Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-03-2006, 06:18 AM   #1

I have been lurking for a while. My wife and I are interested in garage coaches. We are currently in socal and we are going to be heading up the west coast an into Ak. as the weather warms. Can anyone point me towards some conversion dealers up the coast. We would like to see as many different mfgs as possible.

We are looking for something in the 40 foot range with a 15 foot garage with room for our mini cooper 1 quad and a requirement for a dedicated queen bed. I have some thoughts of having the bedroom overlapping into the garage but using the upper portion of the garage, kind of like a slide in camper overhang. The mini is low enough that it should fit under the bedroom area. I was thinking that a lift could be built in the rear of the garage to lift the quad up before the mini was pulled in.

I realize this will be a custom setup and most likely won't see any models exactly like this but seeing as many as possible will give me all sorts of ideas when it is time to build.

Thanks
Jim

jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:00 PM   #2

.....not that much of a problem....except for the gasoline and oil smells....from the equipment in the garage or over filling of a gas tank or sloshing of gasoline....you could get ued to it, I guess....OTOH if you build a conventional setup there is a solid barrier between the fore and aft areas that can be made vapor proof/odor proof.....always ventulate the garage area constantly-wether by movement or power venting.....and use an absorbant material under the vehicle.....avoid aluminum tread plate floors as they are slicker than snot if you get one little drop of oil on the tread plate and you will go on your back side/neck /sholder.....treadplate or not!....if possible use an impurvious material for the floor and a carpet to cover it so it can be cleaned or hosed off-or thrown away.....geofkaye

Old 03-03-2006, 10:14 PM   #3

I planned on a solid barrier between the overhanging bedroom and the garage. No way do I want to smell fuel and or oil, Its bad enough I have to smell myself at times! This will be a fulltiming rig and not just a weekend warrior type setup.

Jim
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:45 PM   #4

....In that case- I'd rethink your plan some......I haven't been in a toy hauler/coach that doesn't have the smell of fuel/oil....in my carhauler I go to extreems to pervent the smell of fuel....so far so good...but it is a bitch to keep it from smelling like fuel/ oil.....I unload and load by winch or just lift the front end up and do a roll out.....I have absorbant mats and I ventulate and ventulate some more.....hang out with some race guys/dune runners/weekend jeepers before you get into the idea too far.....Just a suggestion of course.....also I never sleep inside with a vehicle also inside.....it's a thing about fire that makes me nervous....geofkaye
Old 03-03-2006, 10:50 PM   #5

....BTW if you do have a floor spill[4 oz.] you have to cut the wood out and replace it....unless you have an adequate barrier of some sort....remember fuel runs very will over a floor because it is so thin and you have to have an absorbant pad to keep it from sloshing around...lot of toy haulers stink of fuel all the time......geofkaye
Old 03-04-2006, 07:27 PM   #6

I had a garage coach and I carried a Mini Cooper, a 427 Cobra, Jeep Wrangler, Porsche 911 race car and a Porsche 996. One at a time. I never once had any smell of gas or any odors in the coach. I had the bed (real queen size)over the hood of the car.
I also had a lift to put the car in.
Send me a Private Message and I will tell you about a project in the works that has everything you would need, Mini, Atv, Queen bed,..

Racerx is offline   Reply With Quote