Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 06-29-2003, 11:14 PM   #1

I would like to haul a toad between the sleeper and the 5th wheel? What are the different ways you all have seen this done, if any?

chaaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 05:38 AM   #2
Ox

If I read this right, you are looking to put a toad on the truck in the gap? Must be a small 4 wheeler. Not to mention the handling issues. A golf cart might work better.

Never thought about a 4 wheeler up there so my thoughts might be way off base on handling and loading. I went with a toy hauler trailer to cover the 4 wheeler hauling issue.

BIKES fit great in that spot. There are several different setups out there to get the bike on the truck. Full size baggers (Wings, Kings, etc) fit without issue. I've put a flat platform on the back of Suzy Q and have had a VTX and Valkyrie on the platform at the same time. Didn't try it with the trailer hooked up, but it looked like it would be ok if U-Turns weren't in the mix.

One example of a bike hauler is at www.douglasstruckbodies.com/pages/index.htm. (On the menu, hit Recreational / 5th Wheel and scroll down. You'll see it).

I also saw a unit on the web that had a Saturn in the space behind a day cab. The car was nose-up and had been modified to prevent problems. Radiator, battery and gas had been tweaked. Can't find the site now, will keep looking for it.

Curious what you were thinking of hauling? I'm interested in the engineering process.

Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 05:41 AM   #3
Ox

Minor correction the URL above. After you get to the 5th wheel area, bypass the tour to see the pics.
Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 11:56 AM   #4

Mobile home toters have a ramp/winch arangement to haul their toad on the way back to the factory....I've seen them but never thought much about them as it would be a PIA to load and unload. I use a Roll-off wrecker to tow with so I can put a boat or toad on the deck and still haul a trailer....works for now....but in futre I'm going to a Volvo tractor and a modified race car hauler, so I can put boat car P/U 4 wheeler inside when traveling....geof
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 12:35 PM   #5

Chris,
Here's the link to the stow-away. I think this is what you were speaking about.
http://mccallhitch.com/pro-svc/stowaway/stoway.htm
James is offline   Reply With Quote