Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-29-2014, 03:54 PM   #1

Default Awning LED Strip (DIY)

We've (rarely) been using some lights hung from our awning....too much of a pain to put the hooks up and hang the lights - and i hated the cord dangling every time i put them up....god forbid a storm come cause id have to 1st pull the lights down before i could hit the button to roll up the power awning.

No way i was gonna pay $169 for the awning LED's from Camping World or PPL .....now on sale for $110 / $93

I picked up the same 16 ft, string of 7 color LED's (w/ AC adapter & remote) for $24 off of Amazon (at that price i figured if i didn't like them i was ok w/ it) - i also picked up some LED wire extension for $8 at Amazon so i could hide the wiring.

I was able hide the wiring inside my power awning supports & use the same hole in the wall that HaulMark placed for the awning power, for now I'm running the LED string (self adhesive backed) off of AC current, but i plan to do away w/ the AC power supply & run it off of 12vdc (which the String accepts natively).

Running the lights off of 12 vdc means i can use them w/out the generator running (if I'm dry camping).

in this picture you can BARELY see the (taped down) LED extension wire hidden in the awning support (i used white duct tape - we'll see how long it lasts).

the (hole) thru the wall access is at the bottom (inside) of the awning support, i just pulled the caulk outta the hole and fished a wire thru, puling the LED extension wire (had to cut the end off) thru the hole and resealed the hole....once the extension wire was inside a quick solder job put the 4 wires back together.

Ive already had TWO trips (both trips had RAIN & one trip was driving in a hell of a down pour) - so far everything is staying in place nicely & showing no signs of poor adhesion.

heres a couple of pictures of the completed job in our storage bay -

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:56 PM   #2

heres a couple of pictures from this past weekends outing - NO CAMERA flash was used...the lighting is really good, red and blue are reported NOT to attract bugs and certainly less glare is produced w/ these colors - but you can make your own color choices via the 40 button remote (up to 20 color choices), you can even DIM the lights (via the remote) if necessary.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:59 PM   #3

here's a couple more after it got dark (again no flash) - i have a separate small set of (red) led's under the coach to illuminate or back light the steps. the step lights are not multi color & are on a separate switch.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:00 PM   #4

heres a panoramic photo (iphone camera f stop suffers in this mode) but you get the idea -

Old 09-29-2014, 04:07 PM   #5

ugh probably ruined this post by adding so many photos (maybe an admin can merge them together) - but the forum caps the included photos at 4 per post.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:57 AM   #6

Looks good Don. I already have purchased a string of LED lights to be installed the same way on my Haulmark. This gives me some incentive to get it done
Old 10-01-2014, 02:21 PM   #7

YEA !!! a response !

An alternative method of wiring could be to go 'up & over' - down thru the refrigerator vent if you don't have an existing hole in the exterior/wall, or cant hide it.

I've seen one (45 ft, conversion truck owner) who put the lights along the bottom of his coach, around the entire box....I was a bit surprised how nice it looked, although i think it could be TOO much if there was an awning string (like I've done) too.

Im still playing with the IR remote/receiver and its location, such that i have good access to it from outside.....i have it inside (placed in the window) for now & its a bit cumbersome to shoot the remote at (have to raise my arm)...but it works & i don't change the colors really so its basically and on or off (for me).
Old 10-02-2014, 10:00 PM   #8

I like the pictures. Thanks.