Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-07-2010, 10:05 AM   #1

Hi All,

I am new to the forum at the invitation of Bob866ZZ4. I have been trying to start something on other forums like FMCA because I could not seem to find like minded freaks until now.

This all started when I attended the FMCA convention and was told by a number of "Class A Only" RV resorts that were exhibiting. It started to make me angry that resort after resort said no to us. One salesperson said, "If you have a hood, you do not stay here!" As a former Class-A owner, I did not realize that there was segregation going on. So, when we went to the other-side and turned away a few times, it started to really irritate me. Since we rarely stay in these resorts, but use them only to wind down after a hard business cycle, I found it way too offing.

We traveled many years in a Class A Monaco. As our business forced us on the road full-time, we looked to replace our tired coach. We finally discovered ShowHauler and made the move to the smart side late in 2008.

We had ShowHauler custom build our motor home on a Freightliner Cascadia with a DD15 motor. It is part office and living quarters for us. Most of our travel is west of the Rockies and the new coach takes the hill and travels with ease.

I am a geek, so I hope to help out with computer and communication issues people have.

There is a story about our build on our blog at http://www.chilltravelers.com/chill/?p=1415 Please feel free to cruise around our blog.

Glad I have been introduced to all of you and I plan to tell a couple of my friends with big hoods about the forum.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #2

Bob, welcome to truckconversion.net! I'm sure glad you've come over here. I wish they would have left all the posts and the thread up at rv.net and just locked it down. It was SOOOO amazing. You can't believe how rude and attacking people were to me. All because I simply suggested adding a chassis forum. The most brutal attacks came from "Acampingwewillgo" and "Dutch_12078." Curiously they both own older class A's.

Anyway, great job on your rig build. You are very lucky to get such a powertrain too. That DD15 is a great motor. So many of the MB450's out there and I've talked to a bunch of truck mechanics that aren't that fond of them. My son is an over-the-road truck driver and his company truck is a Freighliner Columbia with the Mercedes motor. He would rather have a Cat or Det in it he says. But he drives like 3-5k miles a week I think. And he's mostly right at 80k lbs.

Showhaulers are real nice. I tried to buy one from a guy built on a Kenworth T2000. We couldn't agree on the price so I ended up finding the United Specialties I bought. All is good.

Maybe you can come to the hdt rally?

Old 07-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #3

Welcome, all us freaks are here, and happy to have you, Gene
Old 07-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #4

Welcome to the T/C forum,
I'd love to see this forum grow and eventually have a rally of our own!
Till then lets just keep on truck'n
-blizz
Old 07-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by blizzardND:
Welcome to the T/C forum,
I'd love to see this forum grow and eventually have a rally of our own!
Till then lets just keep on truck'n
-blizz
Hay Todd, maybe you can arrange it for the hdt rally to have a section for t/c's to park together? Other rally's I've seen sometimes do special stuff like that. The FMC rally was in St. Paul two years ago and they had a whole section of those classic GMC front wheel drive rv's. I don't konw if that would be good or bad. Maybe we'd better not because the hdt guys might think we're trying to be better than them? Never mind.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #6

Hay Bob, I see a Vette in your garage. What's that yellow car on the left tho? I've got a built '86 Vette that I autocross and open track lap. My son has a '87 road course Vette and a '99 that he's in the middle of building into a One Lap car, monster motor, tons of suspension and aero, etc....
Old 07-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob86ZZ4:
Hay Bob, I see a Vette in your garage. What's that yellow car on the left tho?
The vet is a Grand Sport that belongs to a buddy of mine. Sad to say that yellow thing is an unfinished GT40. I have a Factory Five Cobra that is finished and very cool though. I gues everyone should have an unfinished project

Old 07-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #8

Great. The yellow one is an original GT-40? Those were very cool cars. Or is it a Factory Five kit? Still cool, just not as good as the original.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob86ZZ4:
Great. The yellow one is an original GT-40? Those were very cool cars. Or is it a Factory Five kit? Still cool, just not as good as the original.
Bob, not sure if we successfully hijacked this thread, but both are kits. The GT40 is an Australian DRB and the Cobra a Factory Five. Ironically both are a lot better cars than the originals design wise. As well, Lucas Prince of Darkness does not plague the kits like he did the originals....

Bob
Old 07-07-2010, 02:59 PM   #10

Well, the title is "new member" so as far as hijack I think it's okay. We're talkin' 'bout the new member. Yes, kits are neat. My son was close making a Factory Five GTM. Various reasons he decided to build his '99 Fixed Roof Coupe (Vette) instead. Todd (BlizzND) has a kit I think, don't you Todd?