Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Hi, I am.... (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f116/)
-   -   Expandable truck (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f116/expandable-truck-6087/)

GC45 09-01-2011 11:01 AM

Expandable truck

Hi
New member, new to the idea of conversion as well.
I began looking at ex-military vehicles as a possible solution for travel on the difficult roads of Latin America. I found this:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1143766...CJr6gNTV5Z3baA
I wouldn't know where to begin with a conversion, but one problem became apparent right off, namely how to handle areas with plumbing, as slide-outs run full-length each side.
Ideas?

Bob86ZZ4 09-01-2011 10:15 PM

I think there's a web site for converted military vehicles isn't there? Something like steelsoldiers or something. I'll try googling it.

Bob86ZZ4 09-01-2011 10:17 PM

Hunt around on Steel Soldiers

hot rod 09-02-2011 12:18 AM

plumbing and electrical in a slideout are apparently doable, as many new rv's now use a full kitchen slide out. Seems a bit complicated to me, simpler to put the furniture in the slide, but they are doing it. Go to your local rv dealer and "shop" for a 5th wheel and make sure to check out the mechanicals on the slide.

Eskimo 09-02-2011 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hot rod (Post 37322)
plumbing and electrical in a slideout are apparently doable, as many new rv's now use a full kitchen slide out. Seems a bit complicated to me, simpler to put the furniture in the slide, but they are doing it.

I agree, and yeah, they are doing it, but personally, I'd rather have only electrical moving in and out, rather than electrical, hot/cold water, and grey water. Just more to go wrong over the long haul.

GC45 09-02-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 (Post 37321)
Hunt around on Steel Soldiers

Thanks
I'll spend some time there.

GC45 09-02-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hot rod (Post 37322)
plumbing and electrical in a slideout are apparently doable, as many new rv's now use a full kitchen slide out. Seems a bit complicated to me, simpler to put the furniture in the slide, but they are doing it. Go to your local rv dealer and "shop" for a 5th wheel and make sure to check out the mechanicals on the slide.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eskimo (Post 37324)
I agree, and yeah, they are doing it, but personally, I'd rather have only electrical moving in and out, rather than electrical, hot/cold water, and grey water. Just more to go wrong over the long haul.

I just looked at the 2011 NuWa floorplans as a place to start. They have several kitchen slides, but none where the sink is in the slide. I can see wiring, flexible gas lines, possibly even plastic water lines in a slide. As a plumber by trade I can't come up with any scenario for waste piping. I can't recall for certain having seen an RV layout with the kitchen sink in a slide. As to bathroom slides, they don't exist.

Kenn 09-02-2011 03:12 PM

kitchen slides

My sister has a 29' "traveler" motorhome made by Holiday Rambler and her entire kitchen slides out. Yes the sink and all. And yes she has had a water leak caused by plumbing that rides in a wooden track getting snaged while the slide was going in or out. I don't remember if it was a supply line or the sink drain. I think the sink drain line is a white ribbed plastic setup.

GC45 09-02-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenn (Post 37327)
My sister has a 29' "traveler" motorhome made by Holiday Rambler and her entire kitchen slides out. Yes the sink and all. And yes she has had a water leak caused by plumbing that rides in a wooden track getting snaged while the slide was going in or out. I don't remember if it was a supply line or the sink drain. I think the sink drain line is a white ribbed plastic setup.

It just dawned on me that there is a residential toilet (Saniflo) which is rear wasted into a sump tank with macerating pump. It's normally used for basement installations where the building drain is above the basement floor. Other bath fixtures may be wasted into the tank.

I believe I could make do with an outside shower, lightening the load on both the slide & waste tanks.

The kitchen sink could be handled in a similar fashion. Putting the sink adjacent to the toilet but separated by a bulkhead would obviate the need for a separate bathroom basin.

Waterlines, gas lines & wiring shouldn't be too challenging.

I'll have to learn more about the load capacity of the slides. I have no idea at this point what the original application of the vehicle was.

GC45 09-02-2011 07:15 PM

Update on load capacity.

"The M820 variant Expansible Vans transport electronic base stations into the field. In the traveling position, van truck bodies are 17 feet long by 8 feet wide (5.2 meters long by 2.4 meters wide). When in the field, van sides are expanded to give a width of nearly 14 feet (4.3 meters). They may serve as communication stations or electronic repair stations. The vans are designed to carry up to 5,000 pounds (2,270 kilograms) of equipment into the field. The M820A2 expansible van is equipped with a hydraulic liftgate, which makes it the preferred vehicle to use when heavy, delicate electronic equipment has to be moved in or out of van."

Gettin' excited now.

Is this the best place for this thread?

Doc Weaver 09-02-2011 09:33 PM

We have been using the Incinolet for a while and I would suggest looking into it for a toilet in a slide. the only problem would still be a sink.

GC45 09-02-2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Weaver (Post 37330)
We have been using the Incinolet for a while and I would suggest looking into it for a toilet in a slide. the only problem would still be a sink.

Without looking into it too deeply, I see that, for me, the use of electricity to accelerate the composting process is a no go. My aim is to use solar energy as far as possible, so minimizing electricity consumption is uppermost.