Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Hi, I am.... (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f116/)
-   -   I know what I want (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f116/i-know-what-i-want-7470/)

Gofurs22 09-30-2015 06:34 PM

I know what I want

Greetings all,

I'm just getting into the process of trying to see how I can get HDT to pull a 5th wheel. I'm about 5yrs from retirement and would like to RV full time. I've found what I want and have determined which state I can register it in as a private truck rather than a commercial vehicle, but the insurance is killing me. The only broker I could get a quote from would charge me 250 a month just for the truck. I need some advise on where to look for insurance that won't be as much as car payment.

Thanks,
BP

bushpilot 09-30-2015 08:01 PM

i was w/ bluesky - but Texas' insurance commission allowed everyone to jack the rates.
i moved to Allstate (where we have the cars/motorcycle) - i think we pay about 900 a year for 100k value.

superbird03 10-01-2015 06:26 AM

I am using American Family. I pay $480 for the year. The only problem I am having right now is they are only insuring it for the value of the tractor that it originally was. I am pretty far through my conversion now and would like it insured for more than the tractor but require to have it appraised. I haven't figured out who can appraise this thing yet? Not sure who your conversion was done by but make sure its insured for what you paid.

samcrimm 10-01-2015 09:22 AM

I have a Farm Bureau and they only go by NADA.... not good, I am shopping now for an agreed value, I have that on my old cars, and the price is not bad! I am going to try State Farm and see what happens.

Sam

Gofurs22 10-01-2015 01:35 PM

I just got a quote from American Family for 900 a year. That's just on an International Prostar day cab. I found that WY will register it for useage not commercial, so I just need to figure that one out. Do you guys have to pay the GVW tax because of the weights we're talking about? I'm going to try Allstate and see what I can get with them. Thanks for the info folks!

nomadjournal 10-01-2015 05:00 PM

Insurance Issues

Greetings. I'm having insurance issues as well. Next week I'm buying a 1983 Kenworth W900 that has already been converted and titled as an RV. So far I've called Progressive, Geico, RV America, and Blue Sky. All have said that they couldn't insure the vehicle even though I only want liability. Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Mntom 10-01-2015 07:49 PM

I am currently with State Farm and talked to my agent a while back. I told him what I wanted to do and he said "No problem, about $1000 a year". I have not purchased a truck yet so I don't know how valid the pricing or policy actually was. You may try checking with State Farm.

Bob86ZZ4 10-01-2015 08:28 PM

I'm with State Farm and they're very reasonable.

38Chevy454 10-01-2015 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gofurs22 (Post 44435)
I just got a quote from American Family for 900 a year. That's just on an International Prostar day cab. I found that WY will register it for useage not commercial, so I just need to figure that one out. Do you guys have to pay the GVW tax because of the weights we're talking about? I'm going to try Allstate and see what I can get with them. Thanks for the info folks!

I was able to get insurance through my RV insurance provider National Interstate, but had to send pics and they sort of had to fake the docs since no category for a truck conversion. I did have to send pics, and they used my value. It only worked because mine is a Showhauler and not home conversion, they would not have done coverage if I had done the conversion. Full coverage is about $1600/year.

As to the weight question, yes I pay a big amount extra for registration based on the weight. Don't have the exact cost, but form memory the total is about $275/year due to the weight fees, even with being RV registration. That's here in New Mexico.