Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community > HDT / MDT RV Haulers > Larry Zeigler
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-29-2003, 09:33 PM   #41

Mike,

I certainly would not want to register twice. First time would have to be as a commercial vehicle. CDL required. Fees paid not refundable upon reregistration.

Plan on doing the conversion within 30 days and registering it once as a motorhome. You might check with your DMV concerning penalties for late registration.

Larry

onezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 04:54 PM   #42

DONE DEAL!!! Reg.Titled,Insured and Inspected in NY as a House on Wheels Not called Motor Home in NY!! Tags for 2 years $125.50 Ins. GMAC $197.00 every 6 months No Collison or comp. Its paid for I'm one Happy Camper!!

KZX11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 07:20 PM   #43

Can't beat that anywhere that I know of KZ. makes a guy want to move to NY. Well.........
almost. :^)

onezman
Old 04-01-2003, 08:34 PM   #44

What is happening in this thread is what I have seen before in these type threads. There is much confusion between us posters because we are mixing different areas of the law. In this case, we are talking about vehicle registrations (the license plates for the vehicle) and we are talking about licensing requirements (your actual driver's license). These are different, each has different requirements, and they don't neccessarily go hand in hand. I will be referring to the race car example, as that is what I am dealing with, and that is also what Robert was asking about.

My understanding is that if you are paid to race, you are commercial (and all that entails). There is a particular state trooper on I-80 in Illinois (somewhere near Dixon) that has a hard on for this very thing. I personally know of several people that he has pulled over. One guy has a big toterhome (registered as an RV) that pulls a big gooseneck race trailer. He got pulled over and shut down for not having a CDL. Even though his toter is registered as an RV, once he hooks up the trailer, he is commercial, and has to follow all of those rules and regs, CDL and all. As to Larry's comment about being not-for-hire, that apparently doesn't matter. You are engaged in an activity that is for profit, therefore you are commercial. Another racing buddy got hit by him a few weeks ago, and all he was doing was hauling a newly purchased car back home. Now his rig is smaller, so he doesn't need a CDL, but he was asked for his logs and such. He got away with a warning, but annoyed the trooper with all of his questions!!

Now, in my case I really don't want the hassle of the additional regs, but I can see the writing on the wall, so I will be getting a CDL and be as legal as possible. I'm still pulling with an F-350, so the commercial registration won't hurt me yet, but when I get a big truck I'll be all set. And hell, it certainly can't hurt to use that as an argument when the IRS tries to declare my racing business a hobby!!! Now if only there were an easy place to get all the neccessary info.

As for RV's (used for RVing), my understanding is that if you've got RV plates, you're good to go. But even there, some states are cracking down and requiring Class A or B (non CDL) drivers licenses.
Dano959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 04:49 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally posted by onezman:
Robert,

As I recall, a commercial vehicle must have at least 3/16th tread on all tires. Not certain my memory is correct though. That does not apply to RVs.

Larry
The commercial specs are >4/32 on the steering axle and >2/32 on any other axles. And FWIW, no mixing of bias/radial tires or different sized tires on the same axle.

QRTRHRS is offline   Reply With Quote