Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-05-2016, 04:58 PM   #1

Default Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway

The wife and I would like to get on Skyline Drive in Front Royal, VA and finish up the Blue Ridge Parkway in Cherokee, NC. I wanted to see if any TC enthusiasts had traveled any parts of, or all of, these two roadways. It appears that there are some tunnel clearance issues if you don't ride down the center of the road in them. Anyone have any experiences with this?

If anyone has any big rig friendly campground/campsite recommendations along that path I would welcome that as well. Thanks!

petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:13 AM   #2

Sorry I can't help on those roads. Never been down that way. The Heavy Haulers campground guide might have advice on campgrounds down there though: HHRV Campgrounds - Locator Map

Old 10-07-2016, 12:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
Sorry I can't help on those roads. Never been down that way. The Heavy Haulers campground guide might have advice on campgrounds down there though: HHRV Campgrounds - Locator Map
OK, thanks!
Old 10-12-2016, 12:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
The wife and I would like to get on Skyline Drive in Front Royal, VA and finish up the Blue Ridge Parkway in Cherokee, NC. I wanted to see if any TC enthusiasts had traveled any parts of, or all of, these two roadways. It appears that there are some tunnel clearance issues if you don't ride down the center of the road in them. Anyone have any experiences with this?

If anyone has any big rig friendly campground/campsite recommendations along that path I would welcome that as well. Thanks!
DANG this site - why don't i get notices of new threads!

Petrel - I grew up in Front Royal. I don't think you should take the coach up the skyline drive - its too twisty, steep and i think you'll run into clearance issues (there is a tunnel that i don't believe you'll clear).

Id recommend driving i81 or Route 522/340 from front royal to luray etc.

I HIGHLY recommend staying at Andy Guest / Shenandoah River State Park - its just south of the Skyline Drive entrance and about 6 miles south of front royal.

the Park is REALLY nice, 30a & Water (sewer is via a dump tank/site in the park) - the showers and laundry facility are really nice some of the best I've ever encountered. The RV Slots are LARGE w/ big fire pit/rings and lots of area to sit outside your coach.

heres a couple of pictures of our coach/jeep in one of the slots at Andy Guest / Shenandoah river state park -

there are other campgrounds in the area - Luray (yogi bear) and I'm sure there are others that i can't give you hints on, if you like.

you DONT want to be anywhere near rt 33 or 29/211 (running east/west between i81 and the skyline drive around luray and harrisonburg)...theyre WAY too twisty to navigate
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:04 AM   #5

I am sorry to hear that. We really want to drive on the parkway. I'm not braving any of those tunnels. I was planning to adjust our trip to avoid the tunnels completely. It looks like we can get onto Skyline drive near Stanardsville, VA at Rt. 33 to avoid the Mary's Rock Tunnel, detour around the Bluff Mountain Tunnel, and end our Blue Ridge Parkway adventure near Linville Falls, NC on Rt. 221 to avoid the remainder of the southern tunnels. I've driven 33 as far as Harrisonburg. It was actually fun. What happens on the other side?

I've got a call into the park service inquiring about their tree trimming along the route. I don't mind curves and hills, but a couple of low hanging limbs would send me scurrying to the next exit!
Old 10-12-2016, 08:52 AM   #6

From the Shenandoah National Park web site -

RVs, camping trailers, and horse trailers are welcome, but be prepared to shift into low gear. Also, be sure you will clear Marys Rock Tunnel (just south of Thornton Gap entrance from Route 211) at 12'8".

rt 33 isn't as bad as 211 bad but its steep and coming off the drive and down that mountain isn't gonna be fun (or relaxing) in a 30k lb coach.

211 f'get about it - you'll drag in those steep switchback turns, and you surely won't be making any friends on the skyline drive climbing the mountain from front royal and south....Skyline Drive just isnt made for high clearance vehicles.

even conventional Class C's & Travel Tralers are a PIA up there, the drive just isn't intended for 40+ foot vehicles & i don't thing the BRP is any better...the BRP is slightly more open but it doesnt have as many overlooks.

certainly I'm biased having grown up in the area but the Skyline Drive from FR to 211 & 33 is the best part - lots of overlooks on both sides.

when are you thinking about going? theyll be closing parts of the drive soon (weather/snow) and the leaves are probably just about gone (were headed to Front Royal later today).

Heres the section of the SKYLINE Drive that splits 211....it shouldn't even be a consideration.

33 is slightly better but I'm not sure id do it in the coach either.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:54 PM   #7

Ok, I am thick headed. So lay it out for me one more time. If I skip the tunnels, is it impossible or just sporty? I haven't met a mountain the truck can't climb at 45mph or more, but I don't like the idea of dragging the back end!

It looks like the leaves haven't turned yet.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
Ok, I am thick headed. So lay it out for me one more time. If I skip the tunnels, is it impossible or just sporty? I haven't met a mountain the truck can't climb at 45mph or more, but I don't like the idea of dragging the back end!

It looks like the leaves haven't turned yet.

I suppose anything is possible....but i wouldn't necessarily call it sporty either (with its switchbacks and steep roads), i doubt you'd drag ON the drive. The ideal entrance would be at Front Royal.

I think you'd enjoy 340 or route 11 more (plenty of places to go/see/do & stop)...and then use the toad to drive the SLD or BRP.

im gonna go look at the Front Royal Entrance tomorrow for you....im not sure you'll even get in the front gate.

you gotta get past this gate (in front royal) AND there is a gate like that at every entrance (thorton gap rt29/211 and swift run / rt33LINK

take a look at the satellite / overhead view - i think you'd be ok ON the drive but getting on/off at 211 & 33 could be problem because of the mountainous road approaching or leaving the SLD....211 is out of the question to me.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:34 PM   #9

I appreciate it. I would not enter at Front Royal because I can't get through the first tunnel (12'9"). That was why I was fixing to get on the drive farther down.

I really wanted to drive it in the truck. It is much more comfortable than the doggone jeep! i am going to take your advice and give those satellite photos a good look.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:45 PM   #10

After taking a look at the sat image, I've become more concerned about the trees. The park service never called me back about their tree trimming guidelines. I may have to give them another call.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:04 AM   #11

RADAR ENFORCED speed limit on the SLD & BRP is 35mph & 45mph respectively, how uncomfortable can the jeep be (at those speeds)?
Old 10-16-2016, 07:54 AM   #12

Nah, the jeep stinks at any speed. When the DW purchased it for our AK trip, I figured it was just for fetching groceries and meeting guides. Now she has added a lift kit and big AT tires. It is definitely not a touring vehicle, in my book.

If we still find time to head over to the mountains, we will probably take the route you recommended and sightsee from there. Perhaps that would be a good time to discuss a toad upgrade Thanks!
Old 10-16-2016, 09:29 AM   #13

Well that's a shame - our '12 wrangler sport does well....I call it the "race jeep" - with ~290hp it really scoots!
Old 10-17-2016, 09:24 PM   #14

got a minute to get to the entrance of the SLD - even before you get to the entrance you'll see the sign below.

the clearance height at the entrance (booth) is 12' 10"

Old 10-17-2016, 09:37 PM   #15

heres a PDF Map (LINK) to better detail map of the "drive" (aka SLD / Skyline Drive).

Old 10-21-2016, 07:23 AM   #16

Thanks for all of your help. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm not going to make it up there this year. I really hate it when life gets in the way of my RVing