Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #1

I am considering a purchase of a 45ft HDT motorhome. At a recent rally someone brought up the weight of the HDT as an issue when parking at rv parks (damage of roads ect). I was wondering what experiences you HDT motorhome owners have had at rv parks.

JG1199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:08 PM   #2

JG,
We had an HDT issue at a high-end RV park last summer but not that one. One of the managers at this “exclusive Class-A only” resort tried to classify us as a Commercial truck or a Super C. I had my MO DOT papers that classified us as an RV and the write in area had us listed as a Class A Motorhome. Not to mention we meet the literal definition of a Class-A with the cab opening into the living area and clear overhead area with no bunk or storage. After a brief discussion and a walk into the truck and we were given the OK. The interior is first class all the way and that was all they needed to see. We didn’t show them the motorcycles in the garage area out back.

Now about the weight, we scale at 37K LBS and that isn’t any more than a typical 40 foot diesel pusher so I can’t see where that would be much of an issue.

Rad

Old 09-21-2010, 07:06 AM   #3

Just a bit of nomenclature too. The term "hdt" usually refers to using a semi tractor type truck to pull a 5th wheel camper. A single unit rv built on a semi tractor type truck chassis would more commonly be referred to as a "truck conversion." Yay for looking at a truck conversion purchase. They are great. Weight isn't the issue as Rad said. My t/c is 36' long and with full (200 gallons) water tanks I'm under 27k lbs. The only place you might not be allowed in is one of those "class A only" parks. Their rules sometimes say if it's got a hood it's not a class A. Who would want to stay with a bunch of class A rigs that don't allow hoods anyhow?

A t/c is a great rv platform. Don't let any salesman from a rv dealer that doesn't sell t/c's tell you otherwise.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #4

I know that on the back roads it can be a pain to have such a large rig, I know when i am planning my trip i call around to most all of the camp grounds on my route and let them know what i have and when i plan to camp there, that way they can have a spot open for me (if they have trees in the way they will find a spot that is accessible. They will also tell me what roads i can use to get in/out of the park.

Melbourne RV
Global Auto And RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #5

Ok i can see the issue from a SNOB appeal perspective - but ive got no more OVERHEAD clearance need and weigh no more than a PUSHER...Every park we've been in (and im still new to this), we've attracted as much or more INTEREST than most of the "ordinary" pushers (its to the point that a high end pusher is common place).

any place a pusher can go, i can go and i can back in to any RV slot....i dont need a pull thru like some non driving TOTER HOMER owners.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #6

Last summer I looked at a 1981 Prevost (I think it was a Marathon conversion). In 1996 it had a new engine and transmission installed and the Marathon factory (or whoever did the original conversion) did a complete update of the interior and updated the outside lights to bring it into the 20th century. I was really impressed how nice the coach looked ... looked like something less than 15 years old! I think the miles on the new engine and trans was in the 150K area; no idea of the miles on the chassis.

Price was $75,000. I suspect I could have horse traded to something less than that.

So if the park has a Class A only ... no hoods allowed policy ... I could show up with my $75,000 Prevost and "be welcome" but you guys who bought your $200K or $300K Renegades or NRCs or Showhaulers are going to get pointed down the road?

Doesn't seem right. But then its a free country and type of RV is not a protected class under any anti-discrimination laws I'm aware of!

If I get an under $100K Prevost, get it into an exclusive Class A, no hoods allowed park and any of you are in the area ... you're more than welcome to come and visit. Please bring your potato cannons and lets see who can get a potato the furthest out in the pond! Winner gets to blow the train whistle!
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #7

Good one, #90.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #8

Tried to get a reservation at Las Vegas Motorcoach park and was denied because I am not a Class A. Too funny, they allow a POS 10 year old class A and deny a brand new, custom painted Truck Conversion. Hope they go broke.
Attached Thumbnails
017.jpg  
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #9

Never a problem here.......
Old 12-07-2012, 12:12 AM   #10

Gene-that is a cool rig. Neat having the bed over the garage, good thinking. Silver Crown built a nice rig, the guy who designed it now works for Renegade and introduced the Ikon (or so I was told)
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
Just a bit of nomenclature too. The term "hdt" usually refers to using a semi tractor type truck to pull a 5th wheel camper. A single unit rv built on a semi tractor type truck chassis would more commonly be referred to as a "truck conversion." Yay for looking at a truck conversion purchase. They are great. Weight isn't the issue as Rad said. My t/c is 36' long and with full (200 gallons) water tanks I'm under 27k lbs. The only place you might not be allowed in is one of those "class A only" parks. Their rules sometimes say if it's got a hood it's not a class A. Who would want to stay with a bunch of class A rigs that don't allow hoods anyhow?

A t/c is a great rv platform. Don't let any salesman from a rv dealer that doesn't sell t/c's tell you otherwise.
Hey....whats wrong with no hood...lol
Attached Thumbnails
camp.jpg  
40's rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #12

Default Our conversion

Here is a recent picture of our Peterbilt motorhome conversion project at our favorite campground, Grand Haven State Park in Grand Haven, Michigan. On the beach, on the shore of Lake Michigan.

If you are lucky enough to be at the beach, you are lucky enough!"
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0044.jpg  

Highway OPie (Speed Gray) Grand Rapids, MI: 2003 Peterbilt 379 Motorhome; 550 hp 6NZ Caterpillar C15, Eaton-Fuller 18 speed transmission, 3.36 rear; 63" sleeper and 16' Morgan box.(highwayopie@aol.com). There are many Peterbilts, but this one is mine!
Highway OPie is offline   Reply With Quote