Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-12-2005, 05:25 PM   #1
D R

I have been thinking for years about geting a Penski C6500 with a 25' frp box and builing it into a motorhome, We were looking at a class C motorhome but can not carry the weight or tow the toys and a class A is not much beter.

What do you think ? any one try this yet ? any one use a frp box and do you have pictures ?

Thank You, and this is a great site. Chuck.

D R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 06:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally posted by D R:
I have been thinking for years about geting a Penski C6500 with a 25' frp box and builing it into a motorhome, We were looking at a class C motorhome but can not carry the weight or tow the toys and a class A is not much beter.

What do you think ? any one try this yet ? any one use a frp box and do you have pictures ?

Thank You, and this is a great site. Chuck.
Chuck
we did a (ex penske lease) international 4900. check our website for pics : http://sandcentral.net/trucks/
would not do it again; you can get a class 7/8 for the same money, that is the same outside size, makes the same mpg, but has 2x the hp and 3x the torque.... with a cab and a suspension that are designed for 8+ h a day driver comfort.
IMHO MDT`s (class 6) are designed for city delivery .....and it shows
with a class 7/8 you also get a Jake engine brake; makes towing a fun, safe and relaxing experience!!! (nothing is better then arriving at the bottom of a grade with cold service brakes that are ready for anything unexpected)
i recomend you to skip the expensive MDT mistake and go for a real truck from the start

-in the shop: Pete "38
spooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:34 PM   #3

......I completely agree with V8Rail.....for $50k you are going to be Highline- others may not appreciates your investment.... as others are spending BIG money to get the same results.....some toters/haulers are $80k for just a glorified city truck[my roll-off wrecker is a-C 6500- with a different body on the frame-NEW- delivered w/body $42k out the door] If you want to bring it up a rental to specs you are going to have to replace the stick transmisssion and clutch unless it is an automatic......rentals are beat to crap by city drivers making $9.00- $12.00 an hour-many don't even speak English.....geofkaye
Old 09-12-2005, 09:45 PM   #4
D R

The one that I am looking at is a 2001 C6500 with a 25' box 8.1 fuel injected big block with Alison tranny for $13,500.00 with a 36 month 45,000 mile warranty. 108,000 mi. on it.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by D R:
The one that I am looking at is a 2001 C6500 with a 25' box 8.1 fuel injected big block with Alison tranny for $13,500.00 with a 36 month 45,000 mile warranty. 108,000 mi. on it.
price is not bad and warranty sounds fine ...

but

8.1 l gas engine. I hope you drive only in flat area and 55 mph max. that poor little engine will scream OTR. What is the fuel milage they make ?
V8Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:23 AM   #6
D R

Im looking to build a rig + or - 32' and tow a trailer no more than 6,000lbs.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:56 AM   #7

Been there & done that what a mistake I made !
mpgs will be worse than a well powered class 8 !
service will be much more $$$$ than a class 8
comfort and handeling not even close to an 8
resale bad
and fun factor low
I will bet that a good class 8 with a million miles on will still outlast a class 6 with 100k miles on it by 2-3 times
this is just my opinion , based on having gone trough this already with a gmc 7500 (cat powered)
good luck tony
fastlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:36 AM   #8

tony,

I agree 100%. I did the same mistake with a International 4900...

D R

the International I had was about that, 34 feet long and towing about 4000 to 5000 lbs trailer. In California it was kinda ok. keeping it below 60 mph gave me a not too bad milage and you could still talk in the cab ... running 65mph was loud, 69mph was rev limiter at 2600 rpms.

towing in the flats was ok, hills 35mph up a 6% grade loaded light. the 11 mile grade out of laughlin was endless going up heavy. It took me one time 30 minutes

and the international had a high torque (675 lbsft) DT466, not very usual in Penske trucks (but the truck was also red not yellow )

how much torque has the 8.1l ?

Thomas
V8Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 05:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by fastlap:
mpgs will be worse than a well powered class 8 !
service will be much more $$$$ than a class 8
comfort and handeling not even close to an 8
resale bad
and fun factor low
I will bet that a good class 8 with a million miles on will still outlast a class 6 with 100k miles on it by 2-3 times
My thoughts EXACTLY!
Once in a while I find myself looking at what might be a "good deal" on a MD truck for my future rig, then realize that for the same, or LESS, money I could get a Class 8 with ALL the above-mentioned advantages. What a reality check! It ALWAYS comes back to the obvious choice: CLASS 8!
I will now humbly (well, sort of) climb off my rickety soap box and shut up. For a while.....

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote