Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-30-2015, 06:34 PM   #1

Default I know what I want

Greetings all,

I'm just getting into the process of trying to see how I can get HDT to pull a 5th wheel. I'm about 5yrs from retirement and would like to RV full time. I've found what I want and have determined which state I can register it in as a private truck rather than a commercial vehicle, but the insurance is killing me. The only broker I could get a quote from would charge me 250 a month just for the truck. I need some advise on where to look for insurance that won't be as much as car payment.

Thanks,
BP

Gofurs22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:01 PM   #2

i was w/ bluesky - but Texas' insurance commission allowed everyone to jack the rates.
i moved to Allstate (where we have the cars/motorcycle) - i think we pay about 900 a year for 100k value.

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:26 AM   #3

I am using American Family. I pay $480 for the year. The only problem I am having right now is they are only insuring it for the value of the tractor that it originally was. I am pretty far through my conversion now and would like it insured for more than the tractor but require to have it appraised. I haven't figured out who can appraise this thing yet? Not sure who your conversion was done by but make sure its insured for what you paid.
superbird03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:22 AM   #4

I have a Farm Bureau and they only go by NADA.... not good, I am shopping now for an agreed value, I have that on my old cars, and the price is not bad! I am going to try State Farm and see what happens.

Sam
2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #5

I just got a quote from American Family for 900 a year. That's just on an International Prostar day cab. I found that WY will register it for useage not commercial, so I just need to figure that one out. Do you guys have to pay the GVW tax because of the weights we're talking about? I'm going to try Allstate and see what I can get with them. Thanks for the info folks!
Gofurs22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:00 PM   #6

Default Insurance Issues

Greetings. I'm having insurance issues as well. Next week I'm buying a 1983 Kenworth W900 that has already been converted and titled as an RV. So far I've called Progressive, Geico, RV America, and Blue Sky. All have said that they couldn't insure the vehicle even though I only want liability. Any recommendations would be much appreciated!
nomadjournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:49 PM   #7

I am currently with State Farm and talked to my agent a while back. I told him what I wanted to do and he said "No problem, about $1000 a year". I have not purchased a truck yet so I don't know how valid the pricing or policy actually was. You may try checking with State Farm.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:28 PM   #8

I'm with State Farm and they're very reasonable.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofurs22 View Post
I just got a quote from American Family for 900 a year. That's just on an International Prostar day cab. I found that WY will register it for useage not commercial, so I just need to figure that one out. Do you guys have to pay the GVW tax because of the weights we're talking about? I'm going to try Allstate and see what I can get with them. Thanks for the info folks!
I was able to get insurance through my RV insurance provider National Interstate, but had to send pics and they sort of had to fake the docs since no category for a truck conversion. I did have to send pics, and they used my value. It only worked because mine is a Showhauler and not home conversion, they would not have done coverage if I had done the conversion. Full coverage is about $1600/year.

As to the weight question, yes I pay a big amount extra for registration based on the weight. Don't have the exact cost, but form memory the total is about $275/year due to the weight fees, even with being RV registration. That's here in New Mexico.

Tags
insurance