Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-11-2003, 09:18 PM   #1

Dear..Everyone, (meaning warpath!)

Hey, I recognize and respect your labor of love, that is, all the posts, pics and whatnot...

Seek to build my own one-off, spare you the details.

Summarizing below, seek the raw materials to build a hauler exterior. Have sought extensively via Google, but each of the few people I contact apparently think I have a pile of money to throw away- I do not.

Can ya help a fellow... auto-preneur?

Specifics below:

Need, used, new, blems, etc (price is a factor) so as to create a complete exterior shell.

This home/Hauler requires:

A) (2) FRP or similar panels, about 5/8 to 3/4 inch, 8 feet by 23 feet.

B) (2) FRP to match above, 8 feet by at least 4 feet.

c) (4) corner caps, two left, two right, OR
(2) front caps, one for upper, one lower. (cabover or "mom's attic" necessitates)

d) (2) roof rails, 23 feet

e) two roof rails, about 5-8 feet each.

Each time I try to purchase, the sellers treat my request as a purchase of a trailer (oh, duh, I cant figure out how to do it any other way, sir) {the online sellers want to take ""half off"" (of $20 thousand or something) for not needing flatbed, frame, door, axles, registration, etc.

On another note: I welcome all people I meet to be as polite but pushy as possible in business- seems like these days everything is like the supermarket "gallon of milk"- de vitaminized, de oiled, re injected cup and a half of milk that sits complacently in a gallon of water, on sale today for Whoa! only five bucks! And guess what, one percent milk (a half cup of milk in gallon jug of water) is only just $5.25

Sincere Salutations.

It is...Notabus
Old 12-12-2003, 08:34 AM   #2

Hi Notabus (cool moniker):

Just a thought (and maybe you're already tried this route)... It sounds like the stuff you need are all components that Kibbi/Renegade use in their conversions. Perhaps a call or email to the sales folks at Kibbi with an explanation that you don't want them to do the work but you'd like to buy raw components from them or from their suppliers might pan out.

I believe that they manufacture their own FRP panels and it makes sense (to this naive individual) that they could fabricate and sell you the stuff without scalping you in the process.

Regards,
Alan

DrFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 05:21 PM   #3

Actually, Crane CorTec manufacturered the FRP panels for Renegade at least as of a year ago. Fiber-Tech Industries purchased CorTec in March, so I am assuming they still produce the product probably under Fiber-Tech's name now.

Here is their website: http://www.fiber-tech.com/frptruck.htm

The problem you will find with building a one off is getting good pricing on your components. Since you will be buying in very low volume most mfg'ers will not sell to you and distributors will charge you much more due to the onezy towzy quantities.

I went through this exercise about a year ago and found that the difference between what I could build a one off for, what a conversion company could build it for and the big hit I was going to take in resale value, made it clear how to procede for me. The other huge factor was time, I judged that by some of the bus conversion guys which where taking 1 1/2 to 2 years to complete a conversion and that was with help.

Keep us posted, I know a few guys have checked in here and are in the process of building rigs on their own. I am hoping they check back in with their progress.

Here are some sites that may help you find some of the items you are looking for;

http://trailer-bodybuilders.com
http://www.lupers.com/
http://www.ertrailer.com/

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 06:03 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>On another note: I welcome all people I meet to be as polite but pushy as possible in business- seems like these days everything is like the supermarket "gallon of milk"- de vitaminized, de oiled, re injected cup and a half of milk that sits complacently in a gallon of water, on sale today for Whoa! only five bucks! And guess what, one percent milk (a half cup of milk in gallon jug of water) is only just $5.25
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Notabus-
You might look for a freight box with FRP construction in a size very close to what you desire, then out fit it in the manner that suits you. Used freight boxes are very inexpensive, and are available in all manner of condition, shape, and size. This approach should save you a wad of green stuff.
BTW- Please refrain from using dairy products as an example of adulterated products. What you stated above is not true, and unless you actually know first-hand(I do) how milk is processed, I would avoid picking on the American dairy farmer. They're having a rough enough time nowdays without any outside help.
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 08:47 PM   #5

Have at them Gary!...How soon they forget!..in the 1930-1940's 50% of the population of this country were farmers feeding the other 50% of this country....today only 2% of the population are farmers feeding the other 98% of the population and a hell of a lot rest the world....see what happens when you get really good a what you do!....God bless the farmers in America. geof
geof is offline   Reply With Quote