Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-17-2015, 10:02 PM   #1

Default Working the dash

Well , like I had said before how would a long haul guy put things handy????
I have started with the Lighter and cut it out, and here is a picture of it and the wood I have made up to fit in the spot. I put a usb hub I had in the top to charge and run things if I need too. And I have an inverter to power the hub and two outlets. I made the connections to the inverter easy to replace, just plug in, I did move the switch to the new panel to power it on or off as needed. And it is hot wired to the fuse panel with 12 gauge wire. So next on the list is the drink holders, and where to place the phones while driving and charging.

Sam
Attached Images

2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:35 AM   #2

Looks nice. For some reason I can't seem to get the pictures any bigger so my old eyes don't show me enough. Oh well. Look into those Ram X-grip mounts. I like mine. The only negative is it takes two hands to remove/replace the phone. So for a moment I have to steer with my knee. The mesh bag thing works good for my wife's phone on her side. I like the Ram because I use the phone to navigate so need to have the screen positioned for viewing. I sometimes use a bluetooth so I don't have to remove the phone to use it. But my bluetooth is broken now so I've gotta buy another one one of these days. My son (the truck driver) uses a Blue Parrot 250 bluetooth that he likes. Too expensive for me though.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:53 AM   #3

been there done that....MANY times....

I cant STAND wires draped all over the dash....ive got USB wires, 12v power & sockets run all over the place (behind the dash).

I haven't really found the need to put an INVERTER up front (I've got an outlet just behind the passenger seat that is tied to the inverter, but honestly I've never used it for anything while driving.

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:26 AM   #4

for the phone i WAS using a suction cup mount on the drivers wing/vent window - kept it close...and i used a usb extension cord - hidden at the dash where it meets the windshield/door frame.

I upgraded last year to an iPhone 6 plus (bigger screen) and the window/door mount proved too much vibration....so I've switched to a PRO-CLIPS mount - they make a mount for our trucks.

I use their "drop-in" carrier that already has the cabled in the holder....i like it because its a one step motion - drop the phone in & its instantly connected, no cable to deal with....they make several different adapters for other phones too.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:02 AM   #5

Your mess is as bad as mine, the reason for the inverter is to power the usb hub and I charge my camera batteries going down the road if I need too, I can plug in a phone charger too, run a laptop all day plugged in. I just thought while I was at it, might as well!

Sure you have enough remotes?? To me more the better!!!

Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
been there done that....MANY times....

I cant STAND wires draped all over the dash....ive got USB wires, 12v power & sockets run all over the place (behind the dash).

I haven't really found the need to put an INVERTER up front (I've got an outlet just behind the passenger seat that is tied to the inverter, but honestly I've never used it for anything while driving.

2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
Old 09-18-2015, 11:06 AM   #6

I push my images out small so they will fit on this forum I will make the new one bigger and see it that helps.

Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
Looks nice. For some reason I can't seem to get the pictures any bigger so my old eyes don't show me enough. Oh well. Look into those Ram X-grip mounts. I like mine. The only negative is it takes two hands to remove/replace the phone. So for a moment I have to steer with my knee. The mesh bag thing works good for my wife's phone on her side. I like the Ram because I use the phone to navigate so need to have the screen positioned for viewing. I sometimes use a bluetooth so I don't have to remove the phone to use it. But my bluetooth is broken now so I've gotta buy another one one of these days. My son (the truck driver) uses a Blue Parrot 250 bluetooth that he likes. Too expensive for me though.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:06 AM   #7

I wish I had more plugs in the overhead console. I only have one right now. I use it for my phone. But I also run a dash cam stuck to the windshield so I have that plugged into a socket down on the dash. I have one of those three to one cigarette lighter adapters stuck to the dash. I should put about 3 more cigarette sockets up in the overhead console. That would be nice.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #8

I have 3 go pro type cameras that I thought I could use one of them and record, but I don't know how it will work after the card fills up, start over? I
don't want to fiddle with it while I am driving. Got any ideals?
I don't have any plugs up there yet.... I did on my other RV.

Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
I wish I had more plugs in the overhead console. I only have one right now. I use it for my phone. But I also run a dash cam stuck to the windshield so I have that plugged into a socket down on the dash. I have one of those three to one cigarette lighter adapters stuck to the dash. I should put about 3 more cigarette sockets up in the overhead console. That would be nice.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:27 AM   #9

I'm not sure if GoPro would work. I don't know enough about them. I use a G1W-C dash cam. Bought it off ebay. It just keeps recording all the time. I have it set for 3 minute files. If I see something I want to save and recover I just make a note of the time and when I get to a computer I plug the camera in and go to that time mark and save the file to my computer. So far I haven't needed it for anything important. But it's nice to know it's there. Also has the screen on the back so if somebody does cause the accident in front of me I can play it back right there for the cop.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:22 PM   #10

re: go pro - the default settings are to stop recording when the card is full
theres a setting that will allow the go pro to loop back and overwrite if the card is full.

i have run HOT (12vdc) from the over head (where the CB connections are, down the windshield (center pillar, to hide it) for my GPS.

in this picture you can just barely see the GPS cord down the right side of windshield center post...again NO wires visible on my dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcrimm View Post
I have 3 go pro type cameras that I thought I could use one of them and record, but I don't know how it will work after the card fills up, start over? I don't want to fiddle with it while I am driving. Got any ideals?
I don't have any plugs up there yet.... I did on my other RV.

Sam
Old 09-18-2015, 04:55 PM   #11

Where do you put your phone Don?
Old 09-18-2015, 05:08 PM   #12

the iPhone 6plus drops into this carrier - and plugs in (w/out having to touch the cable)

the mount/holder is right next to the a/c vent in this picture --->

Old 09-18-2015, 05:10 PM   #13

I was at the coach / storage today & snapped some pics of the dash etc.

this is the GARMIN GPS that is suction cupped to the windshield - power comes from the overhead (where the CB is) and the power cord is hidden down the center of the windshield.

i also have a small (baby in the back seat) mirror on the windshield - it allows me to see back into the coach, so when my wife or someone is back there i know theyre alright (haven't fallen down etc).

Old 09-18-2015, 05:36 PM   #14

Aaaahhhhh, nice phone mount. Except I refuse to buy an apple since they won't agree to use the universal micro usb charge plug that all the other phone makers agreed to. That pisses me off. And to make it worse they change their charger plugs every once in awhile just to force you to buy a bunch of chargers when you get a new phone.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:57 PM   #15

Proclips makes mounts for phones other than the Apple crap.

I resisted the HELL outta the iPhone (until this 6p)....i just cant fight it (for work) anymore.

as for the connections - all my car audio headings have USB ports on the back....i was getting tired of phones changing their connection type so now i just run a USB extension cable from the back of the head unit to somewhere i can get to (hidden) and then plug the appropriate cable into that extension cable.

I have USB extension cables on the passenger side & the drivers side - wife can plug in & charge her phone or we can source the music (spotify or pandora) from either of our phones w/ out cables all over the damn place.