures, and bath or toilet rooms"

from the CA DMV form: "Miscellaneous Certifications, Certification of vehicle for human habitation"

My box van has an empty weight of around 7,300lbs and a GVWR of 11,500lbs and I think is considered a commercial vehicle but I'm thinking of installing a bunk, a table with a camp stove and a bucket for a toilet so I can register and use it as an RV.

But then I found this info on DMV's site under the heading "How to apply for a commercial license" which seems to differ from what I thought was correct. Here is what the DMV says:

A commercial vehicle is a motor vehicle or combination used for hire to transport passengers or property or which:

1. Has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more
2. Is designed, used, or maintained for carrying more than 10 passengers, including the driver
3. Tows a vehicle or trailer, which has a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more
4. Transports hazardous materials, which requires placards
5. Tows any combination of two trailers or vehicle and trailer

I thought a commercial vehicle was anything over 10,000lbs GVW?

Would you happen to know exactly what DMV is looking for or can you point it out on their website?

I can't seem to find it.

Thankyou.

Gary Atsma 05-25-2005 03:55 PM

I don't know whether this will help or not, but when you are dealing in this weight class (light trucks), the only thing to worry about when dealing with a light truck with non-commercial plates (like a van conversion) is not to be caught carrying building materials on the way back from Home Depot.
No special driver's license is needed for any vehicle under 26,000# unless it has airbrakes, for which only an endorsement is required, which requires both a written AND driving test, but both are easy.

BravestDog 05-26-2005 12:44 PM

So what if you had a truck conversion that was registered as a RV and it had a garage unit on the back half and you put your wood supplies back there?

Are you in violation of the law?

Why can't the police, highway patrol... just try to catch the criminals who are stealing, burglarizing our homes, cars...Why do they target the easy common folk?

Is it because it takes too much effort, time and skill to catch a criminal and they can fill their ticket books with frivolous citations and that gives the illusion that they are catching criminals and bringing in income...?

Things seem to be out of control in this country with the police and ticketing the common folk.

Gary Atsma 05-26-2005 03:51 PM

I agree with you. I was only relating the law as I know it (NO guarantees here!). I think that the ones who get caught at this are the guys with pickups and camper SHELLS registered as passenger cars carrying building supplies around. I doubt a motorhome w/ garage would get busted on this count. He would have to see it first, which would be harder than in a pickup. Take it easy!
Gary

KAYE RIVERCITY 05-26-2005 09:32 PM

....."it's all in the details"....most drug busts happen on the road because of some minor detail that is out of place and the COP pulls everyone over for a look-see....then all hell breaks loose when he discovers 2 tons of pot in the back of the truck.....I was told this by my local COPS.....as they say "It's all in the DETAILS"....They even busted a local attorney for posession just because his liscense plate screw had come out and the plate was hanging down............I was also told that older folks with campers that are stopped at a motel are often sniffed by a dog at nite because their trailer/motorhome had a large amount of pot in it and they needed beds and a toilet.....old farts have to use the bathroom a lot.....geofkaye

onezman 05-27-2005 07:06 PM

BravestDog,

My apololgies for the tardy response. Haven't read the forum for a while.

IMO, it's a waste of time to pore over commercial registration regulations, including GVWs, because they do not apply to motorhome registration.

Go to the DMV and obtain the WRITTEN requirements for motorhome registration. Then figure out how to meet them with your vehicle. I don't have the regs saved, but 5 of my conversions have been successfully registered as motorhomes in CA. It may not be easy, but it can be done.

Larry