Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-29-2011, 10:28 PM   #1

Default Tank and Generator Size?

I am new to this site and am just starting to build a conversion on an International 4300 truck with a 466DT, 6 speed Fuller, and a 24 ft x 102" box. The H.P. can easily be dialed up if desired along with the torque but as they go up fuel economy will be reduced. Travel will be primarily for just my wife and myself but we want to make sure to build something which has a decent resale when or if we would plan to sell. My questions are: 1. How much HP should we need for this type of truck?
2. What size generator should we install? 3. What size fresh water and waste tanks would be recommended.
We will probably be using aluminum saddle tanks for black and gray water so
anywhere from 50 up to 100 gal each would be possible.
Love this site. Thanks in advance.
Les

LesReiselt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #2

Sounds like it's going to be a cool camper. I think you probably would only need one roof air for living quarters that size. My previous class A rv had one roof air and the generator was a 6k which seemed to work just fine. My present rig has two roof airs and it's got a 8k generator that seems to be plenty of power. I don't know what the smallest diesel generator you can get. My truck has 25 gallon black and 75 gallon gray tanks. My wife and I can go several (I'd guess 5-7 days) before filling up the tanks. And that's taking lots of showers because we cycle and run a lot. Usually you only need half to a third of the black tank vs. gray tank.
Good luck with the build and post lots of pictures and questions. There are lots of people around here that have built their campers and know lots of stuff.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:49 PM   #3

Thanks Bob. How much fresh water do you haul? I do plan to take pictures throughout the build process. It should be a nice vehicle.
Les
LesReiselt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #4

200 gallons fresh water for me. It lasts a long time.