Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-09-2002, 07:21 PM   #1

Just wondered why you say not to buy a truck with a 11.1 Mine is a 11.1 365 HP 4.33 rear and a 9 speed OD Pulling my 37' HR with 3 slides I have not came across a mountain here in Pa I can't go up 62--68 mph Top end is 68 governed speed. Have not checked fuel mileage yet,Can't afford to fill those 150 gal tanks!!!

KZX11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 09:58 AM   #2

I have never owned an 11.1 Detroit. My statement was based soley on information I got from truck drivers and from trucking forums. Same type of deal as you get with Chev/Ford arguments. Some like this or that, and others don't. It sounds like you are happy with your truck, so I wouldn't worry about it.

The thing I don't much care for is the 4:33 axle ratio. If you ever change it, (probably not worth the expense) I would reccommend a 3:42 or 3:55 axle ratio to go with your OD transmission. Your fuel mileage would increase by at least one MPG, and you would cruise at lower engine RPMS. Pulling power would not be affected.

I reccommend that you bite the bullet and fill those fuel tanks. Then refill everytime you get down about 100 gallons. The more empty space you have in the fuel tanks the more condensation you will have mixed with your fuel. I add one quart of ATF to each 50 gallons of fuel. This improves lubricity, improves fuel mileage, and helps keep those injectors clean.

Just my two cents,
Larry

onezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 10:15 AM   #3

I bit the bullet on my 150's and try to keep them full to 1/2. The extra weight also helps the ride abit while this thing is bobtailing. I am going to also start adding the ATF as you suggested.

I beleive it says even flow system on the tank near the fill cap on my truck. I do not have any valve to switch to pull from one tank or the other. How does this work? I have always (well twice so far) filled both tanks to the 95% level as suggested. How is the fuel pulled from each tank evenly. Also what if one take has more fuel than the other after filling.

The place I bought the truck had no clue, I probably could find it in one of the 15 seperate volumes which make up my shop manuels, but this is easier.

1995 FL FLD120, M11, custom interior.
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 11:13 AM   #4

Both tanks should draw evenly. There is no switching from one tank to the other. Excess fuel is evenly returned via return lines to both tanks. They should both take the same amound to fuel if both tanks are the same size.

Larry
Old 09-10-2002, 01:30 PM   #5

Thanks for the tip on ATF Let me make sure I got it right 150 gal tanks 3 qt. per side Right?
KZX11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 11:36 AM   #6

Right. I pour the ATF in just before filling the
tanks. That assures a good mixture. Hint, don't
let anyone wearing a suit see you do it.

Here's a tip on how to prevent fuel theft. I have never had it happen to me, but better safe than sorry. (Hate to use a cliche').

The fuel caps on these tanks have sets of raised groves that stick up high enough to get a about a 3/4 inch wrench on any pair of them. (I figured this out myself) :-)

When I fill up, I take a wrench and tighten the caps down enough that no one could get the cap loose by hand. It's a little bit of a pain, but it's free insurance.

Larry
Old 09-04-2003, 02:11 PM   #7

I just bought a 98 Volvo 610. It has the 11:1 Detoit engine with 3:70 axels and a 9 speed transmisson. I am thrilled with this truck,I was pulling with a chev 1 ton.I was only getting 5 to 6 m.p.g. with the chev, with the Volvo I am getting 12m.p.g.pulling a 30ft. trailer, I get 14.5m.p.g. bobtailing.I no longer worry about hill or headwinds.I believe towing with a semi tractor is the best kept secret out there.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:45 PM   #8

Just got one question about ATF fluid. Does anyone out there know if the red dye in the ATF Fluid would show if ever stopped and they did a check to see if you are running off road diesel?

2000 Volvo 610 Motorhome "Dixie"
Pulling a 32' Newmar Fiver
smokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 08:44 PM   #9

......Or would it make a diffrance if it was off road diesel or AFT...it would still be a pollutant...A good question to ask my local P.U.C.O Enforcement man tomarrow morning...geof-near Cincinnati
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 07:54 AM   #10

I have been using ATF since 1994 with every fillup. I don't think one quart per 50 gallons noticably changes the fuel color.

As far as I know, it's not illegal to add lubricity (ATF) to fuel. IM not using off road diesel.

I always carry ATF, and would argue my case for what it's worth, if ever had a problem. My fuel has never been checked.

I don't think the DOT is even checking anymore. All truckstops sell the new fuel.

onezman