Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-14-2005, 05:47 PM   #1

I was sent this photo's from I beleive the owner or from someone with from Scania.

It is a 2005 Norwegian Scania P340 6x2 with Oakley conversioin for living and horse-transport.

Now don't get me wrong I love my conversion, but it is a box on a semi.

What these guys are doing is pure art! I love how seamless they integrated this conversion. And the interior is incredible.

I also love this truck. If these guys where in the U.S. I would be checking out one of these rigs in a minute.

You can check out more photos in the gallery

Old 12-14-2005, 06:13 PM   #2

I agree, it is actually waaaay ahead of most of the offerings in NA.
Rick

PSD_Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:04 PM   #3

While cab over production has almost ceased in the US, it is the only viable means in Europe. European truck makers have made great strides in airodynamics as well as power train, ride, etc. of course. Those "ponies" are riding in comfort!
QRTRHRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:29 PM   #4

Lessee....... lose one of the rear axles and some overall footage, and I think I would keep it......
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:52 PM   #5

......don't miss understand me -I love animals-.....but I don't want to live that close to horses 'specially down wind.....If I woke up in the AM and smelled fresh horse sh*t I'd puke in my bed.....there is just a few things I can't handle in my old age....one being the fresh smell of horse sh*t.....The smell of a rotton human body is another-I buy VICKS by the BOX! and I still get woosey at times.......geofkaye
Old 12-14-2005, 10:03 PM   #6

....another thing I have found about horses.....for whatever reason they sometimes just kick their stalls and chew all the wood within reach......"not in my coach you hay burner...BOOM!!!] horse meat is in dog food isn't it?.....Here MAXX.... I got some real meat for you instead of dry dog food and water".........geofkaye
Old 12-15-2005, 05:06 AM   #7

Geof tell us what you really think, and don't hold back.

I live in Amish country so it doesn't bother me. I am sure a horse lover may say the same thing about that hound dog of yours.

Anyway, I would not need a horse toter myself, but finish off the back side with the remainder of the motorhome and I am loven life.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:21 AM   #8

And I live near Los Angeles in Norco - slogan: Horsetown USA - with 2 dogs and most my neighbors have horses (and 1 camel in town) besides boats, 5ers, trailers... so what am I to say?

Anyway, that Scania looks like a truck to me, not a bus. Strange though as most tractors on Europe are only 1 axle, not twins. Also, looking close it looks as the whole cab, including the bunk over it, might tilt forward.

Have to ask my familiy back home (Austria) if they ever seen something like this on the road.
WalliK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:51 AM   #9

That is a nice one. I've seen one or two trucks almost in the same catigory, but never as nicely done as this one (and lots like the Ford Cargo conversion on the other thread). I'd definatly like to make/buy something like this as warpath described. Certainly would put the guys in second hand 3 1/2 ton C class motorhomes (£30000/$55000 worth) to shame...especially the ones that have had to add a second axel to cope with the weight. I'd say to them 'now if that works so well, why don't all the commersial vans do it?' :P
EdMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:59 AM   #10

Now this one is especially for Geof, take your pick from any of these conversions... from so-so cool to ugly to downright disgusting.

http://www.horsequest.co.uk/TransportHorseboxes.htm

Those ones are a bit better.
http://www.warrenclarkesporthorses.com/horseboxes.html

I think nr 2,14 and 15 look cool.

the pic that warpath showed us.. reading Scanias webpage (and im too lazy to convert from german to english) the model P is their regional and local truck (Freightliner M2?) and the 340 is for the 340HP engine, 11 or 12 liter!!

some pics from the Scania webpage here (I got way too much time on my hands, better go back to work)
http://www.scania.de/About_Scania/im...er_baureihe-p/
Old 03-04-2006, 09:10 PM   #11

Dang it! I've been looking in the wrong forum! I know some of you guys have heard me talking about COE conversions and wondering how they integrate the COE cab and still let it tilt forward. Now all I got to do is find someone who can make me an English horse lorrie!
Chevy57PkUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:55 PM   #12

Ok Chevy, how do we get one (or 2) of these imported? Take a look at these Lehel

I WANT one of these!!! They say the "big" one can sleep 6 and still have room for 9 horses. So I figure, keep the living area and I'll fill teh horse ara with the toys!! I wonder waht one of these goes for? And who do we contact about getting one built? Or just getting the chassis/box mating info so we can build on an Argosy?
Old 03-04-2006, 10:27 PM   #13

.....Bill...are you sure your wife is going to travel around the country in a "horsebox"....[sounds like a gyno term of some sort]....I live next to Indian Hill, Ohio where the major players in the area live amongst Old Oak Trees-Daisey fields-and Fox Hunting......believe me there are NO "Horseboxes" to be had around here or these people would have a fleet at the tailgate parties....it is bad enough to have a Mercedes with wine and cheese in the trunk with a butler serving on silverware....Most of these people have commercial haulers do the moving as there is an insurance issues with moving your own "horsemeat" around.....the hauler is usually Sallee out of Ky....they are contract haulers for horses.....geofkaye
Old 03-05-2006, 05:29 AM   #14

Kaye - no problem there. Anyway, the HORSES label on the front is just vinyl graphics anyway.

I sent an email to one of the companies asking how they did what they did. They replied this morning. Basically they rigid mount the cab to the frame. They then remove the seats and cut the floor open to create a huge "bonnet". They hinge this and replace the seats. Then they build the body. They claim that the mechanics actually like to work on them this way vs the flip cab. Also, the engines they have are damn near bulletproof. They are also built to be hauling 3-6 times the amount of weight they do when in a horse lorrie, similar to our conversions so the likelyhood of needing to gain full engine access is probably slim. I could see doing this but also creating a smaller access to check the oil and such.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:59 AM   #15

I wonder how hard it would be to mount the cab to slide out rails (per Kaye) and then use an inflatable seal like those used by Newell Coach and the airlines for their doors. We could make it on a contact switch so that when the cab is released it automatically deflates and then once the cab gets locked back in place, it inflates the seal to seal off the cab again. Obviously you would not want to do this when it is raining or snowing outside!

You know what, this may just work afterall. The one thing the European trucks have over the Argosy is that they have a lower bumper height requirement and the cabs sit a bit lower which leaves more room for the upper bunk and lowers the COG.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:45 PM   #16

Bill... interesting what they told you in the email as on their webpage they say: "Our tilting cab system comes as standard at no extra cost. "

Guess they have different ways.

Also they mention they built on Mercedes and MAN chassis, but the pics show Scania and DAF (the smaller one). So I guess they built on anything.

I thought the Argosy here in the states is the same as in Europe. Did not know there were differences between them. I think its Mercedes's bestselling truck over there, from what I could see on the freeways on my last visit.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:23 PM   #17

Hey 57p-up.

Why are Over Engineering this whole thing????
Do I have to send you those prints again,You could have had the friggin thing built by now.
Well then again I forgot that you are on the
wrong coast and everything on your side is still
goin in slow motion from the Brown Acid & Residual Smoke still lingering in the air.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:39 PM   #18

From speaking to some family members alot of the cabover (with lutton areas) removal trucks don't allow the cab to tilt while the body is in place. All the regular maintenance can be done from the access areas and some more complicated items from underneath (I know kaye's not going to like that idea!). However something major like an engine swap requires the body to be lifted.

With a newish or fully overhauled (by someone you trust!) engine and some thought into making the body easily removable I wouldn't have a problem with this (as someone pointed out the milage and weight in this configuration is peanuts compaired to commercial service).

What do you think?
EdMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally posted by WalliK:
Bill... interesting what they told you in the email as on their webpage they say: "Our tilting cab system comes as standard at no extra cost. "

Guess they have different ways.

Also they mention they built on Mercedes and MAN chassis, but the pics show Scania and DAF (the smaller one). So I guess they built on anything.

I thought the Argosy here in the states is the same as in Europe. Did not know there were differences between them. I think its Mercedes's bestselling truck over there, from what I could see on the freeways on my last visit.
I had actually emailed several of the coach companies in the UK that buile these. The one that has replied, it was a Sat night afterall, gave me the info I posted. I have now looked at 12-13 of these horse lorry companies. They range from the very basic to the very extravagant. Some of them even say that they have shipped truck to the US. I am trying to get ahold of these companies to see how the import was handled.

All European vehicles have slightly different bumper heights and some other specs than their US brothers/sisters. You may be right about the Argosy...do you know which model it is in the MB European lineup?

Marc,

Can you send me the plans you are referring to? I would be very interested in seeing them.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:49 PM   #20

Hey Bill, Send me your email address, I cannot seem to upload anything to this site. I think I may not be doing it right.

mcharley02@yahoo.com