Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #1

Default O-H . . . . I-O newbie

Hey everyone! I'm John, from SW Ohio. I have been interested in RVing and RV conversions for probably over 10-15 years. I hope to be able to build or buy my own T/C by the time I can retire, when the kids are off to college, in about 15 years.

I wouldn't mind buying a finished T/C, but like with houses and vehicles, I'm not too fond of buying someone else's dream or headaches. I like building custom cars and trucks and really prefer to build a T/C to my spec's and dreams.

For my truck, I love the looks of your typical classic class 8 trucks like a KW W900, Pete 379 or Freightshaker Classic. My goals with any truck I choose is to get the best MPG for a 500-600+HP engine and be able to full-time in it, while possibly pulling an enclosed single car or stacker trailer. My initial thoughts of what I want would require a budget of around $200K including the truck, but not the trailer. My MPG goal, BTW, is somewhere in the range of 10-15 or better. But with the weight, trailer and HP, I'm not expecting any better than 8 initially.

Well, that's my intro, I hope to learn a lot from this site and will post as much as I can. Hopefully one of those posts will be a build thread!

Thanks and God Bless!

JACC0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. I have not been a member that long myself, but have been following for quite a while. You will find tons of good info here from guys who have been there and built that.

I'm going to sound like BlizzND here, but if you have 200 grand to spend, right now you can buy a top of the line nearly new factory built rig complete with stacker trailer and all the bells and whistles for less than that. racingjunk.com, toterhome section. rollin' tomorrow.

Good luck! Dave

hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #3

Thanks!

I wish I had $200k right now, then I would go that route, lol. But I have that number in my head, and could probably do everything for half that. But, I have been in the construction and automotive industries for a long time and know that stuff happens, so I doubled it for a fudge factor lol.
Phil. 4:13 - I can do all this through Christ who gives me strength.
JACC0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:08 AM   #4

welcome to the site. I looked for 2 years to find the right truck to buy. found a 94 with only 107K on the clock Cummins six cyl and it runs like new.
If you really look around you find what you want for for a real good price.
my budget is 5% of yours. so far I am on target. Truck $2500, box $1500, fridge and microwave 350 (those are new),windows (4)bought on ebay $150,.....
A build thread is here: ARROC • View topic - The Monster tow rig,...or the Motorhome with a garage
mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:13 PM   #5

Hi John, welcome to the t/c forums. I've wanted a t/c for over 10 years since I first saw some at the race tracks. I ramped up my search two years ago when the economy went down the toilet. I positively stole mine and still feel bad for taking such advantage of the dealer. Hopefully you can strike when the striking is good too. I too love the looks of the trucks you've cited.