Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-25-2016, 07:14 AM   #1

Default Alaska Travel

Hello everyone. I hope that I will find time to make a trip to Alasaka on my Coachmen V10 motorhome that I recently bought from local rv center this year, can't wait anymore. But I have read many forums, blogs, comments etc. and got some doubts about Alaska travel, besides, I'm a beginner and have never practiced any camping or something else of that kind. I've never even been traveling such a long and far. But I still really want to start with Alaska, do you think Do you think at me will turn?

jncrowe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:03 PM   #2

1st Welcome to the forum.

I would not want to make a maiden voyage so far. I would recommend that you do some local camping - call it dry runs or shake down trips....youll gain a LOT of insight to what you may and may not need to take with you as well as you pick up the skills necessary to make your long distance trip go smoother.

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:32 PM   #3

Welcome!

Agree with bushpilot, your first camping "trip" should be close to home. Spend a week at one of Florida's fine state parks near home. You will be amazed at the amount of things you need to have with you that you forgot or didn't even occur to you. And that is when you are close to home or a WalMart. No such luck on the Alaskan Highway. You need all your ducks in a row for that trip. Supplies, tools, spares parts, spare fluids, etc. After a full season in our camper we still find things we need in there. Then do a trip long enough to spend a full day piling miles on the thing to check reliability. Nothing like 10 hours pushing it hard on the highway to make the gremlins pop up. Better to sort that stuff out in range of home than in some godforsaken rv dealer halfway past nowhere Kansas.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:30 PM   #4

Zakly. Start close, theres a lot of places to see, Alaska can wait. I've been there 2 times by motorhome. Both times we spent the summer. We loved it, my wife still talks about going back. With grandkids next time. The number one thing on my list for a motorhome in Alaska would be a VERY good exhaust brake, jakes are even better. When you top the pass, after seeing the glacier, headed to Valdeze the pucker factor is very high. Your brakes will be toast when you get to the bottom. Diesel is the only way to go.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote