Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-11-2015, 01:46 PM   #1

Default I would like your opinion

Hi, my name is Norm.
I own a 2008 F350 that I bought new for approximately $ 60,000.00. Last month the high pressure pump went south and the Ford dealership wanted $ 11,000.00 to replace the pump and clean up all the metal that was now in the fuel system. The truck only has 80,323 miles on it and has a maintenance record that is 33% better than Fords recommendations. Needless to say I am just fed up with the Ford Corporation.
I use this truck for towing a 30' Toy Hauler which can weigh as much as 15,000 lbs gross. I also pull a dump trailer that I move a little 435 Bobcat excavator with, which is approximately 16,000 lbs gross. I’ don’t want to go spend a bunch of money on another pickup.
I’m looking into buying a class 8 Freightliner or Volvo, conventional sleeper model and modifying it to use for a tow vehicle. Does anyone think that a class 8 would be overkill for what I’m towing?

Oldtimer Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:00 PM   #2

Default Sorry

I ment "I would like your opinion"

Old 10-11-2015, 07:20 PM   #3

Norm, what you want to do is no more overkill that anyone else using a class 8 for camping. Look at it this way, you can get more of a class 8 truck for the same money as a diesel powered pick-up. You will get more comfort in the cab, more power under the hood, much more longevity in the driveline, WAY bigger brakes, much more frame under you if something happens, well, you get the idea. To me it is a no brainer. I just need to figure out how I can purchase one.......
Old 10-11-2015, 09:01 PM   #4

Norm,

Keep in mind, pulling a trailer with an excavator, even a small one with a class 8 tractor will attract the unwanted attention of your friendly commercial vehicle enforcement officer. then you are messing with DOT numbers, insurance, CDL etc. Make sure you check you state requirements for commercial hauling.

With most states if the tractor is licensed as an RV (in Washington that means removing the commercial 5th wheel hitch, and having three out of 4 "living items" in the truck.. ie. bed, 120v power, sink, cooking etc.) then you can pull any recreational trailer without CDL.

Dave
Dragonslayer140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:05 AM   #5

A. There is no such thing as too much truck. You find that out the first time you try to panic stop a 16000# trailer with inadequate electric brakes with a 7000# dually. Same story when you try to make that fast move to avoid an accident and you find out the trailer is towing you.

B. Assuming you use the excavator commercially, and let's face it every excavator is commercial unless you just like digging up your backyard for fun, that 16000# trailer already requires a class A cdl, usdot number, and every other dot requirement regardless of the truck you are towing it with. Only difference is you might (just might) get a tick less scrutiny with the dually. But they are looking at those pretty close too, particularly if you cross a state line. My buddy got busted 20 miles from his shop, but just across the state line, for no usdot numbers (and the ensuing anal exam) on his dually and small single axle construction trailer. So you might as well have a truck that is more than up to the task, and a better bargain that the dually.

I currently tow my 19000# fifth wheel with a GMC 6500 topkick, and am now casually shopping for a class 8 truck to replace it, and wishing I'd gone that way in the first place. The 6500 has plenty of brakes and weight (12500#) to handle the trailer like a dream compared to my old dually, just lacking in the horsepower department. For that same $60k that dually cost, you can pick up a class 8 truck with a half million dependable miles left in it for $50k, and spend the leftover 10 on singling, a nice bed, and any minor repairs(like any used vehicle you buy) needed to make it real nice.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:28 PM   #6

Thanks for your reply Mntom,
I just think that a Volvo 780 with a 14 foot dump trailer would look funny but I don,t really care how it looks. I plan on going to a goose neck dump trailer next spring.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:16 PM   #7

Hey guys, thanks for the input,
I'm singed up with Taylor Driving school to get my Class A CDL. I'm going to be off work for about 6 weeks due to surgery, so me being the type of person I am, not willing or able to sit still. I thought a CDL would be a good thing to have. Me being a retired timber feller now working for Boeing, I plan on retiring from there in 3 years or so and want to go to work for ASRC in Alaska for a few more years. They require a Class A CDL.
My son and have I invested in a house that needs remodeled and the lot is dividable. That's why I own a dump trailer and excavator. Plus I have several friends that own private motocross tracks that I pitch in on maintenance with the excavator. So nothing is commercial at this point but I can see where people may assume that. Enough of that.
I've been looking at Volvo 670's and 780's for $ 20 K or less. There are some really nice looking, well maintained rigs on the market. Anyone have key things to look out for? Should I hire a truck mechanic to check out a truck of interest?
Now you guys have me thinking about mounting my 30 foot, 2004 Gear Box toy hauler onto a class 8 truck.
Sorry for rambling on, I really value your opinions on this truck subject.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2015, 03:49 PM   #8

what year is your f350? thats an EXCESSIVE price just for the pump replacement.
There were problems on certain year 6.0s (late 2004 & early 2005) where Ford used a
STC (snap to connect) fitting....the fitting/o-rings eventually leak, draining the .9 qt of oil out of the reservoir - the leak down prevents the HPOP from building the necessary 500 (minimum) psi needed to fire the injectors.

the fix is easy no where near the cost of a reman motor (your prices).

I'm the LAST one to try and talk you out of a Class 8 truck....you can NEVER have enough truck. For a more realistic estimate call Dorian (owner) of PowerStroke Enginuities - Tell 'em Don Rumsey sent you.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
/SNIP
Unfortunately he has suffered a HPFP failure.
When the pump decided it's tired of making 22-30,000 psi, or gets a dose of fuel it doesn't like, it explodes shrapnel all over the place.
It's about the same cost (and less risk) to replace everything vs flushing.
This means........ New fuel tank, lift pump, main lines, water separator, fuel filter,HPFP, distribution regulator, high pressure rail, injectors, return lines, fuel cooler, kenuder valve and enough labor to make the mechanics mortgage payment. I think the cab gets removed in this process?

I wish I was exaggerating.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Unfortunately he has suffered a HPFP failure.
When the pump decided it's tired of making 22-30,000 psi, or gets a dose of fuel it doesn't like, it explodes shrapnel all over the place.
It's about the same cost (and less risk) to replace everything vs flushing.
This means........ New fuel tank, lift pump, main lines, water separator, fuel filter,HPFP, distribution regulator, high pressure rail, injectors, return lines, fuel cooler, kenuder valve and enough labor to make the mechanics mortgage payment. I think the cab gets removed in this process?

I wish I was exaggerating.

what years are you talking about? not a 6.0 issue i can tell you that, the pump on the 6.0 is simple, sits in the rear valley, driven off the cam gear and theres really nothing to disintegrate really.

I've been around a lot of 6.0s and never heard of this.

the 6.0 hpop leak down (from the STC fitting) is very common....exhibits itself as extended crank times (required to refill the reservoir to then build the minimum 500psi) until eventually the STC o-rings won't hold the pressure (4000 psi).

if the ICP sensor doesnt see 500psi it won't fire an injector and the engine won't start. if it sees more than 4000 psi it opens a by-pass & both are VERY easily diagnosed symptoms.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:43 PM   #11

Default 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
There were problems on certain year 6.0s (late 2004 & early 2005) where Ford used a
STC (snap to connect) fitting....the fitting/o-rings eventually leak, draining the .9 qt of oil out of the reservoir - the leak down prevents the HPOP from building the necessary 500 (minimum) psi needed to fire the injectors.

the fix is easy no where near the cost of a reman motor (your prices).

I'm the LAST one to try and talk you out of a Class 8 truck....you can NEVER have enough truck. For a more realistic estimate call Dorian (owner) of PowerStroke Enginuities - Tell 'em Don Rumsey sent you.
It's a 2008 and the Ford dealer wanted to replace everything involved. Jasong put it very nicely in his reply. I've never had to walk out of the woods (home from work) driving a ford but if they are not standing behind there trucks, I got to go another route.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:18 PM   #12

I'm with the rest, no such thing as too much truck. So you have excess capability and capacity, to me that means a measure of safety and better reliability since you are not running at max.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:46 PM   #13

Norm,

Definately be careful around the DOT with that bobcat in tow! I had the crap scared out of me one Sunday on the way to the races. I was driving my buddies converted ambulance hauler (f-350) pulling a 32 foot open/enclosed trailer with a dirt latemodel on it down the interstate. A guy in a pick-up with commercial lettering on the side blew by us and the scale. Next thing I knew, I was seeing red and blue lights coming up fast.

I wasn't sure if we needed to stop at the scale so small panic episode, but DOT kept right on going past us. Come over the next hill, and he had the fella with the skid loader stopped on the shoulder and it didn't appear that he was smiling.

Side note, I bet the driver was cussing like hell at the three trucks pulling racecars that went right on past as he was getting his anal exam.

Hurricane95 is offline   Reply With Quote