Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 01-28-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
pjc

There are many HID conversion kits for cars available on Ebay. Almost all have hi-lo beam service and many are DOT approved.

Has anyone seen a kit for the Freightliner Columbia cabs or, does anyone know what type of Halogen bulb I need to replace.

There are many:

H1, H3, H4-1, H4-2, H7, H8, H9, H10, H11, H13-1, H13-2, 9004-1, 9004-2, 9005, 9006 9007-1, 9007-2, D2C, 880/881, etc.

Thanks much!

pjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:44 PM   #2

On my 07 Columbia the low beams are 9006 & the high beams are 9005. I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet. My Suburban has them (dealer installed) and love them.

brokenup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:29 PM   #3

On my Volvo, I replaced the H11 low beams with an HID H11 kit. Bulb (arc) tube placement in the same spot inside the lens is pretty critical. Mine is the newer style with the projecter style lens.

Depending on your bulb, go for it. However, have you tried this with the wiring first ===>

I posted it on another forum where a guy was looking at a Bright Box, high and low together.

Johnny - a word of caution - I assume you are using the 610 in your webshots?? - With a common element bulb (3 wire - both high and low in the same bulb) you will get a LOT of heat in the lens. 55 watt low beam plus 65 watt high beam 120 watt total. This will raise the common (-12 volt) current to 10 amps from the normal 5 amps. It will also raise the heat load in the lens by 2. I would watch real close that you do not melt the headlight housing. The extra heat will also burn out the lights much faster.

Now, if you have separate headlights (not on the 610, sorry), and with more area to dump the heat, different animal altogether. Personally, I would add some auxiliary lights or go for a HID conversion.

Another thing that may help. Mine, like a bunch of others, they used a small (light gage) wire to feed the headlights. I added a couple of relays and put in heavier (12 ga) wires. (Use the power where it is needed, rather than trying to get it there). This did make things better. Polishing the lens also helped. Also, my 630, has separate lamps so I did, with the relays, add the high and low together.

Yeah, I know, I think a boy carrying a candle could do better at times.

Good luck
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #4

It's hard to beat the Crystal Halogen conversion. I put four of them on my Pete and they really light it up. (I had to alter the housings a little to accomodate them.) Plus, you can use any bulb you like. Funny as pretty and chromed out as that tractor is, the first thing I get comments on are the headights. A little money very well spent. I have aircraft landing lights in louvered Grote housings in my bumper as fog lights and they are pale by comparison.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #5

Finally did the HID conversion. Used the 6000k which is a bright white light with a tint of blue when you look at the lamp. What a difference! They installed quite easily, way worth the $100.
brokenup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:10 AM   #6

I like the way they kind of "pop" when you turn them on too. I'd consider putting them on my truck buy I have 7" rounds that have hi/low all in one buld so they don't make a h.i.d. for that I think.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:41 PM   #7

Bob,

If you have enough clearance behind the lights, there's a new kit (not yet in stock) over at The Retrofit Source: The Sealed7 is the world first high-performance, fully modular bi-xenon replacement for all industry-standard 7" Round Headlights. No matter a muddy Jeep or a muscle car or a muddy Jeep, if you drive at night and can't see a damn thing, these are for. I just saw a prototype in person yesterday. Not cheap, but the projectors in these things are pretty impressive.

David

Duff is offline   Reply With Quote