Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-10-2018, 07:54 PM   #1

Default What to polish with?

Looking to polish my renegade siding. What is recommended and works? I'm tired of everytime someone touches it with dirty hands it leaves a print. A friend had his professionally detailed and he told me they used a sealer because his finish was so far gone? I'm hoping to use a buffer and get my shine back. I don't mind the work. He told me what his cost and it looks awesome, but I don't wat to spend that kind of money if I can do it myself.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #2

Thanks for the follow up post on your front tire purchase. I myself now have to find 8 new drives in the next 10 weeks hopefully Michelin. starts up production on the XZE soon.
To answer your current question I myself use blackfirewax.com,75chromeshop.com collinite.com and aerospace 303 products.
Im not gonna tell ya how to use em cause everyone has their own methods and im no expert.
I wash then compound and so on.....
I will tell ya my rig spends 4-6 months in FL. and the sun just beats the heck out of it and these products always bring back the like new appearance very happy with em.

Sloppy joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:41 PM   #3

75 chrome shop is a cool place! We went there in 2007 for a truck pull for trucks gone wild. Good people there at the chrome shop. I will check out their website. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2018, 08:51 PM   #4

Starting polishing today, actually using compound. The pass side had some grey spots that would not wipe off at all, like they were soaked in. After some buffing with some compound they came off, but it was a lot of work.

In the pic you can see the bottom looks shiny, still have to go over some more with a finer polish, then wax. I am trying to decide to just wax or try the floor polish that a lot of people are using. A friend has his toter done and it looks really good and I like the smooth finish, and the idea it seals off the siding. Any ideas or thoughts on this?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 04-13-2018, 09:55 AM   #5

Default ZEP Wet Look Floor Polish?

If you're talking about using the ZEP Wet Look Floor Polish, I just want to mention that I did it and I'm not 100% impressed with the results. I'd like to try some more traditional polish next time. It's true...ZEP wasn't too bad, but I've had some places where it has started to flake off – which then looks terrible. It may be because my finish was so far gone, I was in a hurry, or I did too many coats. (I did 10 coats on the front cap and eight everywhere else I think)

I'll probably try ZEP again, but only after I try some other things first.
danbru1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:37 PM   #6

Looking good there, looks like night and day.
Heck ya its alotta work but the process is well worth the end result.
The work you've done so far already shows a reflection.
I hope while your doing the outside someone's doing the inside.....
Old 04-17-2018, 07:45 PM   #7

I inquired about polishing the Renegade last year, Woody send me a care guide from Fiber-Tech. Apparently, these are the folks that make the gel coated panels for Renegade.

The Fiber-tech document recommends only waxes intended for fiberglass finishes "such as Meguiars Carnuba Cleaner Wax, Boat Armor Paste - Boat Wax, and Meguiars Mirror Glaze."
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:09 PM   #8

I wonder if those documents are on the web anywhere? I'd like to look over them and see exactly what they recommend. I don't think my renegade was ever waxed after it was new, lots of oxidation, I can't believe the difference! Hopefully it will be easier to maintain after all this. I keep it inside a garage so that should help.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:16 AM   #9

This is the complete document that Woody sent to me.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf fiberglass care.PDF (73.7 KB, 13 views)
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:44 PM   #10

Thanks for posting that! It's basically what I saw in my owners manual. I was hoping for some more info, but this will work. I plan on using meguiars wax after buffing out the oxidation. I will post pics when done!
Old 04-18-2018, 10:53 PM   #11

Meguiars marine wax excellent against uv rays.
Attached Thumbnails
20180418_224848.jpg