Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 01-02-2017, 07:31 PM   #11

That's how I came to install them. A few years ago a quick run up to Idaho turned into a 4 day adventure. I've read that the auto chains are 50 state dot legal. I don't know if that's really true but I thought it would be really nice to be able to deploy them in ice. We had a situation where there was ice every 30 mins or so, with good road in between. The truckers just left their chains on.... seemed like a pita to take them off/on. These things deploy really fast, maybe 3-5 seconds.

asitool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:29 PM   #12

I just returned this evening from a week of skiing with my wife and kids in Summit County, CO. Great snow for this time of year. We checked out Tiger River RV Resort, which is what got me interested in the auto chain systems. I would like to return this summer with the KTM's and the downhill MTB's to take advantage of both the great high altitude Moto trails nearby as well as the downhill MTB parks at Keystone, Winterpark, and Granby Ranch. Want to enjoy this with my two oldest while they're still at home and I'm still healthy. While I'll have no need for the chains in July, I was shocked to find the RV resort at full capacity now in December. Coaches rolling in and out on icy roads. It did not convince me to drive there in winter from the east coast, but at least made me realize that I could enjoy mine more than just April through November with some modifications and careful planning. That said, while driving to Denver Airport at 2am (22 hours ago), I would have appreciated some chains coming off Loveland Pass on I 70. Roads were clear, but the SUV did some minor 4 wheel drifting around more than one turn. Some chains available in 4-5 seconds would be great piece of mind.

RBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:44 PM   #13

completely understand the desire.

We have some business to deal with in Virginia and need to travel back at least quarterly at the moment.
Normally we drive (In warmer months) but ill be flying rather than risk it.

We bugged out earlier than we wanted - back in mid October - mostly because I didn't want to get trapped by weather.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:35 AM   #14

I am a newbie to larger than pickup haulers, but starting my first. That being said, are these chains only used for class 8 trucks? I have a C6500 project, and a setup like this would be nice. I do my best to avoid hauling in the snow and ice, but occasionally it catches you!
monkeyswrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:31 AM   #15

We have Onspot chains on our M2. You can download a measurement sheet or give them a call and they will assist to make sure you have the clearance on your C6500. They ship each kit built specifically for the rig it is going on. You will not find these stocked on a shelf so your best bet is likely talking to a dealer or calling them directly to make sure you get all the parts you need.
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #16

BTW The chain wheels have different length chains and sizes available. They are side sensitive as well. New ones are color coded red and blue. If you go the website they have installation manuals in PDF downloadable files. You can purchase a complete kit or just parts as needed.

ChiefMechanicMark is offline   Reply With Quote