Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   You Gotta See This! (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f107/)
-   -   Older conversion for sale. 1995 38' conversion on a 1987 Kenworth. (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f107/older-conversion-sale-1995-38-conversion-1987-kenworth-4788/)

BravestDog 03-31-2008 08:06 PM

It has a buy it now price of $55k.

It has 428k miles and the motor was rebuilt 48k miles ago according to the seller and built by Concept Trailers in Fresno, CA.

Check out how the stairs have to be removed from the storage compartment to be used here and what are the metal strips on the roof for shown here?

It looks like it has a forward kitchen and a rear bathroom.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-38-Custom-Built-Tru...ash=item320233126387

geofkaye 03-31-2008 10:07 PM

......Inspect it close and then steal it for $55k.......needs a paint job-someone was color blind as hell!.....a little updating and some glitz and one has a new rig for 1/4 the price of a new one....geofkaye

Camping Dutchman 04-01-2008 07:13 PM

Don't think I would care for those stairs, and the metal strips are more than liley for directing the condensation from the a/c units from going down the sides and creating streaks. Not much outside storage.. Like the duct tape on the tanks to hold the monitors.

Gary Atsma 04-02-2008 05:30 PM

Hey all-

I printed a picture of the rig in question, then took it up to Concept Transporters in Fresno (I live close by...). The business mgr. about gagged upon seeing the paint job. "We did THAT???" was her response. I assured her it was WAAAY back in 1995 or so. It appears they do things more upscale nowadays, or at least they would have one think so....

BravestDog 04-02-2008 07:30 PM

Gary

Did they say anything about the conversion. Like they remember building it, or it was a lemon...?

One positive thing about the color is that with the colors of yellow and orange, it's a good color if you want to avoid being hit by another vehicle. You can see it a long ways away.

geofkaye 04-02-2008 09:55 PM

I still say:....if everything checks out and one had >10 grand to put into a re-due you'd have a top of the line conversion at 1/4 of the price of an new one....all that space would be available for anything one wanted...bathroom is fugly and needs an update[bad]-outside paint of course-carpet or refinish the parquet/maybe area rugs.....replace the couch with a good bed that won't kill your back the next day[foldouts are murder].....day shades are OK but needs some kind of nite curtains....probably needs insulation[spray foam] some rust in side bays-no big deal there, just sand blast and paint/linex-get rid of the tanks or reduce the size-get electric toilet-stack washer/dryer-replace cabinet tops with Formica....not to much work for a 3 week re-due for one person......take duct tape off tanks and use epoxy glue on poly-I think that is the glue of choice IIRC...geofkaye

geofkaye 04-02-2008 09:58 PM

......one more thing....wear sunglasses and a phoney nose till it is done so the neighbors won't attack you with a IED......geofkaye https://www.truckhome.com/infopop/emo.../icon_wink.gif

JimCougar 04-04-2008 02:12 PM

Hi everyone. My name is Jim Kennedy of Kennedy Estate Sales. I am the personal property agent representing the client of this 1995 38' conversion. So feel free to shoot your questions or jibes towards me. I can take it.

When I drove up to Acton, California to photograph this motorhome, I knew the paint job, the stairs and a lack of a bedroom were going to be challenges in selling it for him.

I]"and the metal strips are more than liley for directing the condensation from the a/c units from going down the sides and creating streaks."[/I]

I took quite a few photographs, but if I had known the metal strips on the roof would have been of a concern as well as the possible result of their functionality, I would have taken more pictures up there. There is a gutter that extends over the motorhome for about 1 inch. The condensation falls off from it and it works perfectly as there are water streaks on the sides of the motorhome.

https://www.kennedyestatesales.com/Product-Images/client...ker's_Holiday_10.jpg

replace the couch with a good bed that won't kill your back the next day[foldouts are murder].....

Now I personally hate foldouts because the mattresses are so terrible. The mattress on this couch did not come with it. My client had it custom built so that it would be comfortable for him and his wife. She pulled it out for me as you can see in the photos, and I laid on it. I was surprised as to how comfortable it really did feel to my back. I have more photos (closeups) of the actual mattress, but did not put them in. Maybe I should include them as well.

day shades are OK but needs some kind of nite curtains

All of the windows have both day curtains and night curtains. I will add that to the listing so that it is known.

probably needs insulation[spray foam]

It is fully insulated (spray foam). Because of this only one air conditioner has ever been needed in order to keep it cool inside on the hottest days in Arizona, where they vacation alot.

I actually appreciate your comments as it shows me what your concerns are. Based on them I can add addtional information to address them in the listing.

And believe me, I knew the paint job and the stairs would concern most of you. It is listed at 65k, but I know he would be happy to let it go for 55k. It did sell for 55k, but the customer had trouble getting the financing for it. Its a shame because I think he and his wife really like it. I have a loan consultant who is coming up with every idea she can think of in order for us to assist them in getting the financing.

Any other questions or concerns about the motorhome, feel free to ask. If I don't have the answers, I will get them for you.

HotRodKW 04-04-2008 06:33 PM

It's surly an interesting rig! Some work and it could produce a fairly nice coach. I agree, the paint color is a negative from the start for most. I would be suprised if your buyers could get financed anywhere nowdays. That vintage is a cash out <which is not likely in this economy> or someone holds paper to move it. We've had one on racejunk for a year with no luck due to no one can leverage their home like the good ole days for toy money. Who is the builder "concept" anyway? Good luck!

geofkaye 04-05-2008 12:36 PM

....with some interior work, I could move it as I do the money/financial end also and the market that I have is considerable[just really really weird]....time is the problem and it is located on the other side of the fracking world in Never-Never Land which is 2 negatives to start with......the re-due is a 3 week venture without surprises and paint is about $1400 my cost-[with an opening available in the Mid State's shop.] From your description it seems OK....but, then I know better as with commercial sellers[also real estate agents] there is _ALWAYS_ ALWAYS_a problem. [and I'm Not talking "Buyers Remorse"] I have been a Government surplus buyer and been boned/bunged/banged/and beat on--by the best commercial sellers/auctions/freak shows this nation has to offer commercially. [Levy/L....... comes to mind here] I need to know who built it and how you know it is spray polyisocyanate foam-also-what thickness?...I get a lot of people that think styro /or blue & pink board is a good product to insulate with and think that foam is foam....which is sure isn't....888.513.5293 Rivercity Group will call back asap......should this be permissible-I don't mind doing business out in the open on this forum as others can learn the process.....geofkaye-I don't do secrets or hide anything.....I'm a cash buyer....

JimCougar 04-05-2008 01:19 PM

I just left a message for you Geof. My cell is 818 456-2503. Anyone feel free to call if you want to ask your questions in a more direct manner. I just called my client who told me that the foam is 3 inches thick, but he doesn't know what type of foam. I just left a message with Concept Transporters as they are only open Monday - Friday. I would think they would have records of what type of foam they used back in 1995. I might even be able to get them to pull up their own paper work on my client's vehicle as well.

geofkaye 04-08-2008 09:29 PM

Jim Cougar:.....LMK when you get the info together.....I'll call in late afternoon our time before I head out for work....this new schedule is killing me......I'm having to meet with all 3 shifts for a week or two till things quiet down here....geofkaye

HotRodKW 04-17-2008 07:16 PM

Yikes, I see he added that the "Yellow Beast" has spray foam for insulation on that ebay ad! Our older toyhauler had that crap and damm near burned down due to a minor electrical short from the tail lights in the door grounding out one night. It was like pulling a plane crash down the freeway in a matter of seconds. Burned in the walls half way up a 38' trailer in no time when the FD showed and hacked the wall open to kill it. Never again with that stuff.....

geofkaye 04-17-2008 09:07 PM

.....Ah....some people don't get the fire retardant stuff-any vehicle that is moving will burn like a Christmas tree-because of air flow....IIRC the fire retardant stuff is 16 cents more a pound....so for maybe $300 retail you get a vehicle that meets the building codes anywhere....vehicles and houses are two different things when one considers fire and smoke.....again it is the motion of the vehicle through the air that fans the flames-whether it be bubble wrap or Styrofoam ....or spray polyisocyanate insulation there is going to be a problem....best way of eliminating the problem is put all the wires in plastic or steel conduit....then there is no problem what so ever....same thing applies to home construction put all electric in conduit and one eliminates problems......new houses burn better th an older housed even though the wood developed pyrisus[sp].....geofkaye