Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-24-2014, 07:38 PM   #1

Default New Here

Hey Guys and galls. I am Tom and am real serious about getting a class 7 truck and going full time (eventually). I am retired on a disability and am 59 years old, wife got mad at her job and retired (yep, money is tight...). Anyhow I do have some questions as far as re-titling a class 7 to a motorhome in Minnesota. I am wondering about the requirements to meet federal mandates for a motorhome and what the minimum would be for my state. It may look a bit "stupid" for me to use a class 7 truck to pull a 28' fiver, but that is what I have at the moment (hoping to upgrade later).
Tom

Mntom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:20 PM   #2

Welcome aboard. BTW what is a class 7 truck?

Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:31 PM   #3

A Class 7 truck is a single axle semi. I found some for a reasonable price so I am thinking...........
seems funny being a "Junior Member" on a forum....... I have owned a forum since about 2005.....
Old 10-27-2014, 09:23 PM   #4

Yay, welcome to the Truck Conversion forum, Tom! I'm also in MN, over in St. Paul. I am retired from 29 years in law enforcement so I know a very little bit about MN statutes. First question that comes to mind, "is your truck a day cab?" Because if it is you're not going to be able to legally license it as a motorhome in MN. Emphasis should be placed on the word "legally." I've seen day cab trucks sporting RV license plates in MN. MN designates self propelled motorhomes on their license plates as RV. There is just no way to get enough of the required items into a day cab to pass as an RV. The catch is, there is no official inspection to get RV plates. You go into the DMV office and sign a form stating that you have all the items to qualify as an RV and they give you RV plates. Now, the way you're going to get into trouble is if you have contact with a law enforcement person that knows enough about the laws, and cares about tagging you. You might not ever have a problem. And, I suspect if you head out of MN you're going to have even less problem because most cops from other states don't really know what MN requires to give you those RV plates.

Now, if you have a sleeper and want to legally (add emphasis there) get RV plates on it I can get you the statutes that explain what you need.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #5

What kind of plate does the truck have on it now? Is it registered in MN?
Old 10-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #6

Here's the MN statute that defines a motorhome:

168.002 Subd. 17.Motor home. (a) "Motor home" means a recreational vehicle designed to provide temporary living quarters. The motor home has a living unit built into as an integral part of, or permanently attached to the chassis of, a motor vehicle or van.

(b) A motor home must contain permanently installed, independent, life-support systems that meet the American National Standards Institute standard number A119.2 for recreational vehicles and provide at least four of the following facilities, two of which must be from the systems listed in clauses (1), (5), and (6): (1) a cooking facility with liquid propane gas supply, (2) a refrigerator, (3) a self-contained toilet or a toilet connected to a plumbing system with a connection for external water disposal, (4) a heating or air conditioning system separate from the motor vehicle engine, (5) a potable water supply system including a sink with a faucet either self-contained or with connections for an external source, and (6) a separate 110-125 volts electrical power supply.

(c) For purposes of this subdivision, "permanently installed" means built into or attached as an integral part of a chassis or van, and designed not to be removed except for repair or replacement. A system that is readily removable or held in place by clamps or tie-downs is not permanently installed.

(d) Motor homes include a:

(1) type A motor home, which is a raw chassis upon which is built a driver's compartment and an entire body that provides temporary living quarters as described in paragraph (b);

(2) type B motor home, which is a van that conforms to the description in paragraph (b) and has been completed or altered by a final-stage manufacturer; and

(3) type C motor home, which is an incomplete vehicle upon which is permanently attached a body designed to provide temporary living quarters as described in paragraph (b).

(e) A motor vehicle with a slip-in camper or other removable equipment that is mounted into or on a motor vehicle is not a motor home, is not a recreational vehicle, and must not be registered as a recreational vehicle under section 168.013.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #7

Thanks for the welcome, Bob! I appreciate it. I don't have a truck yet.... working on it, but it may be a while due to my limited budget.... I have an eighteen year old Dodge 2500 with the Cummins, but looking at replacement an HDT is way more cost effective to me. I am gathering all the info I can to do this the legal way. It makes it so much easier in the long run......
I can get an HDT for less than what it would cost to replace my pick up and the longevity, you know about that. Realistically this could very possibly be the last truck I ever buy so I am taking my time.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #8

Oh okay. For sure I think you would want to only consider a truck with a good size sleeper on it. That way you can put enough stuff into it to license it as a motorhome. It should be much cheaper to license and insure that way. And you wouldn't need any special license to operate it either. My son is a owner/operator truck driver. He bought a '03 Freightliner FLD120 almost two years ago for $18k. Cummins N-14 engine, straight 10 trans. He's used it all this time with almost no problems. It's got the huge condo sleeper with upper bunk. He was thinking about adding the stuff to turn it into a motorhome when he quits driving. He did some research and doesn't think it would be very expensive to add enough. So, I think you're barking up the right alley. Have you ever heard of the HDT Rally ? I've gone to it about 5 times. It's a great time. They are very welcoming to people that don't have hdt's but are thinking about getting into one. You've just missed this one. They have one in the spring they call the East Coast Rally. But the other one in Kansas is billed as the National Rally. For sure you should make plans to attend next October. Hopefully you can go to one before buying a truck. They have a forum for the HDT crowd too at: HDT - Escapees Discussion Forum
Old 10-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #9

I have been thinking about the HDTs for a while. Just to give you some back ground on me I have held a Class A or the equivalent of for the last 48 years (damn, that makes me feel old!!) and have been in 47 states and four provinces of Canada in a big truck. I have been out of them for 26 years. I am actually looking forward to driving a larger truck again!
Old 10-28-2014, 12:17 PM   #10

Wow. Which state did you miss? I think I'd have to drive there just to say I hit them all!
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot rod View Post
Wow. Which state did you miss? I think I'd have to drive there just to say I hit them all!
Maine is the only state I haven't been in. I was three miles from it once. That load started out in Auburn, Wa and ended in Portsmouth, NH. I used to pull a lot of oversize loads and used to know just about all the laws in the country concerning them as they pertained to me. Pulling a smaller trailer with an HDT will be a pleasure compared to some of the loads and trailers I have had behind me. Want to try something fun?? Try New Jersey with a trailer that is 60' long, 8' overhang at the rear, and 12' wide, or winding up on Long Island (for the first time) with an oversize load. I have also pulled a load here in Minnesota that the tractor needed to be licensed for 122,000 pounds and I am not sure that it was quite enough for the load, but it made me look legal.......
Old 10-28-2014, 07:09 PM   #12

Something else I have been thinking about was to buy an old slide in camper just for the appliances. I have found them for $300 to $500 and it wold give me all the materials for hook ups and appliances I would need for my conversion project. Any one see a problem with my thought process? BE NICE....
Old 10-28-2014, 10:19 PM   #13

I think you first need to figure out what kind of truck you want. Then buy it. Then figure out how you're going to get it converted to a motorhome. If you find a truck with an APU (auxiliary power unit) that will take care of a couple of the requirements. A $500 slip in truck camper is going to have some pretty worthless appliances in it.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:22 AM   #14

What I am looking at for appliances are more to get it titled as a motorhome than anything else. I already have a fiver for a camper.
I do have one question about the cooking facility. I am guessing that a microwave won't fit the statute since it states "a cooking facility with liquid propane gas supply"? Just keep in mind that right now all my thoughts and plans are still in the thinking stage. I don't have a truck yet and am still gathering all the info I can.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:27 PM   #15

But you don't have to have section 1. You could have section 5 and 6, then the easiest would be refrigerator and water/sink I think. You could use an APU to provide heat/ac and 120 volt power for 4 and 6.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:37 PM   #16

You are correct, Oh Mighty One!! I misinterpreted the wording. I was thinking it said you must include #1. That makes it even easier. For the APU I have two generators in my garage. Now to find a truck that fits my budget.....
Old 11-19-2014, 08:48 PM   #17

Well, crap. It looks like I need to put my plans on hold....... They way things are for now I have way to much month left at the end of the money. Wife and I may need to sell off a bunch of stuff (including the house) to get a truck/motorhome. Oh well, if we do that we can full time it!
Old 12-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #18

I may not need to put my plans on hold as long as I thought.... My wife and I figured a way that is supposed to save us $750 a month!! I have a question though, Suppose I were to buy a truck out of state, how do you go about getting a temporary tag to get it home?
Old 12-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #19

Depends on the state. Some will issue a temp tag, some will not, some only for residents. Only states I know from personal experience are Ohio and Indiana will issue a temp tag. Wisconsin supposedly only for residents, but I arm twisted the dmv lady into giving me one by assuring her I was only driving it directly out of the state. I called and asked in Florida because I was thinking about buying a trailer there, and they told me no. Here in Ohio you have 10 days from purchase where you can use the tag from your existing vehicle until you get to the dmv to transfer the tag to the new vehicle. So my theory there is use my existing plate to get home, and if stopped tell them you are going to transfer the plate. When I brought my cab/chassis home from Wisconsin to Ohio, I stuck a "not for hire" decal on the doors and didn't stop at any scalehouses, maybe just got lucky.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #20

I wonder if the "Not For Hire" idea is something I should consider for transporting the truck home...... Around here any truck with that on it is kind of a red flag to the DOT if it is on the road as a truck or pulling a trailer. A motorhome on the other hand is not looked at...... You guys are making me think too much! I have had a headache for the last three days.