Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-14-2006, 07:24 PM   #1

This rig was on ebay a ways back and it appears that it sold for $169, a 2004 Sterling Road Master, 8k miles shown here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4602597559

The ad says the rig cost $380k.

Is $380k a realistic or overinflated price?

How would you estimate where the $380k was spent to build it...?

ie cost of truck, cost to stretch the frame, install the levelers, build the box...where did the money go to...?

anyone want to give their opinions?

Thankyou.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:55 PM   #2

Bravestdog, Check out the post I just did on the 1979 Bison. This one was a deal if you compare. In my backwoods way of thinking anyway.

Old 02-14-2006, 11:39 PM   #3

.......someone got the the hoseing of his life.....whomever sold him that coach- at that price should be gold plated and put on a Granite Rock in a park somewhere.....alive. geofkaye
Old 02-15-2006, 04:05 AM   #4

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Blue</span>
Hey kaye.I cannont claim to know about the conversions interor quality,Structure,Really
can't see much in the pic. But are you refering to the seller that spent 380K on it???? I agree
on him getting a lot more then hosed.(more like8" irrigation piped) But @ 170k if it is what it is you think the guy that bought it got a little too??? Hell the five RV/Trailer
/Motorhome places within a 20 mile radius of here are selling gas job middle of the road NEW ones for that. And they are sh*t when they come out of Elkhart. They are dry & bare within 1000lbs. of the GVW.Let alone the mass produced low line junk they put in them. Even with these so called crappy"COACH FRAMES" from the chassis mfg. They are not a real a truck. I don't know maybe I'm missing something in"MY BACKWOODS KINDA THINKIN" I been around Trucks pretty much since they found me being raised in the Forest by a family of O'Pussums. A Brand New Virgin Tandem C&C from any of the top four with all the right specs.& goodies is gonna cost 90-100K. So if you would be so kind as to splain it to me,I value & enjoy very much learning all I can. I take pride in learning & understanding at least One new thing everydy.Hell,the only things the O'Pussems taught me was how to stay out all night,run with a bad crowd and eat out of trash cans.They also did introduce me to all the nice female O'Pussums in the Trailer Park Trash Dumpsters though.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:16 AM   #5

I have seen alot less for alot more than the $380
But
I have not seen alot more for less than the $169

If this is a High quality piece? it could be $400k
easy ! I speced out a $750k unit that wasn't any bigger !

I am not saying it was worth it none of them are
(they should all be free)

I was in a bus conversion this summer (cousin's)
it was 2.4 million & I like the way this truck looks better !
IT's all just price of addmission to life !
Hell I sell lawn mowers that are $130,000.00
they aint worth it either but if you don't pay the price for one then you will go trough life without having one ! t
fastlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:42 AM   #6

I agree you get a hell of alot compared to a traditional motorhome as far structure, stability, strong construction.

But you get a hell of alot less when it comes to convenience electronics, styling and creature comforts.

Conversion companies still do not get that part of the biz.

Didn't Road Master make their box out of solid aluminum, similar to the sleeper manufacturers? Wouldn't that cost alot more in materials and construction? $380,000 seems extreme, but I would figure it would cost more to build that way.

I always like the way the Road Master box looked.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:43 AM   #7

So Warpath, I just want to make sure we are on the same page here.
On a Class 8 Conversion.
This is just the start as if it was a buildings Footing & Fondation the rest can be in a later
discussion hopefully.

#1) Truck chassis length and adjustment as
needed.?

#2)Contruction of 2"x 2" ? steel tubing skeleton/frame/floor/subfloor.?

#3)Insulation,Roofing & Siding.?

So in a "PERFECT WORLD" Class 8,Have that completed. And later use nothing but 1ST CLASS
HIGH END Home furnishings as in. Bathroom,All Cabnits,Kitchen Appliances,All Entertainment &
Electronics,HAVC System,Furniture & Bedding.

Maybe as a group a common worded universial meaning of all stages could be put together when it is being reffered to we could all speak the same language. Just Thinking outloud here.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:36 PM   #8
Joe

I just finished a two year project building a KW toterhome and submitted our as-built plans and a list of all parts used to the dot for licensing and was shocked when the bookkeeper gave me a two inch stack of parts bills that amounted to 72,000. No wonder i was feeling rather poor these last few years! $380K is apparently what he paid. Was he stupid? Well, how smart was he for selling it brand new for about half price? Either way he is either a liar or stupid, the only middle ground being he may be both.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 05:39 PM   #9

Hey Joe, So you spent a total of 72K on everything?? Or just the living space?
Old 02-15-2006, 06:46 PM   #10
Joe

Marc, I posted four pics of our toter under 'buckley project', 72 was the total minus truck and labor. joe
Old 02-16-2006, 02:07 PM   #11

Hey Joe Again, I searched and could not find them. If it's easy for you,Can you email them to me? Thanks,Marc

mcharley02@yahoo.com
Old 02-17-2006, 12:37 AM   #12

......I sure didn't spend even 50K, but I don't full time, and I don't want any electronics.....of any sort!.....-I read when I'm on vacation.....kinda a lost art....but I read novels and magazines!....and even the newspaper!.....which I don't have time to do anymore......my main expenses were electric generation and foam insulation and electric toilet/gray water system....everything else is a second priorty....all my stuff is household models from Home Depot or Walmart so they are kinda throw aways if they cause me problems on the road....everything can be removed and remodeled/moved around if I change interests.... except the shower and toilet.....geofkaye
Old 02-17-2006, 08:21 AM   #13

Hey Joe, (Sorry I address you that way but its a Jimi Hendrix thing)

I don't know how it happend but the pics appeared,(I think Geoff & Maxx had to work some Buckeye Magic) Looks real nice, Is the KW a T-400 or T-600?? Do you happen to have pics of the interior?? Is the body scratch built or a factory deal,And you did all the rest of it? Looks real Clean & Smooth!! Is that some kind of Federal/State Goverment Decal on the side of the hood?
Old 02-17-2006, 11:29 PM   #14

.....hit the left side title "General Discussion" with your cursor and it will appear.....majic stuff you know...geofkaye
Old 02-20-2006, 12:21 AM   #15
Joe

Love Jimi, it is a t-400 and we built it from scratch. The decal is the state seal of Alaska, where i used to be in law enforcement. interior to follow joe
Old 03-02-2006, 06:27 AM   #16

Just to help all of you ballpark a Class 8, we start with a 5 year old Volvo VN with 5-600K and we expect to pay 20K or less. Another 4-5K for stretching and 2 new aluminum wheels. Then figure 4-4.5K a running foot for a complete coach with all the bells and whistles and hardwood finishes - birch, cherry and maple,not Menards oak cabinets. When you are done, a 28 footer should cost you well under 150K retail.

Want one? Check us out.

www.toolset<A HREF="http://www.toolsetmotorhomes.com" TARGET=_blank>ToolSet Custom Designed Motorhomes</A>
anthony desnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:30 AM   #17

Sorry, I'll never get this right.

www.toolsetmotorhomes.com

anthony desnick is offline   Reply With Quote