Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community > Truck Conversion Talk > You Gotta See This!
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-05-2006, 10:15 PM   #21

......I know the Cummins service guys like the tilt cab unites in the vocational lines-usually garbage trucks here-if they are steam cleaned before they are brought into the shop....standard proceedure here-before the truck is excepted-it must be steam cleaned or they call the owner and say haul it back and clean it......seems the tilt cab requires less "leaning into" the engine area....anotherwords they don't have as much back pain at the end of the day from leaning or pain in general because they fell off the truck engine when servicing the engine or anything under the hood.....something very positive to be said about the tilting design.....I think the real issue is when something[CB radio] isn't tied down well enough and goes through/into the windshield and cracks/knocks it out on to the floor....[after all it is an "emergency escape exit" of sorts to the fire departments].....I'd hate to have to up-end a unite on the side of the highway for any kind of service......I know you can check the fluids etc. from the sides and wheel wells.....Oil changes are from under and filters are down low.....our new fire pumper requires one to take out the interior seats and engine console to work on engine-which will never be done after warranty runs out as they just buy a new one at $750,000 per pop.....geofkaye

Old 03-06-2006, 12:18 PM   #22

Bill, I think it might be the Actros over there, just by looking at the specs and pics. I never actually looked at the name plate when one drove by me. Actros is their most heavy duty one with up to 40 tons, (88,000 lbs).

Of course we would have to go for the special edition "Black Edition", as per their page the strongest truck V8 in Europe, 15.9 l, 612 HP, 2060 lbf torque (if I converted correctly) black on black, nice body moldings.....

Now thats a machine for chevy57 to get started at.

WalliK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:21 PM   #23

Ah, thats childs play compaired to the 660hp Volvo! (I think the defining point might be the V8 i the the volvo may be a V10).
EdMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:51 PM   #24

....who the heck wants a V-8 Diesel?......and why-there is no benefit that I have hurd of.....geofkaye
Old 03-07-2006, 05:50 AM   #25

Lighter...smaller. Important in Europe.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:27 PM   #26

....remember the V-8 GM diesel?....forgetaboutit!....they made better boat ankors/artificial reefs than engines....6.2 and the 6.5....and the best part is: some people actually bought those POS even when they know what to expect maintenance wise....give me a Cummins any day.....I saw somewhere that a guy in TEXAS even traded out his V-8 Diesel for a Cummins in a Hummer[yellow I believe].....now here comes the DuraMax group.....geofkaye