Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #1

Default Toter Conversion

Hello, I'm looking at purchasing a truck that has partly been finished and was used as a mobile office. I am wanting to convert it to a toter home to travel in. Where is a good place to check out the supplies that I would need to finish the conversion. I would need stove, fridge, cabinets, shower, couch, dinette, etc....

twoodyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #2

Welcome to Truck Conversion.net! This is about the quietest forum you'll find on the net. I suspect most of us are out enjoying our rigs too much to post on here.

Let's make sure we're using the same terminology. There is no government clearing house for these terms but many of us have been trying to "standardize" them. "Toter" or "toterhome" seems mostly to apply to a truck with small to medium sized living quarters and a deck on the back with a 5th wheel or goose neck hitch. "Truck Conversion" applies to a truck chassis with living quarters.

Have you searched around on Race, performance & street cars, engines, engine parts, trailers for sale ? They have a section for "toterhomes/rv's/motorhomes." There are usually many rigs for sale there. I would suggest you check out the rigs there and see if you can find one similar to what you envision as your finished product using that truck you're thinking about. Then knock off several thousand dollars from that racingjunk price since those are "asking" price, not what you can actually get it for. Now the hard work starts. You're going to need to draw yourself out a floor plan for your build. Do it on very large paper. Then do a bunch of searching on the web for rv parts surplus etc.... As you find prices for things you pencil them in on your floor plan. Don't forget to add shipping. Then add about 15% for all the accessories you'll need to install each item. Now double that. Then figure out about how long it will take you to do all that work. Now double that. You're getting close to what it's going to cost you to finish that truck. If it's significantly less than that truck you found on racingjunk then you're all set with your plans for the next year or so. If it's nearly the same buy one already done.

I'm sorry if I haven't answered your question very well and instead started preaching. But, there are several around here that have built there own rigs and can attest to the formula. Now, if you can get that truck for a very good price and the number crunching works out great. Whatever you do please keep us posted. Maybe you can prove me wrong. That would be fine too.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #3

welcome to the forum.

Im not sure if you're looking for a conversion coach or "surplus" furniture.
Since bob covered the "where to look for a coach" question....

there are several places that have "surplus" RV furniture -

Factory RV Surplus
https://www.google.com/search?client...lus+furniture+
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, parts, toterhome